Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Survival / Utility Knife setup:
About a year ago I decided I wanted a knife to carry when out camping, fishing, and 4 wheeling that would carry not only the tools I usually use , but some survival items in case I am without my usual pack and find myself far away from camp or my jeep. This is in no way a comprehensive survival kit and other than the knife itself, the saw and the locking scissor clamp, I carry more robust duplicates of most items in my pack(s).
First off I used the Spec Ops survival sheath, I modified it by adding a elastic leg strap, cut a slit above the pouch, and added a small kydex sheath for the clamp to slide in to. This sheath fits perfectly along the side of your rear, and stays there as the two loops split your belt loop. The whole setup is ~2lbs, and is comfortable during wheeling, and I forget it is there when hiking.

As you can see I added a
Kabar TDI Last ditch knife in front of the built in plastic sheath, both knives slide in nice and snug but not too tight. The keeper on the main SOG knife also keeps the TDI and the Clamp. The survival sheath has a platic insert (too difficult to remove to show you) that I have wound with gorilla tape, electrical tape, wire for snares, Kevlar sewing thread and I wedged 2 zip-ties in either side next to the TDI. Those are there in case of serious need.

The sheath carries a SOG Seal Team, a
Kabar TDI Last ditch, and a fishing scissor clamp.

Here is the back of the sheath.

I have a Fox 40 Micro whistle, a Tick Key, a compass/thermometer and a Star Flash signaling Mirror. All of these are locked in case they work out of the MOLLE loops.

On the bottom of the sheath, I have Fire Fixins Jute/Fatwood, Mini Tweezers and a Spark-Lite sparker, these are held down by the 550 cord which is around the sheath.

The sheath has a pouch on it, zippered and strapped, good place for safety pins.

The contents of the pouch are in the next three pictures, the frequently used tools, the med pouch and the rest. I have the tools I used frequently on a lanyard and a clip, don’t want to lose these; a Peanut Lighter, a P-51 Can Opener and a Photon Freedom Micro Light.

The med pouch includes; Alcohol swab, 6 Oasis Water Purification tabs, Neosporin Packet, 2 butterfly bandages, Ibuprofen tabs, Imodium tabs, sunscreen (I need it), extra batteries for the Photon light, pain relief tabs.

It packs up tiny:

Everything else in the pouch: Pocket Chainsaw (Handles on left), mini magnesium/flint, knife/fishhook sharpener, Nexcare Liquid Bandage like NewSkin (It is small and the best outdoor antisepic+bandage), a mini pressurized ball point pen, a tiny spray bottle of 100% Deet, a bag of 2 spark-lite tinder (also good blood absorber), and some assorted sewing needles.

I intend on adding some 3M Stri-Strips instead of the butterfly bandages, and some Moleskin for blisters.

Attachments

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Yep, not working.

But it does sound great, I can't wait to see it so get onto the pics!!! :D:

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Ok that was cool.
Personally I'd have all that in a waist pack, but good choice of gear. :thumb:

·
talks to strangers....
175 Posts
kick @$$ dude, great use of space. The only thing I can suggest is adding a pair or two of nitrile gloves if you can fit them, you never know when your going to have to touch something questionable. I like the idea of a 'tick key' i'm gonna hafta add that to my kit :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nitrile gloves would be great, but again this is a kit that is always on me, and gloves take up a LOT of space. I will be carrying a pack (max jumbo, waist, BOB or backpack) in most situations, this is just more of tools at my side with a little extra backup in case I lose my pack, can't get to something, due to injury or loss etc. I have a medium survival pack for hiking, with gloves/food/headlamp, and a big BOB pack for in a vehicle with extensive med, com, food, water, shelter, etc.
Thanks for the addition NF!

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have similar plans in store for my Ka-Bar. I just got the hard sheath the other day and have already wrapped some paracord to it, about 10 feet. I got some other ideas from a few vids on youtube. Simple and small things like a sharpener, paracord, reflective tape, fishing hooks and line, tin foil and maybe a few other things. Not too crazy but like a few tools.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Of course, never satisfied, going to add a little moleskin and replace the butterfly bandages for these steri-strip thingys, looks like they will do the job much better.
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

·
Banned
828 Posts
Man sick setup. How's that Sog seal knife? can you chop wood easy with it of needed? What kind of steel? Can you use the butom as a hammer? I've been trying for while to find the right survival/tacticle knife for my BOB. Can't seem to come across one I like.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
can you chop wood easy with it of needed?
No, not many knives can. They can baton, but not chop. My Kukri does pretty good though. I carry the saw to get through wood though.

What kind of steel?
AUS 8 http://sogknives.com/store/S37.html

Can you use the butom as a hammer?
No, not too well, but you can drive the knife into wood by hitting the bottom with a hammer.

It looks like you are after 2 things, a knife and a hatchet, a good way to go BTW.

·
Banned
828 Posts
can you chop wood easy with it of needed?
No, not many knives can. They can baton, but not chop. My Kukri does pretty good though. I carry the saw to get through wood though.

What kind of steel?
AUS 8 http://sogknives.com/store/S37.html

Can you use the butom as a hammer?
No, not too well, but you can drive the knife into wood by hitting the bottom with a hammer.

It looks like you are after 2 things, a knife and a hatchet, a good way to go BTW.
I'm looking for a survival/tactical knife sorta. I've seen a lot of Survival knifed with reviews on if needed it can chop firewood. So I've Ben trying to find the same characteristics in a combat knife too. Basically than can be good for both jobs I needed. I want it for my BOB pack. I've been thinking of the kukri and a mora knife combo. But if needed to carry on everyday basis the kukri may be kinda annoying. Also like I said earlier I want it survival/tactical. I know kukris are famous for great fighting weapons. Not no so sure on the newer ka bar cold steel ones.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts