Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, this is a wish list that would augment everything i already have quite nicely. It is not the be-all end-all. But, it includes Food, Water, and Electricity. It would enable me to be much more self sufficient in the long run.
Shelter, and Security are not on the list because I am pretty much covered there. I also already have quite a bit of food. Only thing lacking is diapers, kids clothes & shoes (which w/electricity i could sew new ones out of old ones if necessary)

1. Ducks (you can get chickens or geese if you like, but I want ducks)
Everything I need for ducks to get started + the ducks themselves: $247
from Holderread Farms and MurrayMcMurray hatchery Can sell the eggs or ducks or trade, and can of course eat them and use the feathers to stuff pillows. they eat bugs in the garden

2. AeroGarden Hydroponic indoor garden setup depending on size and accessories: either $204.85 or $484.80 (for 3X the growing capability + mounted on a wall) Aerogarden website requires electricity and water.

3. Solar Generator varying sizes
6,7.2,12 volt $85 (berkey)
sunforce 60 watt $319.99 (costco)
50W panel + 1500 battery/inverter $1200 (alpinesurvival.com)
I would like one of each, however any combination would be nice. a spare batter inverter would also be nice one to charge, one to use, $375

4. Heirloom Seeds (seeds you can harvest & plant over again if you didn't know)
82 varieties $150 @ berkeywaterpurifier.com
seedsaver kit 28.95 @ territorialseed.com Probably don't have to have this, but it would be nice could use baby food jars or ziplocks

5. Berkey Light Water Purifier for home
$209 free water bottle w/it 50,000 of pure water need i say more?

6. UV Water purifier Steripen for portable purification/backup 99.95
betterhealthinnovations.com

I also already have camping, hunting, fishing gear, and some other survival gear. we like to 'hoard' things around here so we don't throw things away, we have too much crap and i am fine with that, just needs organized for goodness sake!

All of this stuff rings in at $ 2824.75 (approx)
I don't have to get it all at once, and probably won't, but I can use our tax return or something to get it all at once if I want to. And some smaller combinations would suffice for now as well, If I get just as much as i can probably talk hubby into (cause everything pretty much goes through him) it will probably be $ 1259.74.

All my prices are approximate and may or may not include shipping or tax (we have no sales tax in Oregon)

most of the websites i could vouch for, but check them out yourselves to be sure... holderread, territorial, aerogarden i have personal knowledge of, they are legitimate businesses but before you give them your cc# be sure. i recently had my debit card number stolen somehow (no clue how either)

Hope this is useful for you guys!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoa! If you want to wait, look on eBay, there are a lot of deals out there if you look (I am sure you know)..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=180298509540

Figure 4 days is OK for a recharge of a steripen, don't need special salts/Chem and 90sec is better than 30min!

Just helping :)
yeah i won't be doing this immediately, but i will be acquiring this stuff soon. i don't know if i have the patience for ebay. but i will check before i buy thanks to you...

4 days what? recharge, don't know enough about it yet to know what that means. i want the steripen journey btw...didn't see it for cheaper on ebay

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sorry for the slow reply. I bought the adventurer used $70 including the case that charges the batteries via solar. Reports are it takes 4 days to recharge the batteries fully. I think that would be OK as the Steripen can do 50L at a charge, 1L at a time though. If that is in addition to boiling your water for food/tea/etc I am sure you can last 4 days.

And of course I have tablets and a emergency straw as backup.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had a buddy who bought all the gear for a hydroponics set up. It was nice and did an excellent job too. One day without warning, the local boys in blue showed up and searched his house. Figured he was growing Illegal smoking foliage. He has no Iea where they got they're info. He bought all his stuff off line.
Me thinks someone is watching. Pretty crazy

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had a buddy who bought all the gear for a hydroponics set up. It was nice and did an excellent job too. One day without warning, the local boys in blue showed up and searched his house. Figured he was growing Illegal smoking foliage. He has no Iea where they got they're info. He bought all his stuff off line.
Me thinks someone is watching. Pretty crazy
The company that provides power to his home tipped them off. It is a fairly standard procedure whenever a user dramatically increases their power usage.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
to save power and fuel i would look into a thermal cooker for some of your cooking. i would like to get one if time permits me to get that far down the list :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts