Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all.

I was wondering if anyone knows what type of local store would carry mylar bags instead of having to buy them online. None at walmart or home depot

Any ideas?

P.S. this is my 3rd post (my second never materialized) - asking the same question.

Please and thank you

·
Registered
33,572 Posts
I wish, but I found none. When I buy on-line I get them 2-3 days.

How I could open a SHTF Store.........LOL!!

·
2,981 Posts
Just a thought about a potential local source - check out your local Starbucks.

I was in there one day when I noticed them loading the coffee beans into the grinder. They poured them out of a pretty good sized mylar bag. I asked what the did with the empty bags and they said they just throw them away.

If you're a regular customer (or just persuasive) you might be able to get them to save them for you.

I thought that might be a good source for some free bags as long as there are no problems with re-using them.

I already have a supply of bags so I haven't looked into it further - yet.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Why the resistance to buying them on-line, you obviously already have access to a computer, and that's half the battle;).
The Starbucks route will be a pain in the arse, and may net you a few bags that are likely much thinner than the bags designed for long term food storage, plus they may have been stressed in places that could cause leaks later on.
I started with thinner,cheaper bags, and had a big problem with them un-sealing over time, which meant I wasted those O2 absorbers, and had buy more and do the job again.
Better to just do it right the first time, check out these guys......
https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/emergency_supplies/food_storage_equipment.htm

·
Not what I appear to be
2,174 Posts
I just ordered mylar bags and desiccent yesterday from Sorbent Systems http://www.sorbentsystems.com/mylar.html , I checked several other sites, and they seemed to have the best prices. I bought the 20"x30" , for packing into 5 gal. buckets with Gamma Seal lids. I did buy the Gamma Seals from USA Emergency Supply, they had the best price on those.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,431 Posts
I just ordered mylar bags and desiccent yesterday from Sorbent Systems http://www.sorbentsystems.com/mylar.html , I checked several other sites, and they seemed to have the best prices. I bought the 20"x30" , for packing into 5 gal. buckets with Gamma Seal lids. I did buy the Gamma Seals from USA Emergency Supply, they had the best price on those.
USA Emergency Supply is awesome. I had a bad batch of oxygen absorbers. I called them up and no quibble at all. Shipped out replacements, I got them within 3 days with a pre-paid UPS label. I reboxed the bad ones and my UPS guy waited while I slapped the label on. Badda Bing painless. :):thumb::D:

·
Not what I appear to be
2,174 Posts
OOps, I made an error on my last post. I bought the Gamma Seals from BayTec. I bought O2 absorbers from USA Emergency Supply. I have been ordering quite a bit of stuff lately, and had my suppliers confused. I am waiting on the mylar bags, should be in any day now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mil-Dot - I have purchased them online - Not averse to doing this, but they take a week to arrive. I guess I'm an instant gratification type of person. I know that's a bad habit, but it is what it is.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Mil-Dot - I have purchased them online - Not averse to doing this, but they take a week to arrive. I guess I'm an instant gratification type of person. I know that's a bad habit, but it is what it is.

Hey, I understand, I'd prefer to buy them on-the-spot,myself.:thumb:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Just a thought about a potential local source - check out your local Starbucks.

I was in there one day when I noticed them loading the coffee beans into the grinder. They poured them out of a pretty good sized mylar bag. I asked what the did with the empty bags and they said they just throw them away.

If you're a regular customer (or just persuasive) you might be able to get them to save them for you.

I thought that might be a good source for some free bags as long as there are no problems with re-using them.

I already have a supply of bags so I haven't looked into it further - yet.
Starbucks will give those away. Infact they give the coffie grounds away for free. I use them to fertilie my garden and lawn. Works great. Fairly acid so you have to have other stuff to balance it. Anyway... The trouble with using those bags for storing say Rice or the like is that Coffee is super oily and leaves a residue that will be very difficult to remove. It may even make the bag tough to seal after filling.

Based on what I've read here on this subject new Mylar bags are a very good idea.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.