Survivalist Forum banner

My son needs his first knife

2501 98
He’s 9. A weblo. About to get his whittling chip. I wanna buy him his first knife.
I’m thinking SAK, but am also considering the leatherman and gerber versions.

any suggestions as to which SAK ? Or should I go with the leatherman , the gerber or even an MT ?

I feel like a locking blade is a good idea for safety.

I could also see myself getting him a 2-3 inch pocket knife. But nothing too pricey. Although a spyderco Wouldn’t be a bad idea, maybe a delica ?

edit

I’m also considering a RAT2. In aus8 with nylon scales. And a Kabar dozer.

they are cheaper than a cheap spyderco and at his age he could easily lose his first knife.
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't know if you'd be interested, but Buck makes the "official" knife for Boy Scouts-- they offer several models:

https://www.buckknives.com/collection/bsa/

They may be the best fit.

I agree, the locking blade is a must for safety. I was a Boy Scout for many years, and had many knives while in scouting. Personally, I always found that SAKs to be a bit gimmicky and the blades weren't very good. The delica looks like a very nice fit.

While a little bulky and cheap, Smith & Wesson makes some very affordable knives that lock with grippy handles although they look a bit tactical for scouting.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if you'd be interested, but Buck makes the "official" knife for Boy Scouts-- they offer several models:

https://www.buckknives.com/collection/bsa/

They may be the best fit.

I agree, the locking blade is a must for safety. I was a Boy Scout for many years, and had many knives while in scouting. Personally, I always found that SAKs to be a bit gimmicky and the blades weren't very good. The delica looks like a very nice fit.

While a little bulky and cheap, Smith & Wesson makes some very affordable knives that lock with grippy handles although they look a bit tactical for scouting.

The smaller spitfire could be a choice. I like the hole for opening.

if he makes eagle he’s definitely getting the custom Eagle Scout knife.

but I don’t think I want to spend the money on the folding hunter. Plus I hate nail nick openers so I’d have to put thumb disks on it.

I’m really leaning towards the rat2. They are liked even better than the esee folders and only 23 bucks on Amazon. It’s a liner lock. That should be easy for him.

of course a back lock might be safer.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
I would got with Swiss Army, specficially a model with a locking blade. I think on of the best ones out there are either the Outrider, or one of the one-hand models:

Now, this is why I would avoid a "pocket clip" folding knife. Kids will often lose a pocket knife, they'll forget it, it will get caught on their shirt and pulled out, etc. With a SAK, you can add a lanyard to attach to their belt or belt loop; add a small fire steel and a whistle. Hard to lose, easy to use. Bright red helps as well ;)

They aren't all that sexy compared to folding knives, but they are extremely utilitarian in the outdoors.

ROCK6

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
As a kid I always had Buck knives, plain old folding lock blades. Never once cut myself. Even as a kid, I never liked Swiss style knives, felt like the no-lock function would hurt me. Still regret trading a Buck knife for a bicycle ... I did cut myself a bunch with razor knives as a kid.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4 & 56:11
24,692 Posts
This one would be good, locking blade, yellow is easy to spot when dropped, and can be personalized...

Swiss Army EvoGrip S18 Features:
Ergonomic handles with rubber
2.5" Locking Blade
Lever Design Serrated-Edge Scissors
Can Opener
Small Screwdriver
Cap Lifter
Large Locking Screwdriver
Wire Stripper
2.75" Double-Cut Wood Saw
Phillips Screwdriver
Punch, Reamer
Key Ring
Tweezers
Toothpick

And a few books he might like

A good field sharpener

And... because any young new knife owner will need them

·
Jackpine Savage
8,010 Posts
I would got with Swiss Army, specficially a model with a locking blade. I think on of the best ones out there are either the Outrider, or one of the one-hand models:

Now, this is why I would avoid a "pocket clip" folding knife. Kids will often lose a pocket knife, they'll forget it, it will get caught on their shirt and pulled out, etc. With a SAK, you can add a lanyard to attach to their belt or belt loop; add a small fire steel and a whistle. Hard to lose, easy to use. Bright red helps as well ;)

They aren't all that sexy compared to folding knives, but they are extremely utilitarian in the outdoors.

ROCK6
The black one looks to be the same as the German mil surp that I have. A good knife, I really like it, and love that it has a liner lock.

·
Premium Member
Very
1,812 Posts
Just get him a Barlow. He’s nine years old.

·
Registered
888 Posts
If he really gonna do whittling/carving I’d suggest a small classic 3 blade Schrade, or Old Timer.
But maybe I’m partial cause such was my first knife. 🤷🏼‍♂️
The sheeps foot in them works better for fine detail.
Yeah, same here. I had several growing up. Best all around knife. I never liked the SAKs cause of the SS blades. Impossible to sharpen. Maybe they are better/different now.
Although, the idea of a lanyard might be good if the kid is rough and tumble.

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
64,214 Posts
He’s 9. A weblo. About to get his whittling chip. I wanna buy him his first knife.
I’m thinking SAK, but am also considering the leatherman and gerber versions.

any suggestions as to which SAK ? Or should I go with the leatherman , the gerber or even an MT ?

I feel like a locking blade is a good idea for safety.

I could also see myself getting him a 2-3 inch pocket knife. But nothing too pricey. Although a spyderco Wouldn’t be a bad idea, maybe a delica ?

edit

I’m also considering a RAT2. In aus8 with nylon scales. And a Kabar dozer.

they are cheaper than a cheap spyderco and at his age he could easily lose his first knife.
Swiss Army Multitool:

Insect Arthropod Automotive lighting Wing Pest

Lots of options out there. I like this particular design and carry one daily.

Reactions: fotog

·
Wrong Side of Heaven
5,650 Posts
Growing up .... scouts, ranching, hunting fishing etc.
I could not tell you my first knife.
Even had, still have this one.
Head Arthropod Insect Pest Terrestrial animal

Had the array of Swiss's several fixed, untold folders.

But the one I was most connected with memory wise and still hold high that was gifted is my buck 110 around 12??

I understand the age and locking features are primary I would go the Swiss S18 noted above first I saw that and will keep that in memory for gift idea

1 - 20 of 99 Posts