Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Soon
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be buying a lot of LTS within the next week or two. I need help in knowing what I need. Most I am getting for the LDS cannery, plus corn at a local feed store and yes it is for human consumption. Here is basically what I am buying:

200 lbs pinto beans
200 lbs wheat
100 lbs non-fat dry milk
100 lbs rice
100 lbs sugar
25 lbs apple slices
25 lbs carrot slices
40 lbs macaroni
50 lbs oats
50 lbs quick oats
35 lbs onions, dried
25 lbs potato flakes
50 lbs spaghetti noodles
50 lbs white flour (yes, not LTS)

LDS cannery only sells 1 gal Mylar and 300 cc OA's. If I need bigger I will have to order online.

Now, why I need help. I know that there are many posts out there and I am sorry for adding another, but I am seriously math challenged :eek:: After trying to figure out what I needed for 3 hours, I ended up close to throwing my hands in the air and sayig "Why the heck bother!!!" took a break and came to YOU ALL. Help this math challenged idiot figure out how many bags I need.
How much will fit in a 1 gal bag, 5 gal bag, yup even how many buckets I will need to store them in.

Sheesh, makes one wonder how in the world I can survive a shtf when something this simple has me so frustrated!!!!

Thanks for any and all help, a vertically challenged (yup, only 5 foot), math dum dum!!!!:D:

·
Registered
2,474 Posts

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
I will be buying a lot of LTS within the next week or two. I need help in knowing what I need. Most I am getting for the LDS cannery, plus corn at a local feed store and yes it is for human consumption. Here is basically what I am buying:

200 lbs pinto beans
200 lbs wheat
100 lbs non-fat dry milk
100 lbs rice
100 lbs sugar
25 lbs apple slices
25 lbs carrot slices
40 lbs macaroni
50 lbs oats
50 lbs quick oats
35 lbs onions, dried
25 lbs potato flakes
50 lbs spaghetti noodles
50 lbs white flour (yes, not LTS)

LDS cannery only sells 1 gal Mylar and 300 cc OA's. If I need bigger I will have to order online.

Now, why I need help. I know that there are many posts out there and I am sorry for adding another, but I am seriously math challenged :eek:: After trying to figure out what I needed for 3 hours, I ended up close to throwing my hands in the air and sayig "Why the heck bother!!!" took a break and came to YOU ALL. Help this math challenged idiot figure out how many bags I need.
How much will fit in a 1 gal bag, 5 gal bag, yup even how many buckets I will need to store them in.

Sheesh, makes one wonder how in the world I can survive a shtf when something this simple has me so frustrated!!!!

Thanks for any and all help, a vertically challenged (yup, only 5 foot), math dum dum!!!!:D:
Don't freak, it's easy.

Just use the LDS form as a guide to how much to pack in each gallon mylar:

http://www.providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,7977-1-4352-1,00.html

Gotta say that's a lot of food to put up. Hope it doesn't burn you out.

·
Soon
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figure I don't have to do it all in one week so that will help, heee heeeeee

Then again, if what I am seeing from Eagle Scout's post, I might be doing 128 bags!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
just to add to your harried composure .... you have 10 minutes of open air time on 02 absorbers .... thats 10 minutes from the time the absorber factory package is exposed, to when you heat seal the packed mylar bag closed ......,

·
Soon
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just to add to your harried composure .... you have 10 minutes of open air time on 02 absorbers .... thats 10 minutes from the time the absorber factory package is exposed, to when you heat seal the packed mylar bag closed ......,
You are a cruel cruel man!!! :D:

Actually I planned to put the OA's in a small jelly mason jar, so that they wouldn't be sitting out. Will do one, see how it goes, check timing and then work up to 5 at a time. If I get good enough, 10 at a time. I plan to do it assembly line style and with any kind of luck, I will get my half asleep friend to help:D:

After I have all that done, then I get the pleasure of taking all the rice and beans that I put in 2 liter bottles and put that also in mylar. I was told this method would keep the food in the bottles fresh for up to 5 years. Now learning that the plastic in the bottles won't help the rice or beans last any longer than just leaving in original packaging, just more bug proof!:upsidedown:

·
Soon
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sure wish I could pull one of you experts into my home for a few hours to help me with the numbers and to make sure I am doing it right.

To think my aunt (lds) use to store her grains in heavy duty cardboard barrells/drums and called it good. That was back in the early 70's. The finished that grain off in the 00's but I know for a fact the flour made from that wheat tasted fresher than any flour I bought at the store.

·
Soon
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh I totally missed what you, MP, were saying about go by the sheet from LDS. The middle column, for the amount they have in the pouches! Duh. TY for that, it just took me a few to see it. I have been using that form for a while to make plans on what I want to get and never put two and two together. That's what I get for over thinking it and not seeing it in plain sight!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Good grief that's a lot of food!

Especially if you're planning on storing it in a room with conventional flooring?
My math is not too great this time of nite, but I count 1,050 lbs total? Can see it weakening a floor if you stored all in one spot, so please be careful and good luck! I admire your get-to-it-iveness lol

·
Soon
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually it will be in a basement so flooring won't be an issue! I didn't think about the poundage on a floor. There are 4 people I am prepping for, and who knows what friends. Just don't want to be in a position of turning a friend away if I can help it. I didn't really think it was that much, as the LDS site says for a family of 4 you need 1,200 lbs of grain.

·
Soon
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's what the sheet says, but it also says you can put 5 lbs of spaghetti in a gallon mylar too. I just packed 200 lbs of straight pasta and only got 4 lbs per bag.

YMMV
Did you break the spaghetti in half so it wouldn't pop holes in the bags?

·
Soon
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
'till they are cold. The cold stops the chemical reaction.

I always break the 100's up from LDS into 20 or so and vacuum pack those. 20 gallons is about all I want to deal with at one time.
Can I just put the unused ones in a jelly canning jar? I don't have a vacuum packing system. If I store them in the freezer, then just take out what I need, will this work?

BTW, thank you for the help!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts