Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Dog bites - Owner shoots
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies for invading the gals hang-out. I am new to activly researching survivalism. I have had it on my mind for a while but just began looking into it. After alot of reading here and in other places, last night I decided to start making some small preparations. I took an empty kitty litter plastic container and put a Buck knife, 250' if 550 cord, 2 cans of tuna and 4 ramen noodles, 2 books of matches and a lighter, a bible, the Army issued survival manual, and aglass jar filled with cotton balls soaked in fingernail polish remover. My wife asked me "what the hell are you doing" and i replied ... "if something goes wrong I want to be prepared" ... needless to say she called me crazy, an extremist ... we got into a fight over the tribulation and end times, world politics ..... wasnt real bad but ...

I guess my question to you is this. How can i relay to her that I want to be prepared to keep my family safe. She says that if the shtf i will be deployed anyway (nat guard for 4 more years) and she will be stuck to fend for herself. She almost makes my position for me... but she looks upon my actions as crazy. Any advice?:confused:

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
Mels:
Personally I think you should approach it not from the world is gonna end point of view but instead take the economic collapse and bad weather route. These are two things that have happened so are very real.
Explain that you know for the next few years that if anything happened you would have to go but you want to go knowing that she is set up with all she needs. And also tell her that stocking up on food (start with cans etc, less scary than mylar bags and mre lol) will save lots of money in the long run. Prices are going up almost daily and buying in cases is a lot cheaper. Help by building shelves or making space so storing the food is an easy task and doesnt make more work for her.
Ease her into it...and don't stop, just do it on your own. She will get involved at one point.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Join the National Rifle Association. They have good pointers for cooperating with nature. If it's REALLY SHTF, we may all go. But that's the way you must see things. With the help of the Almighty that will never happen but isn't it nice to be able to live well with nature? Tell that to your wife and God bless.

·
Registered
843 Posts
My husband doesn't really understand my need to stock up on things and try to be prepared. He asked me why, and I explained things are in turmoil and I would feel better by stocking up and having a plan in place in case something were to happen. I also explained the rising costs of groceries by giving specific examples of the price rise for items he likes to eat. I said groceries will never be less expensive, so we are actually saving money by stocking up on sales now, etc.

Hubby said as long as I don't go David Koresh on him, he is fine with it if it makes me feel better. So now when he asks what I bought certian things for, I rub my hands together and in a scary voice say 'It is part of my Koresh plan.' He laughs and never asks about that item purchase again, lol.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Hubby said as long as I don't go David Koresh on him, he is fine with it if it makes me feel better. So now when he asks what I bought certian things for, I rub my hands together and in a scary voice say 'It is part of my Koresh plan.' He laughs and never asks about that item purchase again, lol.
tell him "as long as Janet Reno does'nt go Ruby Ridge on me"

·
Registered
35 Posts
well i think my wife is leaving me coase she thinks I/m crazy and she is scared i think she is blinding herself from what could happen and if it doesn't i have lots of good camping gear still no luck she plans on leaving tomorrow

joy to me 2nd time both time when things got bad after 9/11 and now :xeye:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Join the National Rifle Association. They have good pointers for cooperating with nature. If it's REALLY SHTF, we may all go. But that's the way you must see things. With the help of the Almighty that will never happen but isn't it nice to be able to live well with nature? Tell that to your wife and God bless.
Don't waste your money with the NRA, they have sold every damn gunowner down the river many times. If you're going to going any group, make it the Gun Owners of America. I am a member of nether, but even I can see that the NRA gives in to Congress and gun control laws everytime. At least the GOA doesn't compromise when it comes to the 2nd Amendment.

·
bad grammar deal with it
452 Posts
Mels:
Personally I think you should approach it not from the world is gonna end point of view but instead take the economic collapse and bad weather route. These are two things that have happened so are very real.
Explain that you know for the next few years that if anything happened you would have to go but you want to go knowing that she is set up with all she needs. And also tell her that stocking up on food (start with cans etc, less scary than mylar bags and mre lol) will save lots of money in the long run. Prices are going up almost daily and buying in cases is a lot cheaper. Help by building shelves or making space so storing the food is an easy task and doesnt make more work for her.
Ease her into it...and don't stop, just do it on your own. She will get involved at one point.
i agree it took hurricane ike to open my wifes eyes and i think shes very much on the verge of coming to the light side of prepping because i talked to her about wanting to invest in the stock market and she seemed a little hesitant about me doing so but gave the go ahead.

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
well i think my wife is leaving me coase she thinks I/m crazy and she is scared i think she is blinding herself from what could happen and if it doesn't i have lots of good camping gear still no luck she plans on leaving tomorrow

joy to me 2nd time both time when things got bad after 9/11 and now :xeye:
Sorry to hear that, darlin'. I honestly feel your pain. Hubby and I are on the rocks at this point, too. It's gonna be a real pain when we have to decide who gets which preps and who's going to have to basically start over.

Hang in there.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
I just went down this road...

honestly i just let her be and eventually she did her thinking thing and was ok with it...lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts