Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to take my son on first tent camping trip in N.E. Iowa this weekend. Any suggestions? I want to wow him a bit so I keep his interest.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
680 Posts
Backbone State Park by Strawberry Point. Even has a cave, plus a beach, the Devil's Backbone to hike, and is generally a kewl place to camp. Have taken, family, friends and Scouts there over the years.

RR

·
Registered
42 Posts
Cool, do it right and hook him for life. Nature and good basic skills never go out of style

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. We ended up going to Big Paint in Yellow River Forest. He had a blast hiking and playing in the stream. Probably stay closer to home next time and do Palo or Backbone. He's definitely into primitive camping!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
680 Posts
Big Paint is good, yeah. Backpacked Yellow River SF back in "87 with my son and a buddy and his son. Afterwards ended up in Backbone for the first of several visits.

RR

·
Registered
11 Posts
Depending on where you're at and how far you want to go, I love yellow river, but there are places closer to cedar rapids too. Pinicon ridge, nice trails and a group camp area, just checked out another one to the west of CR ,can't remember the name, along with private land,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts