Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen more snakes out in the woods and fields this year while turkey hunting than ever before. It's really quite amazing - we've yet to be out there, for almost a month now, where we have not run into at least one, usually more than one and as many as a half dozen, snakes of some kind - I mean they are everywhere.

This one was in my turkey stand under a tipped-up bucket.

Name that snake and what you would have done with him/her ...

·
Low on tolerance....
470 Posts
I'm not that great at this and it would help to know what part of the country, but from the pics maybe a bullsnake?

·
Banned
5,718 Posts
Cotton mouth/water moccasin

Note the triangular pit viper head and fat blobby body.

They have no sense at all, dont mess with them. They arent aggressive but get excited easily and do stupid things. Unlike their cousins the copperheads who are much mellower.

Last one I saw was in Everglades Nat. Park in the middle of the road...all I had to move it with was a limp pine branch, and I was wearing sandals.....dang fool did not want to move.

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep - cottonmouth is the correct answer. How this one didn't bite me, I do not know because I literally touched her before I knew she was there.

So - I figured since she cut me some slack, I cut her some slack and put her in a bucket and carried her to a pile of timber not far from the chicken houses but on this side of a nice little swampy/creek area where I know lots of mice and rats like to hangout. Hopefully, there, she will be able to live a peaceful life with plenty of grub.

This is a young snake - she's probably no more than a year or two old at most. She's got parents somewhere.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
It's definitely a young Cottonmouth (Agkistrodon piscivorus). Notice the stripe on the side of it's head and the short fat body. Cottonmouths (Water Mocassins) can be almost totally black or dark banded. Compare your pic on the left with a previous adult Cottonmouth from my private collection on the right. Again, notice the stripe on the side of both of their heads. These snakes are very tempermental and have no sense of humor whatsoever. As for what I would have done with it...relocation. I don't kill snakes for any reason.

Attachments

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are some better pics ... I posted those darker ones first thinking it might stump someone, but it didn't - should'uv known. But yeah, as you can see ... the bucket she is in is the one I sit on in my Turkey blind. It was still too dark ... but even after I touched her and covered her back up I sat on the bucket for a few hours trying to get a turkey, then took the bucket and put her in it and took her over near the chicken houses ...

·
Registered
966 Posts
I think you are much more comfortable with snakes than me. While not phobic I prefer them to stay outside and away from me and out of my sight. If startled by this snake as I think I would have been finding it the way you did, I think the turkey hunting would have been ruined by the sound of me emptying my shotgun and cussing at the top of my lungs. As for relocation you released it near your chicken coop? I know farmers and even youth camp directors that keep black snakes around to eat mice rats and even copperheads and I completely understand the reasoning, but I would think that a very poisonous snake with the bad temperment these have would be relocated ten or twenty miles from my home in the most sparsely populated area I can find.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
That is a pit viper and they are poisonous. Cottonmouths are of that pit viper group as are rattlesnakes, copperheads and others.

Please learn to recognize the pit between the nostrils and the eyes, and stay clear. They can strike about 1/2 the length of their body, you know.

Pit vipers also have blocky heads, distinct necks, vertically slit eyes and rough scales which is what I saw at a glance and instantly knew it was poisonous, even in a small picture. Check this one out. LINK

Cottonmouths are unpredictable and I think you got lucky.

Some poisonous snakes like coral snakes aren't pit vipers but they are very dangerous.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts