Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nalgene V Klean Kanteen and Knock-Offs V Original Product

I am seeing some dirt cheap knock-offs of Klean Kanteens (KK). Made in China (MIC). Haven't checked to see where Klean Kanteen is made. Anyone know off hand?

Do people choose KK over Nalgene over the chemical/plastics fear OR other reasons?

Would you avoid a knock-off of KK for any reason, ie MIC and fear of some sort of poisoning?

For example, Walgreens had a KK looking bottle 2 for $9 or something like that. TJ Maxx had an Oggi brand MIC bottle.

Opinions?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The knock-offs are complete garbage!!!! I have had about 10 different brands and the only ones that are worth the money are the Klean Kanteens. The other ones Rust and have really sharp drinking lips.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Unless being and looking "green" is a huge issue, there's no reason to swap out the simple and effective (now BPA fee:rolleyes:) Nalgene water bottles. With that said, the only reason of having the Klean Kanteens or Guyot/Nalgene Stainless bottles are for emergency double-duty where you can boil water in them directly over the coals. The Guyot design is much more substantial than the Klean Kanteens...thicker walls and they take all the standard threaded attachments that Nalgene does.

I would avoid all the aluminum or steel bottles that have ceramic linings; unless you just plan to use them for water. I would avoid aluminum all together. If you want to reduce weight, stick with the the Nalgene; if you want a bottle that you can boil water in, get stainless steel (Klean Kantenn or Guyot/Nalgene stainless bottles).

Aftermarket (the cheap Chineses copies) are a waist of money. I had a some free ones (Army Re-enlistment hand-outs) where one broke when dropped and the other's lid melted in the dishwasher (I wash all my Nalgene's by hand, but every once in a while my wife will toss them in the dishwasher). I would't spend $2-3 bucks on those cheap ones if you plan to take it anywhere outside your house and rely on it.

ROCK6

·
Registered
61 Posts
I use both Nalgene and KK. My KK stays in my truck year round and last year I had it filled to much and it froze and the bottom was bulging and it would not sit flat. I took a hammer to it and with a few hits and a few dents later all is good. I like the KK bottles but will use my Nalgene as well. I hate knock offs. America needs to get away from made in China. What ever happened to made in the US. Support Americans and there jobs.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
why not just use a simple bottle of water, you know, the plastic ones, or a good hydration pack? you want to boil water!? not a problem!!! carry a little metal bowl!
It kills me to see people spending lots of money on equipment they never need or that can be replaced by home made or something chipper. say NO to the shiny new equip!

it reminds me a little story about NASA spending millions of tax dollars to invent a space pen that would write in none gravity condition on any surface... while Russians used a simple pencil that answered the needs of an astronaut, no glamor but useful. take a little lesson from that crazy ass ruskis!

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Little plastic bottles leech. As a guy who went camping and hiking every week for three to four days before moving out to the woods, I've drank thousands of gallons out of my oldest nalgene. Not only would I have gone through $20 worth of disposable waterbottles, i'd be afraid to know how many chemicals I had in my body. Also, owning a waterbottle discourages you from buying disposable bottles, saving you even more money. My nalgene is always in my satchel or truck.

I like things I only have to buy once. Wife has a clean canteen, but I hate the sound the sipper lid makes; like a cat with it's tail stuck in the gates of hell... But she insists it keeps water colder: she'll sit there drinking HOT water and telling me it's cold. I just have to laugh.

We both have hydration bladders for our packs, but they are impractical to take on hikes.

·
Free Born
2,446 Posts
why not just use a simple bottle of water, you know, the plastic ones, or a good hydration pack? you want to boil water!? not a problem!!! carry a little metal bowl!
It kills me to see people spending lots of money on equipment they never need or that can be replaced by home made or something chipper. say NO to the shiny new equip!

it reminds me a little story about NASA spending millions of tax dollars to invent a space pen that would write in none gravity condition on any surface... while Russians used a simple pencil that answered the needs of an astronaut, no glamor but useful. take a little lesson from that crazy ass ruskis!
Typical ignorant answer, because thoes little plastic bottles are CRAP and non sustanable pollutants. "say NO to the shiny new equip!" Because that shiny new Klean Kanteen will do everything you mentioned above, and be usable for many years to come without destroying the environment.

·
Registered
44 Posts
From the beginning my kids used only glass baby bottles. I used to put them in my beer kozys in case they dropped them. They graduated to sigg bottles but the problem with those are they dent easily and i
Am not to fond of aluminum. When the klean cantines came out we bought those stainless imo is the only way to go we probably have like 15 of those floating around the house now. They have a sippy top fot the toddlers a sports top for the six year old and a regular cap for me. I use the cheep knock offs for my chain saw on trips. One for
Mixed gas and onr for bar oil. I have one for coleman fuel for the stove.

·
Getting Older
1,233 Posts

I figure if you can afford to at least justify buying the nice stuff then buy the nice stuff. I figure a good reliable multipurpose item is better than carrying around a lot of cheap junk.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Somebody here had a sig a while back that said:

Only a rich man can afford cheap tools.

I consider it more relevant to shovels and saws, but I think it holds true here. 10 year old water bottles indicates quite a savings.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Little plastic bottles leech. As a guy who went camping and hiking every week for three to four days before moving out to the woods, I've drank thousands of gallons out of my oldest nalgene. Not only would I have gone through $20 worth of disposable waterbottles, i'd be afraid to know how many chemicals I had in my body. Also, owning a waterbottle discourages you from buying disposable bottles, saving you even more money. My nalgene is always in my satchel or truck.

I like things I only have to buy once. Wife has a clean canteen, but I hate the sound the sipper lid makes; like a cat with it's tail stuck in the gates of hell... But she insists it keeps water colder: she'll sit there drinking HOT water and telling me it's cold. I just have to laugh.

We both have hydration bladders for our packs, but they are impractical to take on hikes.
first of all, I think I ate enough dust to backup my words so don't feed me with "I hike every day"! second, The "little plastic bottles are reusable, you need just to wash it.
if you are afraid of the chemicals of a simple water bottle, think about what you breath when you burn a camp fire... CHEMICALS, LOTS OF THEM! if you are so afraid of them, sterilize your home, and stay there... every thing else in life is bio hazard! about the bladder and the canteens, I think if I used both for 3 years in middle eastern heat, so you can survive with it in the woods for a day or two, no? the only thing with bladder is the fact you don't have indication of how much water you consume or left.
that's the problem, you miss the point of trekking. The point is not buying tons of equipment and make nature like home... the only stuff you need to spend money for is your cloths and boots, every thing else is misc.!

that's my humble opinion, every one have his truth!

·
Welcome to reality
43 Posts
Typical ignorant answer, because thoes little plastic bottles are CRAP and non sustanable pollutants. "say NO to the shiny new equip!" Because that shiny new Klean Kanteen will do everything you mentioned above, and be usable for many years to come without destroying the environment.
I use US MILITARY SURPLUS. The Army 2 qaurt canteen with the fur lined cover and the one qaurt ones with the metal canteen cup. Those are old and fit the bill nicely.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
I used the real issue stuff for a while. Watch those 2 quarts. I lost 2 to freezing, 2 to jumps, and one to a rucksack flop. The middle seam in the plastic is easily weakened by ascention, cold temps, or simply brute force. The 1qt are absolutely bullet proof though. Bad for keeping tastes though. A straight GI canteen kit with cover and cup is a good piece of kit.

·
Getting Older
1,233 Posts
I used the real issue stuff for a while. Watch those 2 quarts. I lost 2 to freezing, 2 to jumps, and one to a rucksack flop. The middle seam in the plastic is easily weakened by ascention, cold temps, or simply brute force. The 1qt are absolutely bullet proof though. Bad for keeping tastes though. A straight GI canteen kit with cover and cup is a good piece of kit.
I glad somebody told that you can't freeze them. I usually like to freeze my water before I go hiking (Georgia gets hot). I'll not be buying one. :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am wondering if Lexan Nalgene is the old type with the BPA?? Also, do the Camelbak Nalgene-like bottles have the indestructible qualities AND the ability to hold hot water to act as a hot water bottle in your sleeping bag?

·
Registered
475 Posts

That story about NASA is pure bull. They used pencils until a the Fisher pen company designed a pen that could be used in space. Please don't spread the lie!
True information on the history of the space pen here

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I see the beauty of a SS Bottle, in addition to a pot or cup, is the ability to heat up a volume of water to take with you for a while. So I may cook breakfast in my cup, but heat up my bottle as well to take with me. The double walled KK widemouths might be good for keeping hot water with you as well, up to 6 hours. Many is the time I'd wished I still had a hotwet with me, and no opportunity to make one. (Hot DrPepper, or Hot Jello ... mmm)

Some other uses: 1) boiling drinking water. Now that you've boiled water for clean drinking in your GSI or GI Cup, where you gonna pour it? Been there. Gotta wait for it to cool before you can pour it into plastic for travel, or dump it if you have to move faster than you planned. If you just use a KK it's already contained for travel, just slip it into a couple of socks (which will be nice and toasty at the next sock change. 2) loss/damage of cup/cup handle. Always nice to have a back up; use a big mouth KK to cook in. I've been known to shave in my canteen cup, which makes the coffee taste funny.

I've got all 3 in my BOB, hydration bladder, nalgene canteen, SS bottle/cup. Plus a SS flask. I'm betting the SS bottle/cup will still be working a few years after the bladder and nalgene fail, although I'm betting the nalgene canteen will take more abuse than the bladder.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts