Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i put some potatoes in a brown bag a few months ago and put them ontop of my TV to stay warm. Well they sprouted in a few weeks and then i cut them and planted them. WELL, i didn't expect them to grow because the grown wasn't that good and i didn't have anything to fertilize with (little money) since my compost pile isn't good for planting yet. But they came up!! I have four plants that are sprouting and what i think is garlic since i just put in 2 cloves and cant remember where i put them. I think im going to get a nice fertilizer from walmart and maybe some peppers from the nursery a few miles away. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to get? Its a small 8x8 patch but stuff has grown in that spot before about 5 years ago. Thanks in advance :D:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Congrats on the potatos.Just keep them hilled & they should do fine. We dont fertilize our potatos, never have & they have produced quite well. If you like tomatoes a couple of plants will give you a decent bunch of tomatoes. Or plant a little mixed leaf lettuce.
Good luck on your gardening.

·
I have control issues
5,978 Posts
Congrats on the potatoes! As far as the ground not being "good", potatoes are a WONDERFUL crop to plant when you need to break up hard-packed or clay soils. Their roots are very good at breaking up the soil, and will make it easier to plant subsequent crops. Just don't plant beans/peas where you just had potatoes...there is apparently an enzyme or something in potatoes that will inhibit the growth of your legumes. But, if you practice good crop rotation practices, you shouldn't have a problem. Just follow up potatoes with something else (like corn, squash, cucumbers, etc.) and then do legumes later. Aso, don't plant tomatoes or other "nightshade" vegetables where you just had potatoes, as they are susceptable to the same diseases (like blight); although some people DO plant an eggplant or two near potatoes as a "trap crop" for Colorado Potato Beetle. (they'll "hit" the eggplant and leave the potatoes alone.)

·
Forum Administrator
16,781 Posts
For the potatoes, use some fertilizer like 13-13-13, or some 10-20-10.

When your looking at the numbers on fertilizer:

first number - large leaf production, tall stalks - think of something like corn.

second number - root production - think potatoes

third number - pod production - think peas, beans, okra

Fertilizers like 10-10-10 and 13-13-13 are well rounded fertilizers suitable for all kinds of stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts