Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For your 5 gallon food storage buckets, do you use a 5 gallon mylar bag or 5 (1) gallon bags? This may be a silly question, but I was wondering if there were any disadvantages to using the 5 bag method, other than having to use 5 oxygen absorbers/hot hands.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
I actually pack buckets three ways ..... 5/6 gallon bag ...... (5) 1 gallons ...... mix of (3)1 gallon and (6)1/2 gallons ...... with the latter you can pack a bean/pea variety in the smaller bags and something like rice in the 1 gallon bags .......

When you pack with individual bags there is alot of excess air void in the bucket .... throw in 1000CC 02 absorbers before you hammer down the lid .......

·
566 Posts
...personal preference. I'd rather pack in smaller bags & lose some space in the bucket, because I don't want to take a chance that 5 gallons of anything would go to ruin before it's used up. And it's easier to customize the buckets should you want to make up a few to take to a local church for charity.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
For bulk grains and beans, I store them in the 5/6 gal. bags. I pretty much figure that if I need to get into these I will be in extreme circumstances and will be eaten on a daily basis.

For other foods I'm going with smaller bags.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
I us the 5 gallon Mylar for my regular stuff like rice and bean. I started using Mylar bags that are 12x14 to make mix buckets of food.I can lay these flat in the bucket and get 5 different items in there.

I started making different type breakfast and dinner buckets. I put instant potatoes,powder milk, powder eggs, pancake mix,tang drink mix, powder cheese, can butter, sugar, instant coffee, bacon bits, salt, pepper, jelly packs, plastic forks and knives with paper plates and cups.

A dinner bucket might be very large bag of pasta with 6 cans of tuna and 3 cans of chicken. I would supply forks and plastic knives with paper plates. I would throw in some matches, candy, salt, pepper, sugar, powder cheese,3 cans mushroom soup. instant coffee, tea, powder milk.

These buckets might be needed to feed 5 to 6 people.

·
With eyes and mind open.
222 Posts
I pack in 1 gallon bags (#10 can sized). But I don't store them in 5 gal buckets. I store them in regular storage bins. It makes it easier to rotate. Also, I can quickly put together a bin with different stuff if I have to leave. And if it comes to it, I can give smaller packages away.

It also makes it easier to build a stock. I can buy in smaller quantities and package right away. Picking up a 20 pound bag of rice can quickly be packaged and not have to wait untill I have enough for a 5 gal bucket. This works good for sugar and salt.

package2.JPG

bin1.JPG

bin2.jpg

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,539 Posts
There's no real drawback to using 5 1 gallon bags, other than you won't be able to get quite as much food in the bucket as you would with 1 5 gallon bag. It can be handy to package some foods in smaller packages. But spend some time considering which foods first.

For example, many foods such as rice, beans, etc., are fine for a year or more after opening. If your family is eating out of the buckets, you'll be using it up in plenty of time. Other foods such as maybe peanut butter powder or tomato powder, are generally things you will use at a slower rate. Being powdered and tending to absorb moisture from the air, they benefit from smaller packages, as do herbs and spices, etc.

So for your bulk staple foods, they might be better off in 5 gallon bags, while others work better in smaller bags.

Some people are making "self contained" buckets with smaller packages of things they will use together. Such as foods plus spices, or perhaps breakfast, lunch and dinner items all packaged together. I can see having a few of those made up for grabbing in an emergency where you may have to take off with only what you can carry.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I buy the 5 gal bags and use as required..

For instance 10 pounds of beans.. then double seal.. cut between the double seal (if YOU are ME that's quadruple seal), creating a second bag, fill second "bag" as desired then double seal..

...lather, rinse and repeat.. ;)

(Or don't cut them apart and have a string of "proper sized" bags.)

...you wind up with bags better sized for contents and less air space in each..

I have one such string that has several pounds of rice, a few pounds of beans, a couple cups of oil, and salt.. all in their separate but together bags.. as it were..

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts
I prefer pre-made, 1-gallon mylar bags in bulk. It just gives me more versatility. I like the way kaos packs his stuff; I might have to switch to that method as the stockpile grows.

Small bags: keeps food in smaller units that can be mixed/traded/rotated; spoilage is less likely to spread if something happens to one bag; the trade-off is that you get a little more "dead space" when packing them with other items

Big bags: Suitable as a liner for a bucket if you want to fill the whole bucket. Can be cut up into smaller bags, though sealing them becomes more of a chore and you have a higher risk of leaks etc. by sealing all ends yourself.

·
silenced
3,002 Posts
i am doing 1 gallon bags. more variety in a tub.
i am also storing in tubs. im using 20 gallon airtight isis tubs. they are alittle pricey, but im talking about food security. the tubs are small enough i can pick up full, and in an extreme have to bug out now. i can move the tubs faster than buckets. 1 tub is equal to 4 buckets. they also look like normal house cluttered storage. buckets when stored is not normal looking

·
Registered
86 Posts
Doing research and found this. One thing that wasn't mentioned is that using multiple smaller bags allows for safer long term food storage because of redundancy.

If using five 1 gallon bags.

If one of the bags got punctured, you would still have 4 other bags still sealed.

If you use one larger bag and it got punctured, you would lose everything.

Just something to consider.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would think the advantage to using five 1-gallon bags is so you can more easily diversify your food storage. In other words, each five gallon bucket can contain 1-gallon bags of five different foods. One bucket has rice, beans, flour, powdered milk, etc. When you are packing up to bug out and run out of space in your vehicle and have to leave 10 buckets behind or if something contaminates half of your buckets in the basement (flood water for example), you will still have a variety of food in each bucket so you can make complete meals.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
17,223 Posts
I'd say it depends on the size of your clan.

My neighbor has 6 children, in addition to a large extended family. He would only need a 1 gallon to store spices.

However, at my house there's only 2 of us, and my husband has pretty low calorie needs to due disability. 1 gallons make a lot more sense to us.

I did however use 5 gallon bags for rice when I found some on sale at the store, and put it in a large storage tote (100# of rice in 3, 5 gallon bags). I would do that exclusively if I had a large clan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
...personal preference. I'd rather pack in smaller bags & lose some space in the bucket, because I don't want to take a chance that 5 gallons of anything would go to ruin before it's used up. And it's easier to customize the buckets should you want to make up a few to take to a local church for charity.
I agree with this! You are also given more versatility if you use the smaller 1lb bags...like if you need to travel somewhere short term after SHTF.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts