Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the scoop guys:

I am a 23 year old male living on the outskirts of Jacksonville, Florida with my older parents and my 21 year old sister. I am a recent Florida State University graduate who double majored in finance and economics.

Not only did I study finance and economics extensively in college, but I have extensively read and followed the word of great men such as Ron Paul, Peter Schiff, Marc Faber and Jim Rogers. All of these great men predicted the financial crisis of '08 with incredible clarity and have given a dire forecast for the near term future of the United States. From the facts I have seen and studied, hyperinflation is not impossible, but guarranteed. With hyperinflation comes unimaginable horrors such as roaming gangs, massive crime waves, food and water shortages, black outs and utter chaos.

I have begun to prepare myself and family by stocking up on essential products as well as training with my newly purchased firearms.

This is a list of what I have procured so far. If there is anything I have missed that I might need when hyperinflation finally arrives, please let me know. Keep in mind I live with my skeptical parents in a medium sized house so I can be going and buying a giant wood stove or anything like that.

1)FOOD AND WATER STORAGE
- $500+ in a very wide variety of canned foods which totals up to around 700-800 cans of food with expiration dates around 2014
- Filled up two 12 gallon emergency water jugs with clean water
- 6 Twenty four packs of bottle water
- Katadyn Combi Water Filter with extra carbon (Good for atleast 13,000 gallons of fresh, drinkable water)
- Katadyn Vario Water Filter (Good for atleast 500 gallons, for bartering and backup purposes)
- $50 worth of Paper Utinsels

2)FIREARMS, AMMUNITION, AND SELF PROTECTION (In order of Purchase)
- 9mm handgun and holster (Glock 26), For personal defense outside the home
*I have around 500 9mm rounds (1/4 Hollowpoints, 3/4 FMJ)
*3 Ten round magazines and 1 seventeen round mag
- 20 gauge shotgun, For personal defense inside the home and bigger game hunting
*I have around 250 shells, a mix of birdshot, target loads and slugs
- SuperMark small game pellet gun. For small game hunting such as birds, rabbits and racoons.
*I have two 6000 lead pellet containers
- Romanian AK-47 w/Bayonet. For personal defense outside the home
*900 Rounds of 7.62x39mm FMJ ammo
*4 Thirty round magazines with one LOLA fast mag loader
- All ammo in Military Ammo Cans
- Level IIIa Chest Armor (40 S&W and down resistance)
- A wide variety of commonly used ammo (30-06, 40 S&W, 45, 38 special, 380, 22LR, 12 gauge slugs: 2 Boxes per ammo type)
- Riot Mask with face shield
- Gas Mask with extra 40mm filter
- Universal Gun Cleaning Kit

3) FINANCIAL PREPARATIONS
- Parents: Gold bullion, Silver Bullion, Cash (100s, 20s,10s, 5s)
- 2 separate safes (One super well hidden with 90% of our treasure, one poorly hidden with 10% of our treasure)

4) HOME RELOCATION
- My parents were the poster children for the housing crisis. They built our previous house in Jacksonville for the super inflated price of $700,000 back in 2005 were completely underwater. Back in January of last year, I convinced them to put their house up on the market while there still is a housing market. We sold our house and got into a much more affordable house with a fixed rate mortage. Our monthly payment went from $5k a month to $2k. With this fixed rate being completely eaten away by inflation, it will be quite a steal.

5) MEDICINE AND DENTAL
- 5 bottles of MultiVitamens (500 capsules per bottle)
- 2 First Aid Kits (gause, bandages, etc...)
- 4 Bottles of Medicinal Alcohol
- 10+ bottles of Nyquil/DayQuil/Pepto Bismal/Milanta
- 2 Bottles of Menstral Medicine
- 1 Bottle of Aloe
- 10 toobrushes
- 10 bottles of toothpaste
- 9 bottes of Asprin/Ibuprofen (200 capsules per bottle)
- 2 Different heavy duty Antiobiotc prescritions (Bactrim, Ciproflaxin)
- 4 Bottles of Blood Pressure medicine (Bistolic)
- 1 bottle Collodial Silver
- 1 Asthma Inhalor (Albuterol)
- 2 Bottles of Antihistamines

6) MISCELLANEOUS SURVIVAL TOOLS AND BARDER MATERIAL (also stored in Rubbermaid containers at home)
- 5 bottles of preservable wine (white and red)
- 3 Bottles of scotch (Johnny Walker, $25 per bottle)
- 4 Cartons of Cigarettes (2 Newport Menthol, 2 Marlboro, cartons air tight wrapped in duct tape)
- 500 batteries (AA,AAA,B,C,DD, 12v, 9v)
- 4 flashlights, 1 mag light
- 10 containers of spice mixers ($5 containers of a variety of spices including salt, pepper, peprika, cinnamon, and oregano, great trading instruments)
- 100 Nails
- 1 hammer, 1 screwdriver and 2 one gallon gas cans. (This is for extraction of gas from another car's gas tank in times of crisis. Lay under the car and hammer a small hole in the gas tank of a car with the screwdriver and once the gas is flowing from under the car, collect it with the gas cans and your on your way, no siphoning required)
- 1 Siphon
- 1 2000 page book of survival skills and tips called "When Technology Fails" by Matthew Stein. Covers everything from skinning an animal to growing your own crops.
- 2 propane powered Lanterns with 4 cans of propane
- 1 High Quality Flintstone (The kind used by Man Vs. Wild and SurvivorMan. Good for 10000 lights or 7000 fires.)
- 5 Large Cans of Lubricant/Gun Cleaner
- 30+ BIC liters
- 1 small-ish Axe
- 1 Fire Extinguisher
- 10 packs of seeds (refrigerated, corn, tomato, cucumber)
- 1 Camo Outfit (Hat, Jacket, Shirt, Sweat pants)
- 2 Ski masks (1 black 1 Green)
- 1 Midland CB radio (Still need antenna and installation into car)
- 8 Sets of Thermal Underwear (Tops and Bottoms)
- 1 set of Binoculars

7) THINGS TO BUY
---- 300+ more cans of food
---- 4 Twenty gallon vacuum sealed jugs of food staples
---- 1 Police Scanner
---- 1 Battery Powered AM/FM Radio
---- 3 Gas Masks with extra filters
---- Antenna and Installation for the CB radio
---- 20+ syringes
---- 50 Rolls of Toilet Paper
---- 5 Boxes of Tampons
---- 20 Large Plywood boards for boarding up our windows and doors
---- 1 set of Gardening tools (Shovel, trowel, fertilizer, Farmers almanac, etc...)
---- 1 Pair of combat boots
---- 2 Ounces of Pot (For personal consumption, Everybody has their vice, pot is mine)

Thats about all I can remember/find at this point. This list has cost me a lot of hard earned money and time but I do believe it is a good head start towards preparing my family and me for the treacherous future that lies ahead.

I wanna know if I forgot anything so feel free to lemme know what I missed.

By the way things are looking so far in Washingtion, I hope what I wrote gives you a good idea of how much preparation there really is left for us to do.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
STOP!!! right there with food :eek:

instead of a whole lot of canned goods that sounds like you have no plan for.how about make a list of foods you really like and make those part of your preps?

sit down make a list of 12-14 full meals that you would like to eat when the time comes. next make a list of everything you need to make those meals . then add up all the ingredients and see how much of each ingredients you need. then multiply all of it by 52 and you got over 2 full meals per day for 1 year of food that you will love to eat:thumb: saying you got a bunch of verious cann goods sounds more like a bunch of stuff with NO plan.THAT is a very bad plan

i would also add a sawyer's point one

http://www.sawyer.com/SP180.htm

instead of 500 batteries how about 100 rechargables and 2 chargers 1 that plugs into the wall and one that is solar powered.

you look like you got a REALLY great start i wouldn't stop when you get the rest of what you think you need and dont stop building/improveing on it :thumb:

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
LOT'S more water. I'd start making 5 gal buckets of beans, rice wheat...and the list goes on. That is a LOT of cans....be sure and rotate them out. Do a search of the forums. You'll find plenty here. I'd add a good .22 rifle to your arms.

Personally, I think you should have not listed some of the items you have...but that's just me.......

·
Don't tread on me.
980 Posts
That is a great list. You are doing well.

You need tools. All kinds.
And a lot more toilet paper.

Keep adding to the food, till you have a years worth. Eat what you buy and rotate as you go.

And as much as I am opposed to the war on drugs, with 2 ounces and all the guns etc that you have, you are exposing everything to seizure by the authorities.

Keep a little bit if you must, but thats a bad thing to stockpile. Especially in Florida.

·
Last of the First Line
868 Posts
Knives. You're going to need a good knife or three, and a way to sharpen them.

As for the pot - if you must have it - vac seal it, get it out of your house, and bury it.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
More Water

Water Catchment System

Precision rifle (.308 + )

Kick pot habbit

Kick cigarette habbit if you have one of those too

Alkaline batteries dont store forever, if you dont have any lithiums with 10 year shelf life get some. Run most of your stuff off NiMH rechargables most of the time.

20+ syringes?

Backup shelter (tarps, tents, ropes etc)

Edit original post to remove info we dont need to know (all education details, how far from jacksonville, yours and parents exact ages)

*edit*

Also if your planning on stealing gas from other peoples cars, I hope they prepped firearms and shoot you on the spot.

If you think you might wants some gas, buy it and store it with stabil added.

·
Asian Newbie
322 Posts
U started out great in your preparations, but I only got one question for your consideration:

How do u intend to refresh your items e.g. food, water, batteries, fuel, medicine, ammos etc.....all having a expiry date. I too have such preparations going on but the tougest decision comes when the stored items needs to be refresh (changed) after a period of time, some got to be thrown away, some got to be eaten before it expire etc.....do spare a thought for it. It pains the heart when u got to start throwing away stuff (lost of $) which expired or close to expiring and u can't consume it that fast.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hey Seminole-live in the same area.
Get a couple of 55 gal water barrels-when it rains they will fill.
Think from the ground up-sleeping-if we get hit by natural disaster-tarps, tents, sleeping bags.
Nice supply of batteries-how about going rechargeable-and get a solar charger.
Food-think dehydrating and sealing-they will last much longer.
You got the money covered, don't worry about that.
Ammo-when you can count rounds in the thousands you will be there.
OPSEC-do not offer too much information !!
Aside from that-glad to know there are others in our area who are getting prepared.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of the info guys. Appreciate the help.

I took down all of the information that seems to be a little bit too revealing like how much money I have, where I live, and my paren'ts age. Thanks for that advice. If anybody wants to come try and steal my stuff they better come locked and loaded.

Most of you guys suggested more water. Do you really think I need more water when I have a brand new water filter good for 13,000 gallons of fresh water? I have a small creek in my backyard where I will be able to extract and filter water at any time.

Solar Rechargeable batteries are a great idea that is now on my list

I don't ever keep large amounts of pot on me or in my house. Just a pipe dream I guess.

I plan to buy buckets of dehydrated rice, beans, and fruits from Sams.restraunt depot

I forgot to mention I do have 2 hunting knives and one meat cutting knife for wild game

keep the good advice coming guys

·
Registered
741 Posts
Great start!

I would add diahrrea meds and also a laxative. More tooth brushes also and what about body soaps shampoos dishsoap cleaning supplies.

Oils and shortenings condiments canning supplies more seeds and a way to amend soil and other gardening and food preservation supplies more salt.

Pains and fever meds. More alternate ways too cook and light the house.

You should consider getting a wood stove and the supplies to install and just store it if nothing else plus a supply of wood.

First aid supplies bandages crutches etc. Extra clothes wool items blankets, socks, hats.

I'm sure there's more we could add but that'll keep you going.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good start

I would recommend the following:
-consider getting a Ham operators license and at least a handheld, possibly a stronger mobile unit for vehicle
-Energy options - solar, generator, battery
-Long term food storage - bulk storage, Mountain House, MRE's, etc
-Skills - acquire as many skills as you can, general carpentry, electician, plumbing, gardening, car repair, all will be very helpful.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I don't ever keep large amounts of pot on me or in my house. Just a pipe dream I guess.

"Pipe dream?" :D:

Seriously, though, it would be good not to be enslaved to anything that you can avoid. The fewer vices one has, the better off he or she will be if something comes down.

Keep prepping, looks like you are doing good!

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Thanks for all of the info guys. Appreciate the help.

I took down all of the information that seems to be a little bit too revealing like how much money I have, where I live, and my paren'ts age. Thanks for that advice. If anybody wants to come try and steal my stuff they better come locked and loaded.

Most of you guys suggested more water. Do you really think I need more water when I have a brand new water filter good for 13,000 gallons of fresh water? I have a small creek in my backyard where I will be able to extract and filter water at any time. Solar Rechargeable batteries are a great idea that is now on my list

I plan to buy buckets of dehydrated rice, beans, and fruits from Sams.restraunt depot

I forgot to mention I do have 2 hunting knives and one meat cutting knife for wild game

keep the good advice coming guys

13,000 gallons really isnt alot IF your living on that you will run though it in 6 months to 1 year (pending on how big the family is) by washing, cooking, bathing,and cleaning.the sawyers filter is guaranteed 1,000,000 gallons or more and is ALOT cheaper :thumb: their purifier isnt a bad idea either.if you live in the city that creek water is most probably polluted with all kinds of posions,chemicals, and toxins.

if you plan on gardening not only do you need a canner but also i like haveing a dehydrator and vaccum sealer here is why:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=147658

dont go cheap on the rechargable batteries get NI-MH batteries and of those batteries get the ones that say they hold the charge longer the cheaper ones lose there power within 6 months but the better ones will hold a charge for 1 year.

these light sources the S250 and the S10 looks promising

http://www.dlightdesign.com/products_D.LIGHT_S250_global.php

this looks good also

http://www.depoteco.com/SPD/eco-i-l...-nightlight--2-pack---800001FD-1229486439.jsp

·
"Nothing is over!"
702 Posts
You said your space was limited due to the fact you live at home. Have you ever thought of renting a storage garage close to where you live. If you did, you could split up your supplies just in case something happened to half, you would have a back-up stash. I would store several of your cheaper guns and ammo there also.

I would also recommend better body armor. With the pullout of US troops from Iraq, you should be able to find surplus bodyarmor with plates that are capable of stopping most rifle bullets. These vest are extremely heavy and uncomfortable for anyone who has never worn one much, but they will save your life in a serious SHTF scenario.

Sinse you live in Florida I guess most of your preps will be geared more toward hurricanes than anything, and from natural disasters will come civil unrest.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good Additions guys keep them coming!!!

-- Body Soap/Shampoo
-- Diarehha Meds
-- Laxatives
-- Canning Materials (Still need to learn how to do that)
-- MREs

Aahaha. N.E.- The only reason I smoke pot is to be able to actually like eating healthy foods. If I'm gonna eat a **** I am gonna need one fat blunt...

And I am currently saving up right now to buy my own house thats even more rural than the one I live in now (right now I live in suburbia). I want it to be my family's SHTF retreat with a fence and defensible positions. With housing prices destined to tank even more but interest rates to rise rapidly, I have no clue whether I will be able to afford a house in 6 months. i don't even know if we have 6 months before the collapse...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts