Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If shtf/teotwawki occurs within a year...

Weapons:
As of this moment, I have a Mossberg 590A1 12 ga. with a bead sight that holds 8+1. I have an AK-47, which is effective to about 300 yards, and Im quite good with. I also have a Marlin X7VH in 308 with a 26" heavy barrel, 6-24x50 scope, adjustable trigger, and bipod. And then I have a Marlin 795 semi-auto .22 that currently has a 10 rd. mag but I did find 25 rd. banana clips for it for $18 at midwayusa.

I think for the most part Im covered no matter what I encounter. The shotgun is the one the military currently uses and would be good for up close n personal or room entry. the AK would is a good close-mid range gun and with fmj's is armor piercing I believe, and it also has a real nice intimidation factor goin for it so the majority of people arent going to want to start sumthin with me n push their luck. I know most of us dont find it that scary but to the average non-gunloving person it would be pretty scary. And the 308 could be used either for sniping or taking out vehicles (if I sink a few into the engine or shoot the driver or tires) or hunting big game after I disappear into the wilderness. The .22 would also be a good gun for hunting small game for dinner as well as a good small scale sniper/zombie gun.

Now I know most of you are saying "what the hell is this guy on?!" but a 22 to the head of the living or living dead will still do a fine job putting them down within 50-100 yards without letting everyone in the county know where you are and what your doing. Plus Id rather use the cheap .22 ammo if possible and save the higher powered stuff for something bigger and tougher.

I am planning on getting a LOT more guns, Ive collected those four since last march, and Im planning on buying a couple more with my taxes in 2012.

Im also planning on buying a nice compound bow to use as my primary hunting weapon so that instead of using my limited supply of ammo I can hopefuly find and retrieve my arrows.

I know this is not a whole lot of guns but when the shtf I can use them to help collect/loot food, supplies, fuel, or more ammo and guns, while everyone is still panicking.

Shelter:
If things arent really that bad around here n I think Ill be ok staying at my house I may do that. I live in jodaviess county illinois and the nearest town only has 2000 ppl. I dont think the panic will be to terribly bad out here and it will be alot easier for me to do things since I dont have to fight over everything with 10's of thousands of people.

If it does get bad where Im at and after I get done collecting what I feel I need to survive for a while, I am going to load everything I have into a 40' stock trailer my step dad has and head toward northwest minnesota asap. I chose this location because for the most part the only "natural disaster" they have is snow. This isnt a real big deal to me because I do have a snowmobile, and if I am able to collect a fair amount of fuel for it then we'll be able to get aroung fast if there is an emergency. And the population is REALLY thin up there and its well away from oceans or nuclear power plants or tornado-common-places and fault lines. The nearest danger is yellowstone, but thats still quite a ways a way. Plus there is a lot of wild life to hunt up there and wood for fire and Im sure I can find a house or hotel or building to make into my "home base".

Hopefuly during all that I will be able to aquire some type of wind generator or a bunch of solar panels so that I can connect them to where ever I am living so that we have some sort of power for pumping water out of wells or for using electric heaters. Im assuming most of the houses up there in minnesota are pretty well insulated since they are so far up north so im sure that between proper clothing and fire and heaters we will be able to keep warm pretty well. If I am going to be spending some real time up there I would like to redo a house so everything runs on electric so that the collection of wind/solar/human powered generators I have allows me and my group to live as normal as possible.

Food:
If post shtf doesnt get any better the group out hunting all day long since there is nothing else we'll need to do lol and this turns into a permanent life style I plan on growing at least 1 acre of potatoes, which will feed about 20 people for a year and provide us with enough calories on a daily basis and can be used as a backup/staple if my group is unable for hunt/gather enough to sustain itself.

Water:
If I decide to stay in my home I think I should still be ok. If I am able to get a wind generator I can hook it up and be able to pump water out of our well. if I dont have electricity there are still plenty of streams around here. Ill still have to filter and boil the water but itll work one way or the other.
If I head to minnesota im sure between the wind generator, streams, and melting snow in a pot Ill be able to find water.

Conclusion:

I am going to try collecting as much of this as I can as fast as I can. I would like to collect as many survival related books on skinning, hunting, foraging, from scratch cooking, medicine and medical treatment, and whatever else I think I might need.

My main strategy is to avoid people as much as possible. I know I am not prepared or capable of taking an army head on but hopefuly Ill have enough sense and luck so that I can keep my distance and avoid as many situations/confrontations as I can.

Let me know what you all think!

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
I see several failures:

1. "...limited supply of ammo..." Why? Don't buy any more guns, but instead start purchasing ammo. A gun without ammo is nothing more than a poor excuse for a club. FYI: that cheap 25-round 795 magazine will break when you need it most. Stick with the original 10-round nickel plated steel versions.

2. Not having to fight over everything with 10,000 people vs. 2,000 people is just semantics. You won't win either way.

3. A 40' stock trailer rolling down the road after SHTF is going to present a very nice target. It shows that you have fuel, livestock, and/or supplies.

4. "...I can find a house or hotel or building to make into my 'home base'..." If you mean to procure by declaration after SHTF, that is stealing. Make a better plan.

5. A wind generator is going to attract attention as well. It cannot be concealed, and shows the potential for resources to others.

6. Believing you will be able to hunt for any extended period after SHTF and loss of ROL is a pipe dream. Most of the game will be hunted to near extinction the moment the stores shelves get emptied.

7. You will die if you expect to sustain yourself on potatoes. Heirloom seeds are cheap - get some. Store at least one year's worth of long-term food for every person now, while you have the chance. Get some vitamins as well.

8. You never mentioned anything medical. You are going to want some medical supplies since they will not be available at your local drugstore after SHTF, and most doctors do not stockpile more than a few days worth of any medical supplies.

If SHTF tomorrow....you likely would not make it with your current plan. You would either starve out in a few months, or get shot for looting things that did not belong to you, or get overrun and killed for your wind generator.

·
Travel Light
1,532 Posts
Oh no. It's another 16 year old troll!!!

Keep in mind, if you are real, your 'survival' tactics are more likely to get you killed than to keep you alive. Collecting a stash of guns doesn't making you a prepper, it makes you a gun nut. Tossing everything you've got into a big trailer and heading 'north' to some countryside you've never been to and know nothing about doesn't mean you've got a bug out plan, it means you don't have a clue. Going around stealing everyone's stuff doesn't make you resourceful, it makes you a looter and I guarantee myself and most others on this board will have our sights set on you and put you down before you could cause us harm.

Now take some time and read the posts on the board and learn a thing or to about what prepping and survivalism is and maybe in your next post you won't come across like some douche.

·
Resurgam.
122 Posts
Seems I was a bit late to point out the obvious, so I'll just go with this:

The fact that your first and largest section is about the guns and weapons you have is a clear indicator of what your mindset is. That should change immediately. You say that your main strategy is to avoid people, yet you start off by describing what you'd use to take out people/vehicles. That's a huge conflict right there. If your goal is to avoid the masses, then guns should be low on your priority.

Your smallest section is on food. That should easily be the largest and most detailed. As mentioned by another poster, don't expect to rely on hunting for survival. You also need a balanced diet, and your plan lacks any type of fruit or vegetable.

The final flaw I see in your plan is the amount of assumptions you make. You mention going to Minnesota if you have to bug out and all the things you'll hopefully come across. Given that I doubt people will just abandon solar panels, wind turbines, and other generators, I can only assume you'd be taking these things through force. That is the wrong mindset to have, and a quick way for you to make enemies on these forums. Don't expect to just find the things you need after SHTF. Don't rely on ridiculous assumptions that everything you need will just magically appear when you need it to. You should be proactive, not reactive.

·
Banned
2,687 Posts

Keep in mind, if you are real, your 'survival' tactics are more likely to get you killed than to keep you alive. Collecting a stash of guns doesn't making you a prepper, it makes you a gun nut. Tossing everything you've got into a big trailer and heading 'north' to some countryside you've never been to and know nothing about doesn't mean you've got a bug out plan, it means you don't have a clue. Going around stealing everyone's stuff doesn't make you resourceful, it makes you a looter and I guarantee myself and most others on this board will have our sights set on you and put you down before you could cause us harm.

Now take some time and read the posts on the board and learn a thing or to about what prepping and survivalism is and maybe in your next post you won't come across like some douche.
Just exactly what is "trollish" about the post?

Rather than insult, try helping out

And contrary to popular belief, there are OTHER places to learn about prepping and survival than just here. People had a life before joining here.

PS: Having a different opinion than yours or not being as superior as you about prepping does not make one a troll

·
Warrior Trying tobe Civil
1,880 Posts
If shtf tomorrow...
Devastator, maybe you should modify your OP. After all you started it out as "If shtf tomorrow". About the biggest thing you discuss in your plan, is a few guns, you have today, that you will have tomorrow.

If the SHTF fan tomorrow, what is your plan, when you haven't had enough time to make all the other preparation you list?

Not trying to flame you here, just trying to follow your opening, about tomorrow.

Best Regards......Eagle Six

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,497 Posts
All the Ns and Us he used in place of words in his thread about heat pretty much proves that.

Agreed.

·
Family Always Comes First
698 Posts
Remember, you asked us to let you know what we think about your plan!

I'd like to add that Minnesota DOES indeed get quite a few tornados each year. They are usually a bit later than those that hit in what is considered "Tornado Alley", but June, July and August does produce some tornados up in the northern states.

Just because that area isn't known for faultlines and earthquakes doesn't mean squat. Oklahoma isn't either, but 2 years ago Oklahoma averaged 50 earthquakes per year. Last year, Oklahoma had 1047 earthquakes.

You did mention Yellowstone. Do you think that "IF" Yellowstone does blow, that area would be safe? If Yellowstone goes, much of the USA will be covered with ash and the sky WILL darken for several weeks, if not months or even years. That would make your acre of potatos (that you have not prepared the soil for or planted) have a real hard time growing while you are trying to hunt for the rest of your food (at the same time as every other fool that didn't prepare will be trying to do).

All I can say is you really need to think much harder about your SHTF Plan. You might be a little better off than someone that thinks than everyone will be taken care of by FEMA if any disaster occurs, but just a little and once you start raiding for food and other supplies, your life expectancy will become very sort. You should plan on staying far away from someone that is really prepared because they will see you coming from much further than your .308 that you've had since March can shoot.

I do give you just a few points for trying to think ahead though. Just do LOTS of reading here and on other sites and give your plan the time to come together with something that might have a chance to actually work. I wish you the best of luck.

Medic73

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see several failures:

1. "...limited supply of ammo..." Why? Don't buy any more guns, but instead start purchasing ammo. A gun without ammo is nothing more than a poor excuse for a club. FYI: that cheap 25-round 795 magazine will break when you need it most. Stick with the original 10-round nickel plated steel versions.

2. Not having to fight over everything with 10,000 people vs. 2,000 people is just semantics. You won't win either way.

3. A 40' stock trailer rolling down the road after SHTF is going to present a very nice target. It shows that you have fuel, livestock, and/or supplies.

4. "...I can find a house or hotel or building to make into my 'home base'..." If you mean to procure by declaration after SHTF, that is stealing. Make a better plan.

5. A wind generator is going to attract attention as well. It cannot be concealed, and shows the potential for resources to others.

6. Believing you will be able to hunt for any extended period after SHTF and loss of ROL is a pipe dream. Most of the game will be hunted to near extinction the moment the stores shelves get emptied.

7. You will die if you expect to sustain yourself on potatoes. Heirloom seeds are cheap - get some. Store at least one year's worth of long-term food for every person now, while you have the chance. Get some vitamins as well.

8. You never mentioned anything medical. You are going to want some medical supplies since they will not be available at your local drugstore after SHTF, and most doctors do not stockpile more than a few days worth of any medical supplies.

If SHTF tomorrow....you likely would not make it with your current plan. You would either starve out in a few months, or get shot for looting things that did not belong to you, or get overrun and killed for your wind generator.
to #2: 2000 minus all the old people, children, and since an average of 1 in 4 households have guns, 75% of whoevers left. that doesnt leave alot of people. and then subtract the people who wouldnt actually get in a gun fight and theres not a whole lotta people to fight over things with.

to #4: if the majority of people are dead, who am I stealing from. Im not talking about a bad snowstorm obviously. Im talking about a serious problem like russian invasion, large-scale terrorism, or zombies or something.

To #5: if you actually read the entire post. Im in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. implying that THERE IS NO ONE AND NOTHING for miles and miles. theyre not gonna see or hear a damn wind generator.

To #6: if the majority of people have already died. there not a whole lot of people left to hunt. with the amount of wildlife and farm animals left unattended, Im sure Ill be able to find meat.

to #7: Im not talking about only eating potatoes alone forever. Im talking about using them as a backup when Im not able to forage for any other food or find any meat. I am also planning on stocking up on canned and dehydrated food.

to Scones. no I am not 16. Im 22. and Im not talking about looting from other survivors. Im talking about taking supplies from abandoned buildings and the dead. where ever i can find anything. hopefully if I do run into other survivors we can team up instead of shoot it out. but I will be careful, because there will be raiders and others that will try to take my things.

to Xaith: obviously no matter how hard I try to avoid other people that could attack me, its still going to happen. and if I cant defend myself, then Im screwed.

Im sure minnesota does have natural disasters. DUH. it just has less of them then most other places.

the only reason I abrieviated u's and n's is because i was replying and posting from my droid and it was alot to type. lay off. if your just gonna be rude and nit pick every damn thing I said then just dont post.

by "tomorrow" I meant really damn soon. I obviously know that I still need to collect alot.

it does not matter if I have not had guns or havent been shooting for 30 years. I still shoot alot and Im really good at it.

·
Warrior Trying tobe Civil
1,880 Posts
by "tomorrow" I meant really damn soon. I obviously know that I still need to collect alot.
OK, now I know what you meant, but that is not what you said. If you have a plan, be specific as you can and mean what you say. If you are going to leave things out and expect others to read between your lines....I for one don't have a crystal ball.

Now these are your words:
Let me know what you all think!
Do you mean that? If so put your thick skin on, your not a teenager, you are getting feedback, and you asked for it. Clarify what you can, address the skeptics and learn from others....isn't that why you OP'ed?

Most of the replies to your OP are negative....maybe they are right and you are wrong.....maybe you have learned something. Take the bad with the good!!

Best Regards......Eagle Six

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
I see several failures:

I also note the only one OP says he's at all proficient with is the AK. If he really thinks he's going to be fighting and hunting for his life, he should be working on being good with all of them rather than worrying about buying more 'toys'.

He seems quite focused on the idea of getting into fire fights. With a disturbing amount of both relish and casualness about the prospect. Someone should point out to him that in real life, you can't hit the reset button and start over if you take a bullet; it's a life changing - and often life ending - event. One you don't want to risk unless you have no choice.

And if you don't have a lot of fuel, you're not going to be rolling long.

And driving a stock trailer on snowy unplowed roads would call for a braver man than I.

Also a good way to die if he mistakenly tries taking a building that is still occupied. Or where the owners come back later and are better fighters than he is.

OP seems really obsessed with keeping the electricity flowing. He should consider that that's probably not going to happen. And how he's going to deal with that.

Not to mention, being out in the woods / wilds with a bunch of desperate hunters shooting at anything that moves - or makes a sound - is nowhere I would want to be...

Well, actually, as the Irish found out, potatoes combined with dairy products do provide a largely balanced diet, if you eat enough of both. But as the Irish also found, if you think you can get consistent yields in the face of disease, weather, insects, and random chance, you're in for a BAD surprise. Not to mention potatoes don't store that well, unless you dehydrate them; you can get awfully hungry between the time the last of your store turns into slime, and the first of the new crop is ready for harvest.

In addition, I don't want to think of the digging, planting, hoeing, and cultivation you'd need for an acre (or more!) of potatoes and other vegetables. Especially by hand. :eek:

He also doesn't mention what food and water he's already got stored, apparently ignoring the possibility of a disaster that might prevent him from hunting, gathering, or buying more or contaminate natural supplies. What he's doing to make his current place safe. What preps he's got aside from guns, and what skills beyond shooting. Frankly, I hope this is just a troll; if it's a person who really thinks he's preparing for disaster, that would be... sad...

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
Just another guy, who thinks he's King because he owns a few guns. (Also, obviously a Future Raider.)

Paper targets at the range don't shoot back. Neither do those animals you plan to hunt. But, evidently, you are convinced that all your bullets will hit the mark, and no one will EVER shoot back at you.

Lose the video game mentality........and try living in the real world.

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts
Just exactly what is "trollish" about the post?

Rather than insult, try helping out

And contrary to popular belief, there are OTHER places to learn about prepping and survival than just here. People had a life before joining here.

PS: Having a different opinion than yours or not being as superior as you about prepping does not make one a troll
I'm sure all of the people above are sorry they offended you with the comments they posted that the OP asked for.

Some people here have read enough posts to pick out the BS. Maybe once you are here a bit longer than two weeks, you'll be one of them.

·
Banned
2,687 Posts
I'm sure all of the people above are sorry they offended you with the comments they posted that the OP asked for.

Some people here have read enough posts to pick out the BS. Maybe once you are here a bit longer than two weeks, you'll be one of them.
I don't think he asked for these:"Oh no. It's another 16 year old troll!!!"

"Now take some time and read the posts on the board and learn a thing or to about what prepping and survivalism is and maybe in your next post you won't come across like some douche. "

But, hey THANKS! now I am totally aware of a union style senority on this board...

two weeks? yes I was created in a test tube and came right here, I have no experience in reading or any other skills prior to that - DA

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,497 Posts
But, hey THANKS! now I am totally aware of a union style senority on this board...
There's no seniority here. We've had plenty of new members who right out of the box posted well thought out ideas, or came here to share their knowledge, or to learn and expand their own, and were received warmly.

When someone posts something and asks for opinions on it, they're going to get them. If their idea was poorly thought out, they will be told that in no uncertain terms. If it was were well thought out, they will be told that also.

The ones who get defensive after asking for opinions, were never here seeking knowledge in the first place, only validation.

·
Travel Light
1,532 Posts
Bitterroot, if I can slap some sense into someone coming on here that looks like he's going to end up a raider GOOD. It might save his life, the life of others, my life, or maybe even yours. Look at his response to honest to SMM...he is clearly more concerned with defending his thoughts that taking good advice, the only way to counter that is with a dose of harsh reality. Your post about union style seniority here makes no sense, hell, I barely have more 'seniority' than you. I did spend the previous year practicing survival in what may be the harshest environment on earth...the high arctic tundra, so to me it's not debating survival 'theories', some of us actually know from experience what works, what won't, what mentalities are useful and which are harmful.

Devastator - my sincerest apologies about your age. I guess 22 is the new 16

·
Registered
22,053 Posts
The fact that your first and largest section is about the guns and weapons you have is a clear indicator of what your mindset is. That should change immediately. You say that your main strategy is to avoid people, yet you start off by describing what you'd use to take out people/vehicles. That's a huge conflict right there. If your goal is to avoid the masses, then guns should be low on your priority.
THIS.

Very first thing I thought before I even got done reading the OP's post, was that BAM firearms were listed first.

·
Registered
22,053 Posts

"Now take some time and read the posts on the board and learn a thing or to about what prepping and survivalism is and maybe in your next post you won't come across like some douche. "

two weeks? yes I was created in a test tube and came right here, I have no experience in reading or any other skills prior to that - DA
Hey man, don't get discouraged. We all started somewhere. Just chalk this up to a learning experience.

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts

Senority doesn't mean you can't be wrong and it doesn't mean you aren't a tool. Trust me.

That said, when someone that has been on the boards here for two weeks max and starts lecturing more respected members of the community, don't be surprised if it gets someone's dander up.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts