Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mylar film has some excellent survival attributes, among them:
1. Reflects existing light in a room to increase the total light from the source.
2. Helps indoor plant seedlings get more light by reflecting the grow lights or low sunlight.
3. Line solar ovens for faster cooking.
4. Increases outdoor plant growth in low light situations or when temperatures are low.
5. Can scare birds away from your seedlings or berries when they see their own reflections.
6. Could increase effectiveness of a solar dehydrator.

The mylar sheets look like a mirror and reflect back 98% of the available light. They can be fastened to a wall so one lantern or candle can seem much brighter.
For less than $30 with shipping you can order 25 feet of it online in most places.
The 2 mil mylar sheets are more sturdy than tin foil and reflect more light.
It is easily cut with a scissors.

Here is a picture of it: (The price is not the lowest you can find):
http://www.hydroponics.net/c/54

What do you think? Has anyone tried it? Are there other purposes it could serve? Would like your input before I order a roll.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Lanahi,
Those are some really good ideas. I have a lot of the 5 gallon bucket size bags, but I bet you could cut them open and do the same thing. I have this Mockingbird that has been eyeing my blueberry bushes real close too ... they are just getting ready to start turning purple, and I was wondering what to do about that little rascal. That just might work. Thanks again.
Lol, I love mockingbirds, but I love blueberries more! Let us know if that works. If not, maybe you will have to put a net over the bushes.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought a roll of narrow mylar to scare birds away from my garden last year. It was silver on one side and red on the other. Bright flashy stuff and it worked very well.

Another source of larger mylar is space blankets. Sometimes you can find them very cheap at dollar stores.
Did you put up the red or silver side, or doesn't it matter?

I'd forgotten about the space blankets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.