Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a year and a half since my wife and I started our small backyard rabbit stud. It has had plenty of success and a few failures. We started with dutch rabbits, 2 does and a buck. Then added Lops, and then New Zealand Whites.
We have had great luck with the dutch's, they are great breeders and have good temperments. Most of our kits are sold as show/breeding stock, bringing in between $30-$60 each, but have sold one for $150. We have added new bloodlines to get improved show stock, and now have a large waiting list of people who want our stock.[can't keep up with demand]
The Lops were added to try and get into the pet side of things, put results have been very poor. We have found them to be bad breeders, and when we do get a litter, the kits are not looked after, and are rejected 9 times out of ten by the does.
We bought the New Zealands for our own table, as the dutch's are worth to much to cull. We have had mixed results so far, they average about one litter every three months, and so far we loose about half a litter from the time they are born till cull time. They are ok mothers, but sometimes their size is a disadvantage.[stepping on kits]
From now on, we have decided to get rid of our Lops and New Zealanders, an just increase our dutch numbers.
Feel free to look up our rabbit stud on face book, Rolling Hills Rabbit Stud.
Hope this helps anyone thats thinking of getting into rabbits, or are into them.
If you have any questions, feel free to drop us a line. Cheers!:)

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
I have a mean half Dutch one, and I read about the good tempered Dutch. This one is mean and makes mean babies as well...

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
Nice, dood!

My wife and I bought three unproven new zealand does and an unproven new zealand buck, all 2 months old, to try and start breeding up some meat for the table.

We free range them, and we had one doe who insisted on getting outside of her pen. Fox got her. The rest of the little cuties should be ready to breed around the beginning of November. The buck is already hovering around their backsides.

I'm getting more and more information from independent sources like yourself that say %50 litter loss is the norm! I'll keep that in mind! Thanks! :thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts