Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I buried a shipping container under my backyard patio slab. I essentially used the shipping container for a concrete form and welded 6" rebar studs to the side of the container. I ran two courses of rebar, one at 3" and one at 6". I then tied used barn tin to the rebar for outer concrete forms.

On the interior, I built shelves and prewired lighting and made a workbench at one end, on which a matress could be placed.

I welded in metal stairs from a salvage yard, and painted the interior bright white. I welded in 3" pipe to support the roof spaced 4" apart. This was very important to support the weight of the concrete. All of this work was done with the large access doors open; there's a lot of trips in and out, didn't want to be climbing stairs.

I had a friend in construction dig the hole, and another close friend did the concrete work. OPSEC. He made 4 concrete piers to set the container on, ran perforated 4" pipe around the perimeter, and placed clean 3/4" rock between the piers.

It took two trackhoes to load it onto a trailer and to position it in the hole.:D:

We backfilled the hole with sand. This is a pic of the sidewall just prior to pouring concrete.

As we backfilled, also ran the electricity and water; it was only 5 ft. away from where we dug the hole. Trackhoe found both lines when digging trench for perforated line drain.:rolleyes:

Poured 8" of concrete on top for patio.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Looks like it will work great. Impressive amount of work you have put into that!

Can you share a bit more info about the foundation? That is a lot of concrete to set upon a few footers.... Is your soil pretty solid there? I would think that this type of construction would want to compress and settle out here where I live...

Also; a question regarding venting and airflow... Any moisture/condensation concerns?

·
Independent Thinker
2,244 Posts
Future plans? What are you going to do about ventilation? I want one!

Reactions: Genevieve

·
workin on it......
1,110 Posts
What were all the different sized pipes on the container? I saw one that was big enough for an exhust fan of some sort. The another smaller one below it that looked like a water pipe maybe?
Tell us!! LMAO!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Great job. I hope it never comes in handy other then a great root celler:), but man oh man if it is ever needed you are set:thumb:

·
Anarchist/Animist Primate
5,771 Posts
That is a fantastic idea. It's convenient, secure and camouflaged.

I would love to see pictures of the finished interior as well. :)

·
Banned
9,294 Posts
Nice job! :thumb: That is awesome!

We call ours the "little Winco" (superstore round these parts).

I began work on another one for my friends place...too bad it's under 3' of snow at the moment...anxious to get it finished!

Attachments

Reactions: RedWoods

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
As I wipe the drool from my keyboard, I am rethinking how I will do things around here now.

Great idea and execution. Hey, my kids will do ok at a state school right?

Reactions: jeepjeep666

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Yeah, pictures! Of the exterior! With maps. Google Earth. What kind of lock are you using on the hatch?

*totally kidding*

1 - 20 of 82 Posts