Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife was making salsa today and asked me to grab the canning pot for her. When pulling it out of the utility room cupboard I came across an old National No. 7 pressure cooker that had gotten pushed to the back and forgotten about. Not sure at all of the integrity/serviceability of this unit (though it looks pretty good). It seems to have everything but the jiggler rocker. First stop in researching my find was SB and wouldn't you know it I did find a post from 2013 with a link for parts.
I don't have a lot of experience with canning with a pressure cooker beyond watching mom do it as a kid and the knowledge base of research I 've done over the years but am interested to give it a whirl if for nothing more than to get experience for emergency use if the power is going to be down long term to can any meat products that can't be kept frozen though am sure it will see some fairly regular use once we get going.

Questions-
Should I simply buy a new seal and the missing Jiggler Rocker?
Should I convert to the new regulator kit which, "replaces the pressure control weight or petcock
originally packaged with canners of this type"?
Should I pony up and replace every thing available (cost of this isn't that much more)?
Should I use this thing at all?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Depends on the condition it in, look at the locking and sealing surfaces closely. Does it have a fuse (safety disk) How much does it hold?
In general looks to be in pretty good condition. The locking and sealing surfaces look good but don't know that I would know what "bad" looks like unless it was overtly corroded. As far as I can tell its a 16 qt model. I clearly need to do more research as the pictures I have seen on line look similar but the lid I have appears to have three protrusions; the pressure dial gauge, petcock screw (minus the weight/jiggler) and what I assume is the vent pipe (just behind the petcock), while most of the pictures have only the gauge and petcock.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can usually take them to a local county extension office and they can pressure test it for you. I have one I found at a thrift store. Around 1947 as best I can tell. 😁
How did you go about dating yours?

·
Registered
798 Posts
My Sweetie is a well experienced master level preserver and pressure canner...
Second hand info I have gained from her... If just starting to pressure can, or low level of experience at canning, have these things on hand..
A good quality canner ready to use, with instructions..
Jars, lids the appropriate size for the things you plan to preserve.. Example.. Pint and half pint jars for jelly and jam.. Pint jars for vegetables for family meals..
The small tools to fill, handle jars you process.. Canning funnel, jar lifter, magnetic lid handler.. Cooling rack... Many kitchen towels and dish rags..
A recent copy of the Complete Ball Blue Book of canning..

The best thing to have is an experienced, patient mentor to help teach and raise you skill and confidence level with many small successes.. Sweetie has mentored a number of people in our bush community to good success...

With skill and confidence... Then is the time to branch out to refurbish and use an older canner to help with larger batches of product or to use a family heirloom..

We have bought several All American brand pressure canners at garage sales and such that with a little TLC and some new parts have worked well for us..

Good luck
My 5 cents of experience...

·
Registered
931 Posts
National number 7 is a good canner, I have several of them. If it doesn't have any defects, I'd replace the gasket and the pressure plug. The petcocks usually don't give any trouble, but they can be updated to the "jiggler" style if they are missing. It should have one or the other, not both. The gauge might be fine, your local extension office should be able to check it for you.

·
Jackpine Savage
7,534 Posts
In general looks to be in pretty good condition. The locking and sealing surfaces look good but don't know that I would know what "bad" looks like unless it was overtly corroded. As far as I can tell its a 16 qt model. I clearly need to do more research as the pictures I have seen on line look similar but the lid I have appears to have three protrusions; the pressure dial gauge, petcock screw (minus the weight/jiggler) and what I assume is the vent pipe (just behind the petcock), while most of the pictures have only the gauge and petcock.
Looking at the parts list in your link, could your 3rd protrusion be the automatic vent pipe stuck in the "up" position?

·
Registered
578 Posts
National number 7 is a good canner, I have several of them. If it doesn't have any defects, I'd replace the gasket and the pressure plug. The petcocks usually don't give any trouble, but they can be updated to the "jiggler" style if they are missing. It should have one or the other, not both. The gauge might be fine, your local extension office should be able to check it for you.
My all American canner has both. I trust the jiggler over the gauge.

·
ICBM Warrior
1,114 Posts
How did you go about dating yours?
I apparently took a guess...been a few years. I would have been wrong though based on this info...

It's got the wooden handles on it still and it's a National #7 which puts it in the 1925-1939 year range. I got a new sealing ring, safety plug, weight and gauge. So far in a test, the gauge and weight were in agreement.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I apparently took a guess...been a few years. I would have been wrong though based on this info...

It's got the wooden handles on it still and it's a National #7 which puts it in the 1925-1939 year range. I got a new sealing ring, safety plug and gauge.
That coincides with what I know about them- I have my great-grandmother's Co-Op canner, which was made by National, and has the wooden handles and it was purchased by her sometime in the thirties.
If the handles ever break, as they sometimes do, you can get plastic replacements still.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I literally just posted the same question about an old Sears pressure cooker last week. Do a quick search. I ordered all the seals, jiggler weight with new vent tube for $35. from Presto Pressure Cooker Parts - Cooking and Canning Co. based on info from a member on here. 9/14/2022 I think is the date of my post.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts

pic of mine, looks very similar. dated 1969 in the manual. the weight typically comes with a new vent pipe because (as i've researched) they are matched in taper so they jiggle properly. I sprayed it down with Awesome degreaser from Dollar tree and hosed it off. It was a black and greasy mess before I took this pic.

Gas Font Cylinder Tin Lid

·
Jackpine Savage
7,534 Posts

pic of mine, looks very similar. dated 1969 in the manual. the weight typically comes with a new vent pipe because (as i've researched) they are matched in taper so they jiggle properly. I sprayed it down with Awesome degreaser from Dollar tree and hosed it off. It was a black and greasy mess before I took this pic.

View attachment 468301
Does that have a weight that the gauge is blocking the view of?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Made contact with the local extension office and set up to have it checked.
Looking at the parts list in your link, could your 3rd protrusion be the automatic vent pipe stuck in the "up" position?
Could be. At least that's what I am assuming.

It's got the wooden handles on it still and it's a National #7 which puts it in the 1925-1939 year range. I got a new sealing ring, safety plug, weight and gauge. So far in a test, the gauge and weight were in agreement.

The one I've got has wooden handles as well. Figured I'd replace those same parts as the cost is minimal.

Reactions: wildwes
1 - 20 of 20 Posts