Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mylar film has some excellent survival attributes, among them:
1. Reflects existing light in a room to increase the total light from the source.
2. Helps indoor plant seedlings get more light by reflecting the grow lights or low sunlight.
3. Line solar ovens for faster cooking.
4. Increases outdoor plant growth in low light situations or when temperatures are low.
5. Can scare birds away from your seedlings or berries when they see their own reflections.
6. Could increase effectiveness of a solar dehydrator.

The mylar sheets look like a mirror and reflect back 98% of the available light. They can be fastened to a wall so one lantern or candle can seem much brighter.
For less than $30 with shipping you can order 25 feet of it online in most places.
The 2 mil mylar sheets are more sturdy than tin foil and reflect more light.
It is easily cut with a scissors.

Here is a picture of it: (The price is not the lowest you can find):
http://www.hydroponics.net/c/54

What do you think? Has anyone tried it? Are there other purposes it could serve? Would like your input before I order a roll.

·
Board Supporter
2,049 Posts
Hey Lanahi,
Those are some really good ideas. I have a lot of the 5 gallon bucket size bags, but I bet you could cut them open and do the same thing. I have this Mockingbird that has been eyeing my blueberry bushes real close too ... they are just getting ready to start turning purple, and I was wondering what to do about that little rascal. That just might work. Thanks again.

Reactions: lanahi

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Lanahi,
Those are some really good ideas. I have a lot of the 5 gallon bucket size bags, but I bet you could cut them open and do the same thing. I have this Mockingbird that has been eyeing my blueberry bushes real close too ... they are just getting ready to start turning purple, and I was wondering what to do about that little rascal. That just might work. Thanks again.
Lol, I love mockingbirds, but I love blueberries more! Let us know if that works. If not, maybe you will have to put a net over the bushes.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Hey Lanahi,
Mine are just starting to turn as well. I have 4 varieties staggered in 5 rows about 6 acres long each for pollination purposes. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
68,767 Posts
I bought a roll of narrow mylar to scare birds away from my garden last year. It was silver on one side and red on the other. Bright flashy stuff and it worked very well.

Another source of larger mylar is space blankets. Sometimes you can find them very cheap at dollar stores.

·
Trust but verify
660 Posts
Here are some additional ideals and interesting historical note:

Don't Throw Them Away!

Compared to latex helium balloons, Mylar balloons last for weeks on end, but they finally lose their lift and slowly sink to the floor like all other helium-filled balloons. A Mylar balloon is far too good to throw

away, and if it can't be refilled because of a hole, it can still be used in a number of other creative ways. The graphics are colorful, and some are used to send a special message in honor of a specific occasion.

Can you imagine how many Mylar balloons are in landfills right now? Try these creative ways to reuse a Mylar balloon instead of stuffing it into the trash. Next time you have a Mylar balloon that has sunk to an all-time low, give the balloon new life, and consider these creative ways to recycle and reuse. You'll save money, and you'll do your part to help the environment when you reuse something that would otherwise end up in a landfill.

Framed Photo Backing

Instead of using a matte to embellish a framed photo, consider mounting the photo on a colorful section of Mylar balloon. Wrap a piece of cardstock of appropriate size with a piece of Mylar balloon, and affix to the cardstock it with spray adhesive or double-sided tape. Carefully attach the picture to the colorful eye-catching backing with double-side tape, and frame the photo. The silver Mylar and the colorful graphics will make a very unique framed photo unlike anything you'll find in the store.

Packing Material

When sending a birthday gift, get well gift, or any other gift by mail, search your stash of old Mylar balloons, and use one or more for packing material. A scrunched up Mylar balloon will help keep items from breaking and shifting in transit, and it's a much better choice than using expensive bubble wrap or newspapers that make black ink stains and dirty looking marks. Best of all, this creative packing material can be used and reused again for the same purpose.
Source: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/665695/creative_ways_to_reuse_a_mylar_balloon.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mylar® polyester film
Since Mylar® polyester film was invented in the early 1950s, it has been used in a variety of applications that add value to products in virtually all segments of the world. After nearly 50 years, the future still holds great promise for Mylar®. Its excellent balance of properties and extraordinary range of performance capabilities make Mylar® ideal for a broad array of applications in the electrical, electronics, magnetic media, industrial specialty, imaging and graphics, and packaging markets.
Mylar® polyester film, only by DuPont Teijin Films, is available uncoated or coated in a broad variety of thickness and width.

Source: http://www2.dupont.com/Automotive/en_US/products_services/teijinFilms/mylar.html

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought a roll of narrow mylar to scare birds away from my garden last year. It was silver on one side and red on the other. Bright flashy stuff and it worked very well.

Another source of larger mylar is space blankets. Sometimes you can find them very cheap at dollar stores.
Did you put up the red or silver side, or doesn't it matter?

I'd forgotten about the space blankets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.