Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what this is? ...And what it shoots? I found it the dumpster behind my work.
There are no factory markings on it.
It appears to load from the muzzle, and has a bolt that is pulled back to cock it.
Any help in identifying this device would be much appreciated.

--Max

·
The end is near.
1,376 Posts
Is that thing a homemade zip gun? What the heck does it shoot, shotgun shells? And what is that little wire sticking out below the barrel and above/in front of the trigger?

·
1,794 Posts
I have seen something roughly similar that was claimed to be a WW1 German liferaft flare pistol but it looks like it has been heavily modified with new grips, etc. The fact that somebody disposed of it in a dumpster makes it's intent questionable.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,947 Posts
My first guess was some type of line throwing naval pistol, but my search was nothing close to that model.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Awesome man... why were you in the dumpster? Kidding, so... any idea guys? I think its a flare gun, at least originally. Maybe its a zip gun converted?

·
under prepared patriot
333 Posts
looks like it might blow up in your face if you tried to use it. still looks kinda cool

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
My first guess was some type of line throwing naval pistol, but my search was nothing close to that model.
Looks like a line thrower to me. They shot a very thin and strong cord and weight with the starter rope tied to that and then the real rope tied to the starter rope. Explains the spool attachment.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
I think it would make a great zip gun. The original paint has even held up. Whoops, I mean its probably a collectors item at the very least. keep it.

·
1,794 Posts
Brew's conclusion seems to make the most sense, unless the thingy under the barrel is a bayonet for use against mosquitos.

·
Registered
871 Posts
looks like it's a russian flare pistol you put the flare in the barrel and the striker set off the primer i belive it's 25mm flares.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'm going with line thrower too. Have never seen a muzzle loader flare gun. Since it doesn't appear to break down like others I've seen I can see no other way to load it.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I would definitely say its commercially made,not some dubious homemade zip gun. No point in turning it in,its not a gun.Looks very well built,solid.What are the numbers on it? Looks like scratched on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
good info

Hey, thanks for all the input! A line thrower sounds about right. That would explain the spool wire thing below the barrel.

The markings look to be a set of letters and numbers. It's really rough, and can't read half of it.
The thing has a nice grip and a good heft to it. I don't want to shoot anything out of it, but I will keep it. It's wierd and cool!

Thanks for all the replies,
--Max

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Put it in a frame and sell it on Ebay as a rare collectors item. Tell them its a rope thrower for some sunken German sub. Then when you make 13 million, donate 10 grand to Kev, to keep this community going. ;-)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts