Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I look forward to hearing about it, and like the idea of picking a lift and specializing in it, although I seem to get bored in a short amount of time, especially as I get older.

I also agree on your 'if you can't lift it in shorts..." theory, I never liked all the supporting gear. (But with temps where I am at 5F right now, and maybe in the 40's in the garage I was a bit more dressed today)

Oh, just speaking for myself, your comments are not diverting to my thread, I welcome them.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I have not had a training partner since my days in the Marines. I missed it for a long time, but I have grown into a lifting loner...The hard part is when training with my wife, I want her to exercise, and I want to help if she needs it...but historically there's like a 50/50 chance of getting into a fight.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
On a day when you don't eat good I think there is a very high chance of getting a lot of "strength bleed off" from too much work prior to the target lift.

Seems like you did 140 reps total pressing, and 70 reps for pulling. If it were me, I'd cut back on some presses and add some more pulling... 50 reps of warmups, 60 reps of target lift, then another 30 reps after? Looks more of a size program to me.

Even when I had the tools to bench or incline, I very seldom did it aside from Db work. Training alone always had me favor Db's over barbells for the bench. *But point being I sure am not as strong as you, so take this all with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I DO appreciate the thoughts and will adjust accordingly. It's good to have another set of eyes sometimes, thanks. :thumb:
If you had a few sets of DB flys in there it would have looked a lot like what I was doing for years!
When I dropped all but one movement, thats when I started to jump up fast in the weights.

I was stuck at 250 in the bench for more than a year... (weak and small I know!) When I dropped all the extra work, my bench (a bottom position bench with thick bar) went up to 300 in just months.

Your PR is way more, but I'm guessing theory may work the same for you?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
You don't happen to have that info saved, or a link to it...about the one heavy lift? I'd like to read it if possible.

In the past, 2 top, heavy sets (after warmup) were what I'd do for my compound lifts...worked great. Unfortunately when you change a program to something quite different than you have been doing, and get great results, you never really know if its the new program being better, or just the fact that there's a change of stimulus. (as I've had great results at times with different methods)

I've come to conclude its most often the "change" that counts. But I have also come to believe that you (well, I) have to work any program for enough time to build some sort of foundation with it, before making a change to another. The hard part is knowing how long...and I honestly don't know how to actually be sure of that part. Probably different for everybody, to a degree? I guess that's the "art" of lifting.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Some of us may use different words or names to describe the same thing, so posting pics is good.

The top picture is what I have always know as a hack squat machine (one of the designs anyway.) the bottom pic. is set up like the standard leg sled/leg press, of the two I favor the hack sq. machine...although I am not much into the machines.

They should never have used that female model for that machine, as she is not really fitting into it right, it looks like shes doing a crunch of some sort. Her head/neck should not be pushed forward.

Both pictures give an example of what I don't really like, if you imagine removing the machines, and orienting the models so they were standing, with a bar on their shoulders their form would not allow much weight to be lifted. The black guy is more in a trapbar DL position, if his arms moved. And honestly that's was the main reason I ever used a leg sled, for working as an accessory to the DL.

Back when I did more direct leg work i came to favor the "Bulgarian split squat" done with both barbell or dumbbells (I started with the DBs). using less total weight really helped my back, yet the overload on one leg at a time really added strength and size. I highly recommend split squats, there will be a learning curve, but I found it well worth it.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Interesting thought Belink, I had never thought of "Split squats" but I can see how they would be good, especially on the back and imagine the grip work!

I may have to give those a try, my back would sure appreciate it!

Thank you. :thumb:
I started doing them sort of as a one legged DL using Dbs and putting my rear leg on a bench. (I find the top of my foot on the bench works better then trying to have my toes bent on it) Working the lift with low reps and even singles starting w/bells on the ground. I played around with different forms, now when I do them they are far more "squat" like vs DL, and I get as deep into the stretch as I can.

i have not worked them much as of late, so when I started again I just did them without any weight at first getting the form back. (I'm still not doing them often as you can see in my log, but may just for fun.)

You have to play around with your stance, I found I start by standing up against the bench, and take a natural step forward with one foot, then raise the back foot up and its usually pretty close. I may have to hop a bit more "out" with the forward foot, but when doing it on a regular basis I "step" about perfectly every time. But it is one of those "not too far, not too close things"...

After doing them w/Dbs for a while, I started to push the weight more with a barbell. I did these in the cage, w/safety bars up to catch. It was a BIG difference using the barbell, balance is key!

Do your self a favor and work the form long and hard before working any weight. And certainly before you use a barbell on this. Balance is what fails first 99% of the time it seems.

Its a great exercise, I should get back into them...

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I'm foreseeing some new leg soreness coming up for you, go easy. When ever I don't run for a while I always feel a surprising amount of pain, add in some split squats to that and your going to feel it!

Its a shame about the shoulder, probably too much specialization too fast. I would not give up on it, just find an alternate route.

Do you do any face pulls? they tend to help balance out a lot of presses. And I don't know what to call them, but when in the pushup position or on hands and knees, swaying and rotating around at different push up heights has helped me in the past...used as a dynamic warmup/cool down.
Band pull-a-parts are another one I read about being good for the shoulders.

Worst case, back off, bring up the upper back, and triceps(if you can train them without pain), work some rehab exercises, and when you are ready again, a stronger back and triceps will just add to the mix in a great way.

Do you always work the same angle on the incline?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I figure there is little if any "info" I may have that you don't, but figure it can't hurt to throw out ideas.

For face pulls I never spent much time doing them from a pull down machine, meaning not with the pulley up high, but usually a low pulley to about level with my face. (i did them at an adjustable cable set up, had two stacks spaced about 8-10' apart. The pulley could be moved from down around ankle height to over head.) The lower setting felt better to me than the higher ones. (I also found the rope attachment favorable over "D" handles) Pulling to the face, focusing on a deep stretch, and pulling with the shoulder, not back. So less weight used then could be used, med reps.

I guess lacking such a set up you could try the low pulley with a seated cable row? Or if you get some bands you can put them anywhere on a power rack or at home.

If by chance you buy bands, make sure you're getting a set. I say this only because it was not clear when I bought mine, had to re order, pay shipping twice, etc.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Your slump has been going longer than you thought it would be? ...I say throw a monkey wrench into your system...do something way out of the ordinary as long as nothing is hurt.

For me, it sometimes helps to hit the "reset button" on my CNS, and different movements, for different reps than I'm used to tend to do it pretty well.

side note, even though its not the tool that counts but the craftsman, this is a pretty cool ab wheel (i just need to use it more!)

Amazon.com : Lifeline Power Wheel : Exercise Equipment : Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Some evenings I'll look back and realize the ONLY thing I had to drink all day is coffee...(i say this while I'm about to have another cup)...drinking more water, doing more ab work and changing my socks would probably go a long way for me.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
With the ab wheel my "standing reps" are certainly not real ones, I roll into an object, the wall or my sandbag. I have a pretty good idea how far back to stand, and then I adjust my feet back bit by bit till i either fail or know any more will drop me.

I'd say you had a nice workout, using the dips as an example...that last set, "100#X10X2" do you write that as 10 sets of 2 reps, or 10 reps for 2 sets?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I bet you have a lot of untapped potential for heavy dips. I don't often do many reps when its getting up to around 100#, prefer singles and doubles. (Which probably means I should do more med weight with med reps than I normally do.)

I have not been feeling all that good on the dips over the last few workouts I included them in, hopefully that will change soon.

Nice work all around.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Nothing wrong with that, I think breaks, whether a change in activity, complete rest, or a change in how an activity is done often hits the mental reset button. I also think, (based on my own feelings) that the CNS often "gets in a rut" and it needs a little shake up now and then.

The playing workouts don't seems to get measured the same way as our "normal" workouts, you just have fun, no lifts to miss, nothing to feel bad about.

A bit of time like will do the mind and body good.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts