Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has gout in both feet and very high blood pressure, he has to take medications daily to keep both under control. Does any one out there know of a nautral cure for the gout and high blood pressure. When the economy get really bad he want be able to afford the expensive doctors visits and all the medication he has to take daily.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
My son has gout in both feet and very high blood pressure, he has to take medications daily to keep both under control. Does any one out there know of a nautral cure for the gout and high blood pressure. When the economy get really bad he want be able to afford the expensive doctors visits and all the medication he has to take daily.
My first question is - how over weight is he and how bad out of shape is he? And lets not sugar coat things by saying "oh he is only 15 or 20 pounds overweight" when he is 5 feet 9 inches and weighs 225 pounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gout
As arterial hypertension quite often coexists with gout, treating it with losartan, an angiotensin II receptor antagonist, might have an additional beneficial effect on uric acid plasma levels. This way losartan can offset the negative side-effect of thiazides (a group of diuretics used for high blood pressure) on uric acid metabolism in patients with gout.

High blood pressure is directly related to being over weight, poor eating habits and being out of shape. So if you fix one, you might fix the other one. So lets fix the eating habits, get to your ideal weight, and go from there.

Gout is suspected to be secondary to untreated sleep apnea in some cases, caused by the release of purines as a by-product of the breakdown of oxygen-starved cells. Treatment for apnea can therefore be effective in lessening incidence of acute gout attacks.
Some cases of sleep apnea are directly related to being over weight.

A 2004 study suggests that animal flesh sources of purine (such as beef and seafood) greatly increase the risk of developing gout. However, high-purine vegetable sources (such as asparagus, cauliflower, spinach, and green peas) did not. Dairy products such as milk and cheese significantly reduced the chances of gout. The study followed over 40000 men over a period of 12 years, in which 1300 cases of gout were reported.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
My son is about 50 lbs. overweight. He is a truck driver, gone for 6 weeks at a time. The only food he gets to eat is what he buys at the truck stops.
Sounds like that might be a major part of the problem - that fast food will kill you. And combine that with a lack of exercise.

I know its not the answer you wanted, but most conditions and diseases are caused by what we put in our mouth.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,005 Posts
Gout is effectively cured in 24 hrs with several small glasses of cherry juice. It is the only non drug cure that is proven to work every time. The problem is pure cherry juice without water and a bunch of filler is hard to come by.

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
I was going to say apple cider vinegar, the good kind you get at a health food store, not the processed stuff at the groceries, but Chris beat me to it.

Also go to a Super Walmart and get dark chocolate, the kind that says Cacao on the front with % of that in it. Like 70% cacao. That stuff will lower your BP and cholestrol. But does he need to lose some weight too?

·
Registered
688 Posts
No booze and no meat would be a good start. It's (gout) from too much urich acid in the blood.

Lots of exercise for HB.

·
281 Posts
I too have suffered with gout and can therefore sympathize with your son, it is very painful condition. Walking can worsen the effects...so he should limit his movement during onset of attacks. I have found that eating cherries and other typyes of berries which are rich in anti- oxidents are most benefical. Especially plain cherries in can form. These seem to lower acidic levels,. and shorten episodes from four or five days to a couple usually. Limit all red meat intake and especially any type of organ meats, liver and such... Hope this helps.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Gout is effectively cured in 24 hrs with several small glasses of cherry juice. It is the only non drug cure that is proven to work every time. The problem is pure cherry juice without water and a bunch of filler is hard to come by.

Some health food stores keep Cherry Juice that is pure. I hear it is very expensive though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also suffer from gout. I buy black cherry juice concentrate from a health food store, GNC carries it too...as soon as you start feeling the gout attack coming on take 3 Tablespoons of it several times a day...if you take it before the attack gets bad it'll help quite a bit. I have recently gone to my doctor and gotten on some prescription preventive medication and it has helped me alot. I still keep the cherry juice around though for the occasional mild attacks. Good luck with it...I know how awfully painful it can be.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I know this reply is a bit late, but I have only just now joined this site. There have been many suggestions as how to treat gout. Rather than just treating the problem, why don't you try to prevent it altogether? Gout, like the vast majority of other illnesses, is directly linked to the diet.

My father suffered from gout, type II diabetes, and he was extremely overweight. He has had two open heart surgeries, and a few months ago I had to take him to the emergency room for congestive heart failure. I grew so sick and tired of him complaining about his health when he would do nothing to improve his health other than take the medications that the doctors prescribed.

We should not have to take medications in order to live our day to day lives. Most illnesses are a direct result of a poor diet and lack of discipline. I am a vegan, and I had tried for many months to persuade my father to follow the vegan diet. After his last trip to the ER, he finally decided to give it a try.

Well, my father is 64 yrs old. Prior to the vegan diet he took insulin injections and he been taking them since his early 30s. He was about 120lbs overweight, and his cholesterol was near 300.

14 weeks after starting the vegan diet, he had dropped almost 60lbs of body fat, his cholesterol was 175, his gout was gone, and he had stopped taking his insulin as well as many other prescriptions.

My point is, people do not take enough responsibility for themselves. I'm not saying that the vegan diet is a cure for every illness, but it is a great start. You said that your son is a truck driver and can only eat at truck stops. That is a cop out. Your son can stop at a grocery store or any number of place to get healthy food.

·
Talk To The Hand
658 Posts
You can also EAT cherries. Avoid red meat, nuts plus beer & wine--all high purine items. Gout is due to high uric acid levels in bloodstream--the "rich man's disease".

Magnesium supplements can lower blood pressure without all the toxic side-effects of pharmaceuticals. Cut down on sodium intake, too. No more Big Macs and Fries!! :D:

·
Registered
881 Posts
+1 to cherry juice. I weigh 200lbs, am 6'1" and have had gout since stubbing a toe at age 30 (38 in 2 months). I've tried special diets for the cholesterol, but doctors realized it's from my genes ~ all men in my dad's family, up until my dad, died by their mid-60s because of heart issues. Now he, my brother and I are all on Lipitor or Prevastatin.

I get cherry juice concentrate from Wal-mart (in the cooled juice carton aisle) and drink a 1/5 ratio after eating beef and it has reduced the pain and swelling, big time.

I also have a friend whose uncle soaks his clean feet in a bottle of hydrogen peroxide one day and epsom salts the next day. He says the peroxide bubbles, just as if it's cleaning infection out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i also have severe gout and high bp i used devil's claw root and black cherry extract it worked pretty good for a while but my body starts rejecting it after a while but what i did most of all was change my diet absolutely no coke or any kind of soft drink or beer the acid content in both boosts the uric acid in the both which causes really bad flare ups for me could not walk for a week at a time had to buy cruthces and a wheel chair just for when i get gout flare ups now I'm on allipurinol 300mg been gout free now for almost a year and its pretty cheap $12.00 for a 30 day supply hope this helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.