Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as not to completely get off topic in one of Kev's threads, I'm posting my solar power stuff here.

Let me know what you think.

PowerFilm 10 watt solar panel

Nitecore usb battery charger

I can plug a usb cable or an Apple Lightning Cable right into the usb adapter

the battery charger charges multiple battery sizez

and it folds up small enough to fit nicely into my pack

It works for me and my needs.

:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
23,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rechargeable cr123 batteries go in my streamlight sidewinder compact flashlight (they really need a shorter name for that) the rechargeable 18650's work in my ecig and a "tactical" flashlight my stepdaughter got me for Christmas (it just sits near the back door at my house for emergency use)

I also use it for recharging my iPhone and iPad and was using it to recharge a 9800mah battery pack but I broke that and haven't got a new one yet.

·
Super Moderator
23,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Interesting.

I could use a similar set up for my 18650 stuff. Also for other things.
It takes a few hours to charge two 18650’s but I carry a spare pair so I can have one in use while the other set charges. Giving up my ecig in July so I won’t have that to worry about anymore. Worked my way from 12mg nicotine down to 1.5mg’s. Looking very forward to being nicotine free.

I’ll probably buy another flashlight to use the 18650’s in.

The nightcore charger will handle almost any normal battery size, I’ve had AAA and AA batteries in it and had no problems. The usb cord even wraps around the back of it for easy storage. It has indicators to show charge level as it charges. Auto shutoff to prevent over charging.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I did experiment with my portable solar..I had a car die so off to wreckers she went but I kept the car battery it was completely drained it took 2 days trickle charge to fill and then I hooked battery up to 2 small grow lights, they lasted 2 hours each..

I wanted to know charge time and usage time...and how good the portable would work, they are amazing things..expensive here in Canada

·
Super Moderator
23,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My main reason for buying it was because last summer a bad storm knocked out power in our area for 3 weeks. It took even longer to restore power to my house due to the tree that feel on our roof was laying across the main power line. I had a small 9800mah battery pack with a solar panel on the front but keeping my iphone, ipad, wifes iphone and ipad charged off of that was just not working out. I am much happier with this solar panel.

And it's made in USA so I like that part too.

·
reluctant sinner
17,914 Posts
I love the concept. I read that folding style unit (0.6#) isn't even close to water resistant (shorts out but doesn't say if it will work again when dried out) but the rollable units are. The 7 W one is 0.7#, 14 W 1.1#, 21 W 1.6#.

Tough call when the weight is on your back - about the same with 25% less power or twice as heavy with 40% more power. I think I would keep it in some sort of lightweight ridged box/tube.

I just ordered the Nitecore I4 for the BOV, $26 comes with both ac and dc cords.

·
Super Moderator
23,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Part numbers or model numbers of everything?
Really nice set up and I d like to mimic it.

Thanks

Links to components?
Solar panel is a PowerFilm Solar Collector 10 watt PN:FM15-600 SN: 012129 Ames, Iowa

You can find their website here https://www.powerfilmsolar.com/ and it has info on all their products and where to buy them

Occasionally you can find them on eBay or amazon (I got mine on amazon)

The battery charger is a NiteCore UM20 and is also available on amazon

·
Super Moderator
23,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I love the concept. I read that folding style unit (0.6#) isn't even close to water resistant (shorts out but doesn't say if it will work again when dried out) but the rollable units are. The 7 W one is 0.7#, 14 W 1.1#, 21 W 1.6#.

Tough call when the weight is on your back - about the same with 25% less power or twice as heavy with 40% more power. I think I would keep it in some sort of lightweight ridged box/tube.

I just ordered the Nitecore I4 for the BOV, $26 comes with both ac and dc cords.
I’ve got a dry bag to store it in and well, if it’s raining I ain’t gonna be charging anything anyway so I’m not to worried about it. I have not read anything about there being an issue though.

·
Super Moderator
23,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder if it would recharge my hunting/fishing lights they are rechargeable and come with a smart charger?
They sell various wattage sizes from 1.5 to 220 (too rich for my wallet) and adapters of all sorts so they may have something that would work for you.

This is just a solar panel I’m using to hook to a battery charger or iPhone. The panel itself does not store any power.

·
Super Moderator
23,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Better double check that 20 watt listing, it says this in the description
Output: 5V/3.5A (Dual USB Max)
Charging Time: About 8 hours
Solar panels: 3 pcs
Solar efficiency: 21-24%
Panel type: SunPower
USB charging ports: 2 ports
Unfolded size: 27.5 x 11.3 x 0.2 inches
Folded size: 11.3 x 6.5 x 0.5 inches
Certifications: ROHS
Battery: No Batteries
I bet that would take a long time to charge an iPad.

·
Super Moderator
23,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's a very compact battery charger I recently picked up. So far I've used it to charge AA, AAA and CR123's, no problems yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Olight-Universal-Magnetic-Charger-Batteries/dp/B071NZ5S3F/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1525959974&sr=1-2&keywords=olight+battery+charger
That is pretty small. My concern with that would be does it have a auto cutoff to prevent over charging?

If you want to get even smaller you can get some Fenix batteries that the usb cord plugs straight into. I have a couple of these https://www.amazon.com/TWO-PACK-ARB...rd_wg=JvvZz&psc=1&refRID=3QK2GFMG09G2Y7ZNGR0X and although they make me nervous when charging them, they do have a circuit built in to prevent overcharging. You can get them in several sizes

Here's a picture of mine charging

·
Super Moderator
23,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since I'm on the subject of solar power stuff for my BOB I might as well throw in my choice for a lantern....

LuminAid PackLite Nova USB

Charges by the solar panel on top, it uses any light source (it will charge just laying on my coffee table under a normal ceiling light fixture) and you can also plug it into a USB cable and charge it from there. Waterproof, small, light, collapsible, 5 light settings and a strobe setting. I think I paid $30? for it. You can find them on ebay or amazon.

Made a little pouch for it top hang off the top of my BOB so it charges while I walk.

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,797 Posts
nice set up....

i used a similar rig for our trip to mexico last year, and boy did it come in handy as cabo got whacked by a hurricane, resort lost power but i was able to charge devices, power small sw receiver, charge battery banks, etc...it was a nice feeling knowing i had that covered. one of my battery banks has a solar cell baked into it to recharge, w/an led flashlight, that was a lifesaver too....

wifey quit making fun of all the kit i take when we travel...

:D:

·
Registered
639 Posts
That is pretty small. My concern with that would be does it have a auto cutoff to prevent over charging?
I don't think it has a cutoff for lithium, but looks like there is at least an indicator to let you know when to disconnect. Here is the answer to that question per amazon product Q&A:

It has charging indicator.
Charging:
* CC & CV rechargeable lithium batteries
* CC-DELTA V NiMH batteries
*Red indicator (Blinks 3 times per second) - Standby
* Red indicator - Charging
* Green indicator (steady) - Charging Completed
Max.Charging Current:750mA
Max. Charging Voltage:4.25V for rechargeable lithium battery/1.45V for NiMH battery

Charging Cut-Off Points
* When the charging current drops down blow 100mA for re chargeable lithium battery.
* Delta V (when the voltage drops after it is fully charged) for NiMH battery.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts