oats
popcorn
potato slices, shredded and flakes
pinto's
black beans
split peas
lintels
spices
dehydrated fruits and veggies of all kinds.....

Thats just off the top of my head. I have much more than that. You can mylar up just about anything that doesn't require moisture.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
wheat
wht sugar
brn sugar
oats
popcorn
potato slices, shredded and flakes
pinto's
black beans
split peas
lintels
spices
dehydrated fruits and veggies of all kinds.....

Thats just off the top of my head. I have much more than that. You can mylar up just about anything that doesn't require moisture.
I'm trying to find out about powdered milk. Can it be stored in mylar too, or would it go rancid? The powdered milk we bought is non fat. Does this make a difference?

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,755 Posts
With as many threads on food storage as this site has running at any given moment, you'll get more info browsing them than you will in this thread.

I put almost anything dehydrated in mylar with O2 absorbers. Beans, grains, pasta, powdered potatoes, powdered milk and such are the basics of my food storage. But I have a bunch of other stuff stored in mylar too such as dried veggies, fruits, spices, etc.

·
Not what I appear to be
2,174 Posts
Wheat - soft white, hard white, & hard red, Barley, Oat groats, Quick oats, Spelt, Rye, Triticale, Buckwheat, Yellow corn, White rice - long & short grain, Black beans, White beans, Kidney beans, Lentils, & Split peas.

Just over two tons in total.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=184981

Items I stored in my last mylar bag project:

2 – great value whole grain old fashioned oats, 42 ounce containers
4 – great value whole grain quick oats, 42 ounce containers
3 – great value elbows enriched macaroni product, 3 pound boxs
1 – hungry jack mashed potatoes, 26.7 ounce box
2 – great value mashed potatoes, 2 pound box
1 – 20 pound bag of rice
several – 1 pound bags of pinto beans

·
The Right of the People..
797 Posts
All of the above. Also planning to experiment with storing non food items in the BOB like matches and socks. Just to keep them dry until needed.

·
The man with the plan
39 Posts
I'm trying to find out about powdered milk. Can it be stored in mylar too, or would it go rancid? The powdered milk we bought is non fat. Does this make a difference?
Powdered milk will store for 1 year in manufacturers packaging...however the biggest "killer" of powdered milk is light & temperature. By sealing it in mylar bags you are preserving it 2-3 fold (and keep between 55-70 deg). The fat content does make a difference- dried whole milk will not store as well as the non-fat dry milk because of the fat content, so what you have is good.

The dried milk has alot of air volume so you'll want to use a few extra oxygen absorbers in your mylar bags than with your rice or beans. But plan on rotating it or donating it every two years because it just won't keep very long. I personally would buy the #10 cans of it, which are hermetically sealed & guaranteed to 5 years (Honeyville Farms).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.