Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1459 Posts

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are others that have their blogs, or accountability threads and such, I like to talk with them but sometimes I feel that I'm hijacking or diverting the thread.

So I'm going to start my own where I can talk rant etc. about my lifting and hopefully it will make me feel more accountable and keep me going.

I say, in the title, "RAW power" because it's MY BELIEF that if you can't lift it in shorts and a tee shirt then you can't lift it. That's the way I lift, and like I said it's my personal belief. I don't do steroids, and I gave up DHEA so nobody can say I do, which amazes me, but anyway. I do take a multi-vitamin pack daily, have for years, and use no pre-workout drinks and such. I'm trying to keep it as raw as possible without lifting nekid :eek:

So, for my opening... I'm off to a slow start this year, work and such has kept me away from the gym for the last month or so, and today, hopefully, will be my start back at some steady lifting.
From time to time I like to pick a particular lift and drive it up to previous, or record levels. That's tough for us older guys, but it is motivating and gives me a goal to work towards.

My lift for now will be Incline bench. My best ever, I was 28 then, was 425X2, so my goal now is 400X1. Last week I made my first, attempt at getting back and did an easy 275X5. I'm getting back to the gym today and will see where it goes.

I'm going to follow the traditional Chest/Back, Arms/Shoulders, Legs routine.

Sorry, forgot to add : I'm 56 years old, body weight of 240 lbs, 5' 10" and a 36" waist.
Body fat...I honestly have no idea, I can see some abs, but they're not sharp.

Any thoughts, ideas, etc., are appreciated.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I made it in today, just got back, and it wasn't the day I wanted, but it was pretty much what I expected.

It went like this,

Flat bench 135X10X2 getting the joints warmed up and stretched out a bit.
225X10
275X10X3 This is a good maintenance weight, not taxing, but enough to feel
like i'm doing something.
Incline bench 225X10
275X5X2 not feeling strong today

Incline bench db's 100X10 tougher than it should have been, it felt 10# heavier on
my right side, must have something out in my back..
95X10 still not good, right side just isn't right
90X10 better but no cigar, maybe next time

Flat dumbbells 100X10X3 not bad, but I'm not feeling it today

Wide grip pulldowns 3X10 with wide grip, back felt good, but NOT strong
Wide Parallel grip 3X10 the parallel grip felt pretty good, I think a narrower
grip would have been better (18" vs ~24")

Abs and hit the sauna, love the sauna, I can't get much of a sweat built up the way they keep the gym. Personally I like the weights shaking from the music, and sweat dripping off of me between sets, that's motivation!

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to use one but got away from squats, heavy ones anyway, since I didn't care for my knees aching all the time, I still squat but without a belt.

I can do heavy hip sleds, and not get the knee aches. If I go over 400lbs on squat, which is regularly, I get aches. I can go over 1000 lbs on the hip sled and not have any problems.

I do hope I'm calling it the right thing, what I call the hip sled is the leg press that moves upwards at a 45 deg angle. I do like the vertical leg press a LOT too. Unfortunately I sold mine 15 years or so ago, I did love that thing...

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was arms day, and the gym was unusually busy. Sometimes I wish I could be a D##K because people just don't think, they walk up and grab the dumbbells your are standing in front of, or take over the bench you were using when you go get a drink, etc.. Sometimes I tell them Hey, I've got 2 more sets or whatever, but other times I just do something else, or go higher in weight!

DB curls 40X10
60X10X2
55X10
50X10 (was supposed to be 55, see above rant)
Mach curls 75X10X2
CG Bench 135X10X2
185X10
225X10
275X5X2
225X10
Skull crush 125X10
150X10X2
Pushdowns 100X10X2
100X8X2 (from behind, over the head)

Sauna!!

Not a bad day, it was fairly good, I feel like I'm starting to get back into the groove. Hopefully Next week will prove me right.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh man, I hear you there! People can be such DA's, some think and will ask, such as me, but others do neither. I gets real maddening, and sometimes that's good, it drives me out of my comfort zone and makes me do things (heavier weights) than I had expected to do.

I need to find a partner, that way I keep a regular schedule, because I do feel obligated to him, and I can work the competitiveness of it. The thing is, older guys like us that lift, more than girlie weights, are not that common.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A partner at our age is huge. Someone to keep us on track and honest. If your partner is waiting on you because he needs a spot or liftoff, you will be there and vice versa. My partner tells me if I didn't lift with him, he's not sure he would lift anymore.

I plan to lift until I die. :thumb:
Amen to that!

I think if I decided to give it up my wife would be bothered at all, that makes it that much harder....you're a lucky man.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL, I can relate!

A fellow Marine, excellent!

I had a partner for 10+ years, I got married, he got married, wives got in the way, things change, and I've been a loner as well for the past 20+ years.. There's times it's good but more times where it's not imho.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well today wasn't so good, I felt good, thought it would be a good day, but it just wasn't there. Lucky for me it was a 80% or so day :(

Did my usual warm ups then :

I do Dumbbell curls, front raises, side lateral raises 2 X 10 for warming up the shoulders and arms, after some stretching, and twists.

Flat bench
135 X 10 X 2
225 X 10 X 3 (just a warm-up for inclines)

Incline Bench
225 X 10 X 3 (easy, felt good & smooth, but felt tired)

Inc Dumbbell's
80 X 10 X 3 pretty easy

Flat Db's
80 X 10 X 3 any flat bench work after inclines sucks

Pulldowns Wide Grip
150 X 10 X 2
175 X 10 X 2 ( just didn't feel it)

parallel Grip Pulldown's
175 X 10 X 3 (surprisingly easy)

No pump, not really getting into it so I hit the sauna.

It could be that I didn't eat all day, and basically did nothing, that's what I'm going to go with. I didn't eat well and definitely didn't drink enough. I've got to plan better..
On a positive note, I was sore and still pumped from the last workout so that was a success. I'm looking forward to being able to get back to a stable routine, next week will be my first week of my straight days position. No more days-nights flipping :thumb: I can get some consistency and get really strong now!
Going to do 300 on Incline bench next week, it's time to break that barrier and move on up, I want 315 by months end, 400 by April.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm curious, Jo. How wide is your bench grip?
I've never measured, but I go to ~1" inside the rings that are cut in the knurling, whatever width that is. When I do close grips I put my hands on the inside edge of the knurling, right up against the un-knurled portion of the bar. That's on a standard bar, I'm not sure if it's the same on a Texas Power Bar, I really like those bars, but they're to much for the average gym.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
You know, you're right, I hadn't thought of the movements I'm doing, I don't need more size, but I do like the strength side.

From time to time I toy with the idea of getting more defined, higher reps, less weight that sort of thing, but never seem to follow thru with it.

The heavy weights are like a drug to me, and it's hard to break that habit, especially, and I know it's an excuse, but when you lift alone it's hard.

Excellent analysis Belnik, I DO appreciate the thoughts and will adjust accordingly. It's good to have another set of eyes sometimes, thanks. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks for the message Jojo.........

Due to going to a night shift and having a tear in my right shoulder, I haven't been able to lift lately.

Keep up with the lifts. I'll get back into it before long and have my own stories to share. :)
I look forward to hearing from you, hopefully I'll have some good stuff by then!

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yes your right, right now I'm going thru a hodge poge of workouts, having done something quite different for some time now.

I had attempted to give up heavy weights, unsuccessfully, and during that time I had read that older people :)confused:) responded well to One heavy set per exercise. I tried it and it worked well for a while, I felt better, more energy, better attitude, and stronger. Then work got in the way and I was intermittent at best for a while and that knocked me for a loop. So once again I try to get re-started, only to have work/rotating shift knock me back again.

So, here I am trying to emerge from the chaos and get together a good program. I will most likely get away from lots of heavy sets, but I WILL do at least one or two heavy sets, on the power lifts, per week. If I can put it together and get some results, then I have a BIG goal in mind, but thats yet to be done, I have seen it in my mind, so it will happen....sometime.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You don't happen to have that info saved, or a link to it...about the one heavy lift? I'd like to read it if possible.
Ni sir I'm sorry I didn't, it was one of those long quiet nights at work, I was searching for ideas for men over 50 and came across that one. If I get a chance I'll try to see if I can find it again. It did work for several months, and possibly could still be working, if the routine hadn't been disrupted.

I agree, knowing when to stop something and change routines is the key, sometimes I know, sometimes I'm to caught up in the success of the current program that I don't see it for some time. As a general rule, for me, 4-6 months is the time for a change, and when building, increasing weight at a set progression, 6-8 weeks is the maximum before at least a one week deviation, then I'm good again.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Just got back from the gym about an hour ago, it started off not that good, a lot of pain in my right shoulder. Many years ago, I had a spotter, a guy I didn't really know that I asked to spot me (mistake) miss a spot on heavy (365lbs) inclines and it tweeked my right shoulder something terrible. I couldn't bench for almost a year, my doctor wanted to do surgery on my rotator cuff, but I said no and worked to strengthen my shoulder on my own. Anyway I think the pain I am getting is a remnant of that old injury. I started feeling pretty good then went to pot,.....and came back.

Chest & Back (supposed to be heavy)

Normal warm ups, dumbbell curls, shoulder work, twists and such.
Incline Bench
135X10X2
225X5X1
295X5 (one full, painful rep, and 4 half-three quarter reps)
225X7X1 ( I had resigned to a crap wo, and was trying to salvage something
at the end of this set my shoulder was starting to feel pretty good)
225X10X3 (with 3 sec pause, did the pause because I was leery about going heavier)
Incline dumbells
110X10X3 (felt like old times, light and smooth, thought about going up for a second or two, then felt the shoulder twinge and gave up that thought)

Back (which was wasted by this time)
pulldowns, wide grip
150X10X2
180X10X2
Wide parallel (still wish I had a narrower parallel bar)
180X10X2
Low pulls (I watch these since my back isn't the best, or even close)
150X10X2
180X10X1
210X10X1
225X10X1

Sauna!! :thumb:

I pounded inclines hard, once I came out of the slump. I didn't hit my goal, but I feel like I set myself up good for next week, I think I can blow past my short term goal.

I measured (?) my grip using my hand width, and came up with roughly 21" for flat competition bench, 12" for close grips, and 19" for Inclines, all those measurements are between index fingers.
Closer feels better on my shoulder on inclines. Strange, on flat bench my elbows feel good keeping them further out, on inclines they feel good back under.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I appreciate the advice, it's ALWAYS welcome! I did notice the tension on my wrists when I do that, but I had always thought it was just part of the game, now, when I think about it, it makes sense that we want to keep the elbows under the wrist for maximum tricep involvement, good call! :thumb: I'm going to adjust.....you're really in trouble now! :D:

I made an initial measurement on my hand width for straight wrists, and I come up at 16-17" Today is Arms/Shoulders day so I'll give it a try. :thumb:

I initially made my own equipment using an old Lincoln arc welder and metal I got from any yard I could find. Now there's place here called Metal by the Foot that makes is easier and more economical.

My pulldown used 4" I beam for the uprights, that sat on top of 6" channel that was also used for the seat, knee stop brace. Maybe some heavy duty pulleys attached to carriages on ceiling joists in the garage would work, I've been that route before. I made up a box carriage that I set my weights on and a simple guide with 2X4's to keep it reasonably straight, crude but it worked until I got my machine built.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Okay Arms/Shoulders day, the Arms side was g-o-o-d I guess, the Shoulders side was a victim of time, not enough of it (per my Wife).

Warm-ups, per normal routine, felt good.
Dumbbell curls :
60X10X3
65X4-60X3-55X3 (dropping set, started good but real tough by the 55's)
Seated curls
50X10X2 (tried to turn the pinkie finger out real hard, great flex)

Close grips : 17" grip (grip width was really comfortable :thumb:)
135X10X1
225X10X2
275X8X2 (shoulders hurt a bit, causing the elbows to come out)
245X10X2 (felt better, still some problem keeping the elbows in)
Somewhere along the way I've allowed my form to move towards elbows further out and now when I moved the back in it's a bit painful (that's probably why..)
Skull crushers with curl bar:
150X10X3 (w/cg's off the chest at the end of the set, felt good)
Pushdowns:
100X10X3 (loosing pump)
Seated military press:
135X10X2 (warm-up)
wife shows up, workout over :(

I'll have to make up some shoulders next time. Overall felt pretty good, I'll have to work it pretty danged hard if I have a hope of catching Flattop :D:

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Interesting thought Belink, I had never thought of "Split squats" but I can see how they would be good, especially on the back and imagine the grip work!

I may have to give those a try, my back would sure appreciate it!

Thank you. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 1459 Posts