Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Myth: It is ok to drink water striaght from a running river and stream without purification or boiling.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
After/during steelhead season, a couple dead bodies usually show up in the Snake River. Old/drunk people have a tendency to lose their balance in a fishing boat. Just something to think about

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Didnt they just pull one out a few days ago?
Yes, down by Red Wolf Bridge in Clarkston. Seems like that is where they always wind up:D:

Reactions: rem243

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,309 Posts
It would depend on if you enjoy being really sick or if you prefer to stay healthy.

If you want to stay healthy, don't drink the water without purifying it.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
I think our ancestors had to survive by drinking whatever water they could find.

With that said, most people in the US and Canada would be in for a rude awakening if they had no source of fresh clean water and were forced to drink from a lake or stream.

Many if not most Mexicans drink "dirty" water and suffer no major ill effect from it. They have managed to be exposed to most of the critters in water and have built up an immunity to it.

This is what would happen to most Americans. There would be a lot of sick people at first but we would build up immunity to most organisms in water and be fine eventually.

·
infowars.com
421 Posts
it depends on you

:thumb:
Myth: It is ok to drink water striaght from a running river and stream without purification or boiling.
i dont think you should if havent been doing it for your whole life i personally have been doing it since i was a kid just make sure nothing dead is around of course

but my friends who never really go out doors try to do it and 80% of them usally get mild case of hershey squirts but at the same time i can drink milk straight from a cow and most people cant i feel its on your body :thumb:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
My grandpa told a story about doing that once in the Phillippens and when they got up stream they found a bunch of dead Japanese soldiers in the water. So sometimes its not a good idea.

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
I wouldn't.
With the old farms run off, bacteria from native flora, fauna and waste products and what ever else drains into the upstream water source be that man made or natural.
ERR on the side of caution and use some sort of purification.
Prevention is better than cure.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
I used to forage with a PhD who grew up in Algeria during WWII... the man could eat anything and not get sick... it was rather amazing but his system was used to about every bug there was.... I saw him eat raw freshwater clams, lubber grasshoppers (the ones that hiss and are three inches long.) He'd just pull of the head and chomp it down.

·
Accuracy is Final
491 Posts
Speaking from experience...I have only got sick once from a river in southern Missouri and when I say got "sick" lets just say "I could not get my pants down fast enough sick". Error on the side of caution and purify, I know I will.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I once heard that if the river is flowing than it is ok to drink from, while stagnat water must be purified or filtered.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Flowing or not has nothing to do with it. It depends on what is up stream. High mountain streams that have little chance of beaver dams or heavy animal fecal mater are safe, anything down stream of any human or large animal activity is not.

·
17 Oaks Ranch Tx
3,890 Posts
I will echo those on here that say yes. Growing up outside the city limits we drank from a well. Hunting trips and camping etc we carried a lot of stuff but never water.

We drank from streams, rivers, lakes and ponds. Left out of there and ended up in Vietnam where fresh water was rare. I drank from rivers, rice paddies etc. never bothered me but sure as hell make a lot of folks wish there were dead for a while but you pull out of it.

Just depends in what you are used to.

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Flowing or not has nothing to do with it. It depends on what is up stream. High mountain streams that have little chance of beaver dams or heavy animal fecal mater are safe, anything down stream of any human or large animal activity is not.
Too true. Not to mention other forms of pollution. One of my favourite BOLs is near some old Antimony mines in the hills. I would not drink from there without purification under any circumstances. So you should also try to get to know the areas where you might need to use the gound water.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Drank run-off from the Athabasca Glacier in Alberta - no ill effect.

I was on a wilderness canoe trip one summer in Quetico Prov. Park (western Ont.) where our filter broke on day 2 of a 9 day trip. We didn't have enough fuel to boil all the water we would drink and we couldn't build a fire (fire danger was high - there were fire bans). We would go out into the middle of the lake, jam a pot or whatever we were using as far under water as we could reach and collect water that way. Neither one of us had ill effects. This was purely an emergency situation and will not become a habit.

So can it be done? - Yes. However you need to be pretty confident in the purity of the water. Would I walk up to any stream/river in the lower 48 states and take a swig? NO WAY!!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
With all the filters available today why take a chance ? Not only are there filters for every need, size and job ,but they are very affordable.

Kadadyn even has one that will go in the shirt pocket.

·
Registered
784 Posts
boil it pour it through charcoal, use a purifyer, tablets, but dont drink it right out of the stream, less u want to be really really sick

1 - 20 of 38 Posts