Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone this is my first time putting anything out there about my victory/sustainability garden and also my first time using YouTube, so be gentle. Thank you for any comments and suggestions. And if you would like to me do any garden projects let me know in the comments. Rate me too I want to know what you think. Subscribe if you like the vids as there will be more to come.

Edit to put up my newest video

·
Registered
689 Posts
Nice video.

What (if you dont mind)are the dimensions of the raised bed? In your opinion is the depth enough? Also what soil mix did you make/buy?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The raised bed is 4' X 6' and I filled it last season with an organic compost mix from my nursery and this season I have amended it with my own compost. Thank you for your interest. I'm planning on one video a week fOr now.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Great video, thanks for sharing it!

I like your beds; what did you use for the bottom? And how did you address drainage.

Looking forward to your updates too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks nose, I actually put hardware cloth underneath and lined it with shade cloth. It is supported like you would see shelfs in the old days w slats screwed into the sides and braces set across maybe I'll do another vid an show construction.

·
A Round American Woman
539 Posts
Great video! I love seeing what others have going.

My only critique would be spacing. You said you had zucchini in the right hand corner of the raised bed. That's a LOT of plants for that small space. I would think that only one plant would grow, not the handful you have. If I can guess I would say that my full sized zucchini are about 3 to 3 1/2 feet around at their full growth.

I usually put in 10 zucchini one one side of my beds. My beds are 4 feet by 25 feet. So I use 50 square feet for 10 plants. I could go closer, but I'm still working on soil fertility, so I space them out for now. At full growth they are touching and fill in the space quite nicely.

Nice stevia!! I have to keep mine well caged because the chickens will destroy the plant and then dig up and eat the roots!! I brew a leaf with my tea and my favorite is to make a stevia leaf tea and then use that to sweeten lemonade. :)

Your chives will seem fine and small for most of this year, but next spring they will start giving and giving!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks goths advice. I really appreciate all input. Please let me know in the comments if there are any video requests. Thank you.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
The green onions, lettuce and cucumbers are ok to plant together - all of them have a high nitrogen requirement.

Looks like you will run out of room with the squash. Allow at least 2 - 3 feet on each side of the squash plants for growth. With the right soil and fertilizer, those squash plants are going to get pretty big.

Squash needs a well balanced fertilizer, such as 13-13-13.

The raised bed is nice. What I suggest, next year build a raised bed based on fertilizer requirements.

Lettuce, onions and cucumbers go in one bed - all of them can use high nitrogen fertilizer, such as 21-0-0 or something like 16-6-12.

Tomatoes, squash and zucchini would go in the second bed - all of them use a balanced fertilizer, such as a slow release mature and something like 13-13-13.

Just about anything with large leafs is going to need more nitrogen then say tomatoes.

Keep this in mind when you plant your garden, lets take 13-13-13 as an example.

first 13 - nitrogen, promotes stalk and leaf production, such as corn, greens and spinach

second 13 - phosphate, promotes root production, such as potatoes

third 13 - potash, promotes pod production, such as peas, beans, squash.

Cucumbers require nitrogen to prevent them from getting a pointy end.

Looks like your project is off to a good start and keep up the good work.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks kev. I am planning on another be to grow herbs and the nitrogen loving sort. An keep everything else in the big one. I'm going to make one using plywood. Outdoor rated and see how long it will last. I have a good bit lying around and want to experiment. Thank you for the fertilizer definition and suggestions. My squash have done really well that close together.

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
Cucumbers are heavy feeders. They need lots of balanced food to produce fruit. You can add some extra nitrogen when they are in the leafing/blooming stage, but they need a lot of balanced food to produce.

I just grew about a dozen slicers and 16 quarts of pickles in 3 square feet of container.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I feed basically the left side of my raised bed with a high nitrogen fertilizer and the right with a less potent mix. Higher in p and potash.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts