Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 463 Posts

·
Author of Hitwoman
3,287 Posts
Good stuff, Jo! I agree in lifting with nothing more than my clothes, I'm no fan of lifting gimmicks. If it ain't me and the bar with nothing else helping, I didn't lift it. I do have admit though, I use a thick powerlifting belt when I squat and deadlift. A fractured L4 and L5 complain badly if I don't!

I will be looking forward to keeping up with your log! :thumb:

Reactions: jojo64155

·
Author of Hitwoman
3,287 Posts
I need to find a partner, that way I keep a regular schedule, because I do feel obligated to him, and I can work the competitiveness of it. The thing is, older guys like us that lift, more than girlie weights, are not that common.
A partner at our age is huge. Someone to keep us on track and honest. If your partner is waiting on you because he needs a spot or liftoff, you will be there and vice versa. My partner tells me if I didn't lift with him, he's not sure he would lift anymore.

I plan to lift until I die. :thumb:

·
Author of Hitwoman
3,287 Posts
I wisht I had a pulldown machine Jo. My lifting partner and I were talking about buying one, yet again, just last week. The problem is, we need something affordable, say, under $700 or so, but still a good robust machine. He bought a couple for his weight lifting class (he teaches HS weight training) and they were nothing like he was promised. We're kind of 'once bit, twice shy'.

If I may make a suggestion on your benches? 12" is too close. It just is. A grip that narrow is hard on your wrists and forces your elbows to flair, rather than be able to keep them under the bar.

When I was younger (and smaller, more narrow), I was able to use a 15" grip. Then a little bigger a little stronger and my thicker triceps and lats forced me out a bit wider, about 16". The same thing has happened again and now I'm moving outward from 17" a little bit, otherwise my lats and tri's force my elbows out closer to 45 degrees, rather than stay under the bar.

My $.02 worth, do with it what you will! :thumb:

·
Author of Hitwoman
3,287 Posts
Ab wheel
10X kneeling (love this thing)
Heh, neater'n a skeeters peter, isn't it! It was funny today, my abs were so sore from Monday's standing ab wheel, I was having trouble laying back on the bench! I had to grab my knees and roll back, otherwise my abs were screaming at me!

If I would have know 30 years ago what the Ab wheel was like, I'd have worn out a dozen by now!

Reactions: Eyes-open-now

·
Author of Hitwoman
3,287 Posts
There is almost always a way around an injury. Low backs are the worst but shoulders are a close second. I'm glad to see you found a way of relatively pain free lifting! There has been many times in the past when I had to drop the deadlift and rely on the squat only, other times I dropped the bench and focused on dips only or sometimes DB's only.

Standing reps with the ab wheel are brutal. Perhaps the most brutal exercise I've done. If you can stay with them and eventually move on a few standing, you'll know what I'm talking about. In the past I've literally feared my eyes would pop from my head, it is so demanding. I've even had to use a mouth guard because I started having problems with my jaw from doing them! :eek:

It took a few years of trial and errors before I figured out how to progress on them and once I did my first rep standing, it was Katy bar the door! But I can truthfully warn you, a standing rep is at least 100X more difficult than from the knees, perhaps more than that. But once you can do them, you'll find them to be the most beneficial movement you can do inside of a weight room, period.

Good work!

·
Author of Hitwoman
3,287 Posts
Declines are a natural feeling movement for me. Not sure why, but I'm pretty good at dips too, so perhaps its just pushing downward. Haven't done them for a dozen years with no where to do them.

A great workout, Jo! Way to get around the pain and sickness! Sure hope you don't catch what we fought around here for so long. :thumb:

·
Author of Hitwoman
3,287 Posts
Squat standard width, toes out
365X5X1
405X5X1
455X5X1
495X1 form sloppy
WOW! Four and a half bills for 5 and then nearly five bills for a single! :eek: Nice'un!

Tried rolling dumbbells (this is going to take time to get the hang of)
30X10
40X10X2
50X10X3 (didn't care for it, the only way I felt good was to bring the db's along side my head, and the bench is to narrow for that to be done really)
OK, here's the deal. They should be coming back along your head. I'm not sure what video you have saw, but let me explain how they are done properly.

Start by sitting on the end of your bench with the 'bells on your thighs. Kick back and lay with the bells extended at arms length. Bring the 'bells down like a close grip with elbows at your side, then roll them back past your ears until your elbows are pointing upward, then roll back to the bottom position DB bench, followed by pressing them up to lockout. That's one rep.

Then after your set is done, sit up with the 'bells resting on your thighs again, and make sure you're watching the second hand on the clock! At twelve seconds, kick back get started again!

Once you've performed them long enough, you'll get into a very nice rhythm. Right now I'm sure you're fighting them a bit, making them more difficult. My partner, though he's gotten better at them, still really hasn't mastered them. When I do them, it's almost like a smooth rocking chair, and apparently, looks very easy.

Just start light, take your time and you'll become comfortable soon enough! :thumb:

·
Author of Hitwoman
3,287 Posts
First, you're right, my form isn't as you describe, I was fighting it so to speak, looking for the right or best feeling track. I tried to mimic, more or less, nose breakers but with dumbbells, wrongoo. No brief pause, no lowering and then rocking back, and the list goes on..so let me get this straight.

They are done to failure? Brief 12 second pause.

What are the recommended rep/set counts?
They are NOT done to failure. You choose a weight that will allow you to finish, although it will always be difficult toward the end, no matter the weight.

Also, the only pause is when you sit up between sets. That is 12 seconds long. And ALWAYS sit up. If you're one who struggles with sitting up with DB's, as my partner is, you'll get better. You MUST sit up and you'll learn why when you get better and the weight becomes challenging! :D:

Sets/reps are generally 7 sets of 8 reps. As I mentioned before, I learned that I enjoyed 7x8, 6x10, 5x12 and then 4x15, even 3x20 before increasing in weight. Althought there are less sets with the higher reps, it is much more difficult with the higher reps.

the squats felt good, better than I had expected, but, as expected, I'm paying for it today. My glutes are killing me, even though I walked for a couple of miles later that evening. My knees are expected to follow, that's why I rarely do squats.
Heh, I kinda thought you might end up sore as heck! :D:

·
Author of Hitwoman
3,287 Posts
More water is almost always good, we all tend to be dehydrated. I went in for a biopsy a few years back and although I'd worked hard at making sure I wasn't dehydrated, I had been 'sloshing' hours, a blood test still showed I was still dehydrated. :confused::confused:

Loud music? Whatever floats your boat. I tend to lift with nothing but silence but my lifting partner can't lift without '70's stuff. I did find I cannot lift with classical music on! I noticed the one time I tried it, I was lifting super slow!:confused::D:

·
Author of Hitwoman
3,287 Posts
I drink a lot of coffee too. But each day when I first rise, after I go to the bathroom, I drink a large glass of water, then while my coffee is being made, I drink another large glass. Then it's pretty much coffee from then on until about 6 pm and I drink another glass of water. I've done it that way for 35 years. :D:

·
Author of Hitwoman
3,287 Posts
If your shoulder doesn't care for anything over 275, don't do anything heavier. Perhaps if you just work between 225 and 255-265, things will clear up inside and start to heal. I've learned, if I try to take time oft to heal, I tend to not heal very well if at all. I have to lift while I heal.

Just my $.02...:)

·
Author of Hitwoman
3,287 Posts
Be careful with the ab wheel, Jo. It can cause problems if you go too hard or too often. That is why you see me doing as little as possible, at one point I thought I'd torn every muscle off my pubic bone! Twice per week is just about right.

Great deal on the 225 for 60 total reps in the bench! Pain free is good! Keep working along and you'll get back into lifting shape when you least expect it.

1 - 20 of 463 Posts