Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1796 Posts

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are others that have their blogs, or accountability threads and such, I like to talk with them but sometimes I feel that I'm hijacking or diverting the thread.

So I'm going to start my own where I can talk rant etc. about my lifting and hopefully it will make me feel more accountable and keep me going.

I say, in the title, "RAW power" because it's MY BELIEF that if you can't lift it in shorts and a tee shirt then you can't lift it. That's the way I lift, and like I said it's my personal belief. I don't do steroids, and I gave up DHEA so nobody can say I do, which amazes me, but anyway. I do take a multi-vitamin pack daily, have for years, and use no pre-workout drinks and such. I'm trying to keep it as raw as possible without lifting nekid :eek:

So, for my opening... I'm off to a slow start this year, work and such has kept me away from the gym for the last month or so, and today, hopefully, will be my start back at some steady lifting.
From time to time I like to pick a particular lift and drive it up to previous, or record levels. That's tough for us older guys, but it is motivating and gives me a goal to work towards.

My lift for now will be Incline bench. My best ever, I was 28 then, was 425X2, so my goal now is 400X1. Last week I made my first, attempt at getting back and did an easy 275X5. I'm getting back to the gym today and will see where it goes.

I'm going to follow the traditional Chest/Back, Arms/Shoulders, Legs routine.

Sorry, forgot to add : I'm 56 years old, body weight of 240 lbs, 5' 10" and a 36" waist.
Body fat...I honestly have no idea, I can see some abs, but they're not sharp.

Any thoughts, ideas, etc., are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I look forward to hearing about it, and like the idea of picking a lift and specializing in it, although I seem to get bored in a short amount of time, especially as I get older.

I also agree on your 'if you can't lift it in shorts..." theory, I never liked all the supporting gear. (But with temps where I am at 5F right now, and maybe in the 40's in the garage I was a bit more dressed today)

Oh, just speaking for myself, your comments are not diverting to my thread, I welcome them.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made it in today, just got back, and it wasn't the day I wanted, but it was pretty much what I expected.

It went like this,

Flat bench 135X10X2 getting the joints warmed up and stretched out a bit.
225X10
275X10X3 This is a good maintenance weight, not taxing, but enough to feel
like i'm doing something.
Incline bench 225X10
275X5X2 not feeling strong today

Incline bench db's 100X10 tougher than it should have been, it felt 10# heavier on
my right side, must have something out in my back..
95X10 still not good, right side just isn't right
90X10 better but no cigar, maybe next time

Flat dumbbells 100X10X3 not bad, but I'm not feeling it today

Wide grip pulldowns 3X10 with wide grip, back felt good, but NOT strong
Wide Parallel grip 3X10 the parallel grip felt pretty good, I think a narrower
grip would have been better (18" vs ~24")

Abs and hit the sauna, love the sauna, I can't get much of a sweat built up the way they keep the gym. Personally I like the weights shaking from the music, and sweat dripping off of me between sets, that's motivation!

·
Author of Hitwoman
2,952 Posts
Good stuff, Jo! I agree in lifting with nothing more than my clothes, I'm no fan of lifting gimmicks. If it ain't me and the bar with nothing else helping, I didn't lift it. I do have admit though, I use a thick powerlifting belt when I squat and deadlift. A fractured L4 and L5 complain badly if I don't!

I will be looking forward to keeping up with your log! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to use one but got away from squats, heavy ones anyway, since I didn't care for my knees aching all the time, I still squat but without a belt.

I can do heavy hip sleds, and not get the knee aches. If I go over 400lbs on squat, which is regularly, I get aches. I can go over 1000 lbs on the hip sled and not have any problems.

I do hope I'm calling it the right thing, what I call the hip sled is the leg press that moves upwards at a 45 deg angle. I do like the vertical leg press a LOT too. Unfortunately I sold mine 15 years or so ago, I did love that thing...

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was arms day, and the gym was unusually busy. Sometimes I wish I could be a D##K because people just don't think, they walk up and grab the dumbbells your are standing in front of, or take over the bench you were using when you go get a drink, etc.. Sometimes I tell them Hey, I've got 2 more sets or whatever, but other times I just do something else, or go higher in weight!

DB curls 40X10
60X10X2
55X10
50X10 (was supposed to be 55, see above rant)
Mach curls 75X10X2
CG Bench 135X10X2
185X10
225X10
275X5X2
225X10
Skull crush 125X10
150X10X2
Pushdowns 100X10X2
100X8X2 (from behind, over the head)

Sauna!!

Not a bad day, it was fairly good, I feel like I'm starting to get back into the groove. Hopefully Next week will prove me right.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh man, I hear you there! People can be such DA's, some think and will ask, such as me, but others do neither. I gets real maddening, and sometimes that's good, it drives me out of my comfort zone and makes me do things (heavier weights) than I had expected to do.

I need to find a partner, that way I keep a regular schedule, because I do feel obligated to him, and I can work the competitiveness of it. The thing is, older guys like us that lift, more than girlie weights, are not that common.

·
Author of Hitwoman
2,952 Posts
I need to find a partner, that way I keep a regular schedule, because I do feel obligated to him, and I can work the competitiveness of it. The thing is, older guys like us that lift, more than girlie weights, are not that common.
A partner at our age is huge. Someone to keep us on track and honest. If your partner is waiting on you because he needs a spot or liftoff, you will be there and vice versa. My partner tells me if I didn't lift with him, he's not sure he would lift anymore.

I plan to lift until I die. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A partner at our age is huge. Someone to keep us on track and honest. If your partner is waiting on you because he needs a spot or liftoff, you will be there and vice versa. My partner tells me if I didn't lift with him, he's not sure he would lift anymore.

I plan to lift until I die. :thumb:
Amen to that!

I think if I decided to give it up my wife would be bothered at all, that makes it that much harder....you're a lucky man.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I have not had a training partner since my days in the Marines. I missed it for a long time, but I have grown into a lifting loner...The hard part is when training with my wife, I want her to exercise, and I want to help if she needs it...but historically there's like a 50/50 chance of getting into a fight.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL, I can relate!

A fellow Marine, excellent!

I had a partner for 10+ years, I got married, he got married, wives got in the way, things change, and I've been a loner as well for the past 20+ years.. There's times it's good but more times where it's not imho.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well today wasn't so good, I felt good, thought it would be a good day, but it just wasn't there. Lucky for me it was a 80% or so day :(

Did my usual warm ups then :

I do Dumbbell curls, front raises, side lateral raises 2 X 10 for warming up the shoulders and arms, after some stretching, and twists.

Flat bench
135 X 10 X 2
225 X 10 X 3 (just a warm-up for inclines)

Incline Bench
225 X 10 X 3 (easy, felt good & smooth, but felt tired)

Inc Dumbbell's
80 X 10 X 3 pretty easy

Flat Db's
80 X 10 X 3 any flat bench work after inclines sucks

Pulldowns Wide Grip
150 X 10 X 2
175 X 10 X 2 ( just didn't feel it)

parallel Grip Pulldown's
175 X 10 X 3 (surprisingly easy)

No pump, not really getting into it so I hit the sauna.

It could be that I didn't eat all day, and basically did nothing, that's what I'm going to go with. I didn't eat well and definitely didn't drink enough. I've got to plan better..
On a positive note, I was sore and still pumped from the last workout so that was a success. I'm looking forward to being able to get back to a stable routine, next week will be my first week of my straight days position. No more days-nights flipping :thumb: I can get some consistency and get really strong now!
Going to do 300 on Incline bench next week, it's time to break that barrier and move on up, I want 315 by months end, 400 by April.

1 - 20 of 1796 Posts