Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is currently 6 years old and I have taken him shooting with me several times. Usually I go to some land of a friend of mine that is near by. At that point he is banished to the bed of the truck and gets to watch from there.

Sunday was different. He was allowed to bring his BB gun and was allowed to shoot at the target himself. I made him adhere to all of the gun safety rules that we were following. Is the gun cocked? Where is the barrel pointed? Etc. Surprisingly he did well. He was safe and was shooting at his targets at about 50' with his BB gun.

At the end I decided to let him shoot my wife's Ruger 10/22. He was a bit scared. "Good" I said to myself "That means he respects them." I started off by telling him that this was a REAL gun and he should always stay away without me or mom with him. He rolled his eyes. "I know Dad." A swat to his butt showed him I was serious and he immediately answered. "Yes, sir." Asked him why. He said because it would hurt people. We have had this talk before.

I started to video tape it. You know me, got to video tape everything. LOL Then I decided against it. This was something being passed from me to him. It was something he needed to learn and I didn't want to share it other than a story told by me through my eyes.

With most of the weight of the gun on my left hand and my right wrapped around him so I could control the gun in a heartbeat. He aimed and fired. He shot it 3 times. Hit the target once.

And so it begins...

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Congrats! I did the same thing this past weekend with my son (7) and Daughter (8). We were at Mandy's grandmothers house. She is on 7 acres that backs up to several hundred acres.

They both shot my 9mm. I loaded one round at a time and we were shooting 16 oz water bottles on a wooden fence post from 20 yards. After going over some basic "rules" they each shot five rounds and actually hit the target a few times. I had to kneel behind them and help support gun from the base (I think I was more worried about them dropping it in the sand from the recoil...).

Matthew collected his casings and put them in a small tin. He hasn't stopped carrying them and has been bragging to everyone about it. He even went to school on Monday afraid that his friends would not believe him.

Precious moments for a lifetime...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Congrats on that to both involved.

As I have seen from most videos/posts done in a very well thought out and fantastic method.

That's one kid that won't be making the news anytime soon for anything bad, thank the Lord.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts