1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
We all know that local, state, and federal government will have an impossible task quarantining areas of the country. So a show of force is needed for the first small area to make the larger areas go along with it later on. NYC will eventually get quarantined and after this "show of force", the state will have an easier time implementing it; with the media on one side and a handful of NG troops at the bridges and tunnels on the other.

·
Sinner w/ a great Savior
3,919 Posts
Or purely political.

Well, whether political or because it's actually necessary, it's surreal either way.
Exactly. Whether political or an act of concern for citizens or both is immaterial, both politics and virii exist in our world and both cause impact we don't like so a good threat assessment takes in all the facts and says, Okay, time to take action now :thumb: If this happened in my city I might just head to the BOL, but definitely if I were within the area to be contained.

·
Registered
241 Posts
National Guard being deployed in New York

BREAKING:
A one-mile “containment” zone is being created in New Rochelle, NY, an epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak that’s just outside New York City. The state plans to have the National Guard clean schools and deliver food - NYT

NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo announces containment zone around New Rochelle, lasting until 3/25; National Guard to be deployed to assist in food delivery, cleaning.

"This is the single greatest public health challenge we have in the state right now."

https://abcn.ws/33blccv

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/...tainment-area.html?smid=tw-nytmetro&smtyp=cur
I am in the city but havent been going to work and havent left my neighbourhood.

·
boringly normal
308 Posts
I read a few of the rules for the containment area. Did I read it correctly, people can come an go in the area, just not leave it ? Only large gathering places were shutdown?
What real good does that do?
It gets the Nat. Guard moving now, and heading for a ce3ntral position. We all know how the numbers will go, for the number infected, right? Starting them moving now makes sense, if its going to take 2 days..

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Annnnd it is Cuomo, the only Gov I can remember to shut down interstates with a bad snowstorm. A blizzard, yes not a storm. There are crossing bars on some of the entrances to 81 indicating this is going to be a way of life.

Will have to go check out quarantine rules vs state of emergency. I think there are some differences, iirc.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Annnnd it is Cuomo, the only Gov I can remember to shut down interstates with a bad snowstorm. A blizzard, yes not a storm. There are crossing bars on some of the entrances to 81 indicating this is going to be a way of life.

Will have to go check out quarantine rules vs state of emergency. I think there are some differences, iirc.
Where I live some of the interstates have permanent gates that can be closed
for blizzards. This is not the same as a travel ban.

·
Republic of Texas
1,219 Posts

Quite a few states do that. Truck traffic is actually the first thing they ban. First state highways then the interstates then they shut the rest down.

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
Spent three nights and two days in Rock Springs, WY camped in my van once, waiting for I-80 to re-open. Not that much snow, either, but high winds. They didn't want to have vehicles off in the ditch fifty or sixty miles from any help. people would have died out there. (I myself was snug as a bug in a rug, in a Walmart parking lot. Had a thick sleeping bag, access to anything Walmart could offer, and was able to pirate wifi from a nearby Holiday Inn. Luxury! )

1 - 20 of 29 Posts