Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all new to the site have been reading and seaching some. Havent read up alot on mylar, but is it better that vacuum sealing? Like I said im just starting out and trying to learn so dont be too hard on me. :D: Main reason for asking is, that I have already have a sealer. Thanks in advance.

·
Bad Moon Rising
8,897 Posts
Guys on the forum who know more about it than I do maintain that, o-v-e-r t-i-m-e, the polymer bags used for vacuum sealing will eventually allow oxygen through the polymer.

Mylar does not - it is the choice of manufacturers who package everything from juice drinks to Mountain House freeze-dried foods in mylar envelopes.

For truly long-term storage you're likely better off buying the mylar bags. They are not terribly expensive, and are easily found on sites like Amazon.com

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
Hi all new to the site have been reading and seaching some. Havent read up alot on mylar, but is it better that vacuum sealing? Like I said im just starting out and trying to learn so dont be too hard on me. :D: Main reason for asking is, that I have already have a sealer. Thanks in advance.
Be sure and read some of the stickies at the top of the page. All kinds of info. I use mylar and o2 absorbers for all my long term storage foods. opinions vary, but I don't have a vacuum sealer.

And welcome to the forum!

·
Not what I appear to be
2,174 Posts
I use Mylar for long term, and vacuum sealer for short term (2 years or less).
The best place I have found for Mylar bags is http://www.discountmylarbags.com/ , they are a member of the SurvivalistBoards site and offer a discount for all suscribers here. Use the discount code Sboards10 to get 10% off, and any order over $50 shipping is free.
I have no afiliation with Discount Mylar bags, I am just a very satisfied customer.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,497 Posts
Unless you have the thicker mylar bags, rated for vacuum sealing, it isn't recommended. It stresses the mylar and can cause breaks in the metallic layer and leaks. And the regular vacuum sealer bags let air in after a couple years.

Vacuum sealing doesn't remove as much O2 as O2 absorbers anyway. So for long term storage, the O2 absorbers are the better choice. Vacuum sealing is good for shorter term storage. I use that method to preserve home dried garden produce for use within a few years. But I use O2 absorbers if I'm putting it away for long term.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I use my Vacuum Sealer for my super pantry. Either in the Bags or Jars. My long term storage is all mylar. What I do is purchase super pails through a survival store for the long term storage. Unless I find a source for the pails for free or actually grow my own food to put in them the price point isn't that much different.

·
Reloading....
201 Posts
I'm going to ask this question, knowing it will show my n00b-ness:

Do you put your mylar-sealed bags inside a 5gal bucket (with a lid)?

Or am I missing the "you store these kinds of things in 55gal barrels, these in 5 gal buckets, these in mylar bags, and these in rubbermaid tubs".

Edit:
I found this video which explains why you put the food in a mylar bag, then inside the bucket.

So that answers my first question. But I have a niggling feeling that my 2nd question still applies...

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,497 Posts
Do you put your mylar-sealed bags inside a 5gal bucket (with a lid)?
I do, but technically, you don't have to. The bucket protects the mylar and offers another layer of protection against air and moisture. But anything that protects the mylar is fine too. Some folks use totes, boxes and such.

But since food grade buckets are so easy to get cheap or free, and come in handy for so many other uses, it just makes sense to use them if you can.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Most of the folks usually cover things long before I can, and better, and this thread is no exception!=) Who knew owning a small business would keep me busier than working for the man! However, if you are looking for bags and absorbers, I hope you will give us a try. We are the supplier mentioned a little earlier. We do our best to serve the folks here as well as we can. We ship same day, own up to our mistakes (which we hope happen rarely!), and do our best to offer some of the best pricing on the Internet.

Best of luck with your food storage! It, and water, are two of the pillars of a good preparedness plan.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts