Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I would like to get away from it all and go on a good 5 day camping trip in a Northern Ca. National Forest. In the National Forest you are a loud to shoot your rifles or hand guns This is why I like camping there. Plus many of them have great lakes for fishing. I have only camped in the Mendocino National Forest. I would like to try a new camping place. I have a 4X4 truck so I can get into the hard to reach areas. Can any of you recommend any good National Forest you PERSONALLY have camped in. Please tell me why you like this place. I live in San Rafael Ca. And I am willing to travel 4-5hrs for some good camping....

·
Por la gloria!
539 Posts
Lassen National Forest

Go to Lassen National Forest. I have personally been there one time per year for the last 4 years. It is a great area and I not only go target shooting:D:, but also fish:thumb:.

·
Registered
enough to sleep well at night
4,734 Posts
I would go North of Yosemite on out towards Sonora Pass ...hwy 108 just east of the Crest is a Lake called Levitt Lake... Hot springs around the area on the road going in, and a neat area from Mi Wuk Village CA east Strawberry CA East has Eagle meadows and Herring Creek Reservior, you are about 4 hours from this High Sierra Nevada area 7500 plus feet you should be able to get away from everyone from Strawberry East with 4 wheel drive...Spent a lot of time in this area in the Military Great area to be left alone ...
Fish camp CA on CA HWY 41 south of Yosemite has area east called the Iron Lakes Star lakes etc this area is 8000 Feet plus and clustered with old mines and great fishing with a little hiking and Research a person can get to the Merced River...

out of Mariposa CA on the South Fork of the Merced River approx 4 miles up stream from the fork of the North Merced River is a Place calledHites Cove the richest find of mines in Mariposa County this is a large concentrated area full of old mines and fishing on the river is excellent...The road is is 4 wheel drive for 4 miles before coming to the river this can be accessed through Boot jack and Jerseydale.... Good luck have fun be safe and let someone know where you will be and return just incase of misfortune

Or a trip North to Shasta Country and Head east towars Susanville and pick a remote side road along the way to find the Ideal spot...

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, thanks for the telling me about some new places I need to check out. This sounds just like the places I am looking for. I need to charge my JPS and check my maps. Thanks Again!!

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Hmmm....

In the national forests in SoCal you are definitely NOT allowed to shoot recreationally unless you are at a private range leased for the purpose. All the unofficial shooting areas any where near me have been shut down. You can still hunt in season, so all isn't lost, but you have to use lead free ammunition.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
In reading the sept 09 backpacker mag from
http://books.google.com/books/serial/ISSN:0277867X?rview=0&source=gbs_navlinks_s
There was an interesting article on the land grab by the govt that effectively stole land from homeowners who lived and worked what is now national park or 'protected' land.
Where you plan to go hiking and whatnot, whole communities once thrived.
Some were permitted to stay but with restrictions on what they could and could not do. Effectively making it impossible to stay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.