Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Be prepared
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my friends here any way I must say it is a important gear to own if you think price is way too much well I have a link I will leave for you as you cannot put a price on this.

Along with the NBC gear have you trained in them? it is diffrent shooting from a mask and to learn to sight with a chemical mask in a hostile event at the last min. is not good. I bring this up just in case no one has thought of training in them along with the mask you have rubber gloves so trigger will feel diffrent and so on and on so think of training with them on.

Here is a great link for NBC gear do not forget the suit or the mask hood.

https://www.mainemilitary.com/Default.asp

Also a great link to help exsplain the things you need:

I hope this helps you all

·
Registered
15 Posts
when i was in iraq on telic 1 we used to get into full romeo at least 3 times a day for the first week, i was more interested in avoiding being killed with nerve agent then being shot and used to carry a razor in my pocket and shaved every 2 hours to ensure a seal on the respirator. the N.B.C suits hindered movement and made you sweat a lot, id wear it to get used to the suit.

there's a British army saying about putting on the respirator

"be in time don in 9"

also the suits aren't a be all and end all solution they are only designed to last 24 hrs, to enable a the soldier to carry out his task after that they are as much use as a chocolate kettle,also with most of the blood and nerve agents around today you not only need the suit but also the N.A.P.S tablets and combo pens

if any of us are unfortunate enough to be caught in a N.B.C attack i think we would be pretty much goosed.​

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Um, though the people who made those videos seem to have good intentions :rolleyes:, there are some things that need to be addressed however.

1. Detection. How are you going to know WHEN to use this stuff? What if the cat keels over from a heart attack because of too much cat chow and not enough exercise? Are you gonna grab your trusty 20+ year old Ruskie mask? Waiting on environmental indicators, i.e., trees, plants, birds, loved ones to die is not the preferred way. :eek:

Some types of detection paper (M8 or M9) will help, they are only good for liquids and not vapors.

2. Decon. If you get exposed, you gotta decon. How are you going to do that? 20 year old M258A1 kits? The chlorine bleach you keep at home for laundry will work just fine! Just use a .5% for personal decon and 5% for equipment.

3. Practice. In order to practice, you need enough gear for the WHOLE family, sans the cat, to practice regularly. How often is your husband or wife going to practice with you? How about the kids? What if you have kids under the age of two that can not produce enough respiratory strength to pull air through the filter?

4. Buy quality NBC gear. Stay away from surplus junk from this country and especially other countries. THere is a reason it was sold on the market. Either it was old, i.e. it's shelf life is over (including "new in the wrap") or it was superceded by something better. I have seen pallets of chem suits that failed testing waiting to be sold at gov't auctions only to appear on the market as serviceable. Going to the dollar store for chem gloves is NOT the answer.

5. Oh, the chem boots mentioned in the video have always been chem boots and never to my knowledge meant to be used as rain boots.

6. No matter what the country of origin, ALL NBC gear has a shelf life. Most of the gear that come up for sale is expired, even if it is new in the wrap. (I mentioned this 2x 'cause it's that important :thumb: )

Just though I'd share a few pearls of wisdom.

Chili

·
Welcome to reality
43 Posts
Nbc folly

Excellent points Chili... I think that both of you guys are correct. Yes it is nice to have at least some kind of NBC gear. However one must think about all the rules with NBC, such as detection, rapid response, air tight seal, quality equipment, etc.. I think of NBC stuff for us civilians kinda like a condom in the wallet. It is there if you need it and far better to have and not need than to need and not have.. Even dollar store gloves and 20+ year old chem suits will protect you from tear gas, CS, CN, and whatnot. Did anyone ever consider that the little old water treatment facility across town, is loaded with tons of chlorine that, if it fell victim to govt neglegance or a terrorist attack, could vaporize chlorine and transform it into chlorine gas. That scenario could be witnessed and those without even a simple israeli mask would be SOL.. just my two cents.. By the way the guy in the video is Mark Koernke who was one of the leading figures in the Michigan militia during the Clinton days

·
Pastor
1,965 Posts
Yes, I do own the equipment.
Yes, I have been trained in the Army NBC school.
It will only me too function for a short period of time, since a decon stations will not fit in my pack ;)
If lethal chemicals are used against me, I figure I will be able too function from a few min. too a few hours, depending on the type of chemical used.
This will allow me the precious time required, too kill those responcible for my death.
Don't assume that any of that gear will make you immune, it won't.
Has anyone aquired the meds required for all of the potential threats?
The answer is no, because it is illegal too own them.
Don't fool yourselves about thier effectiveness.
Buy some, with the intent of buying that extra time for retribution, but know that you have a 99% probability of dieing from exposure too whatever is used, aside from CS.

·
Welcome to reality
43 Posts
Hmmmm Why is it that over in Israel they have a GOVT program to issue gas masks to everyone, including the atropine autoinjectors. Yet here in the states the only ones with gas masks are (a) people who work in HAZ-MAT, (b) first responders, EMS cops etc. (c) military personnel (d) "crazy survivalist" people like us ??.. I mean the GOVT seems to want their people to stay alive, yet they could care less for our safety regarding NBC. And anyone who has the drugs neccessary in the states is in possesion of illegal good.? WHY? So in Israel NBC protection=good for everyone, In the USA NBC protection= only for the govt and not you. I am questioning those motives. I own a gas mask but no drugs or decon stuff, and i guess the allure has to to with the "i am not supposed to know how to use this stuff" line of thinking. Well again just my 2 cents

·
Registered
252 Posts
We have complete sets for three.

There are just two of us. The third is for parts or a visitor, just in case.

We done the sets on a reguar basis to stay fresh with procedures but do not , nor have ever, trained in them.

By training, I presume you mean active patroling or ops.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts