Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a huge following for assault and military weapons on this site so I would like to offer a somewhat different strategy.
Guns
I own several weapons but If I could only have three here they are. A Ruger Super Blackhawk .44, Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun with a Leopould 1.5 x 5, and MOST important a tack driving .22 (Remington 511).
Consider the logic... IF you are in a situation where you have to get to the wilderness to escape the masses. The 45-70 is a hunting weapon in the military eye. My .44 mag is a single action revolver. The .22 is a single shot. All are inocous as far as guns go.
Now from another standpoint. I use a handload in the 45-70 capable of taking grizzly with athority. This caliber is overlooked as an antique. GOOD. With the hard cast rounds at 2100FPS and a 500gr flatnose I can fire through two full grown hogs at 75 yards with bone crushing ease. The bullet was never found. I you are in a gang trying to assualt me and your buds head explodes will you continue or run?
I can quietly remove a threat from 100 yards with the 22. My weapon holds 1.5" groups at 100 yards shooting prone with iron sights. If you want to learn how to move quietly and blend in with your environment hunt squrilles take on the personal challange of no more than 10 yards.
The 44 mag is a fine deer and hog caliber. It has also been known to slow down a baddie or two in it's day also.
There are people scoffing as I type but for a hand loader these are great considering I cast my own bullets and have stock piled powder. The .22LR is cheap to buy 10000 rounds.
I chose these because I can walk to my BOL and hide on 50000+ acres with ease. I have to leave the woods only 4 times for road crossings. It's a good 10 mile treck as the crow flies. In short I can claim hunter to any cavilians. My goal is to blend and hide if at all possible in a bug out situation.

·
Squawker
145 Posts
A 44 mag can certainly ruin someone's whole day! A little slow on follow up shots, but if you hit them, then the follow up is probably not going to be needed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't go for a single shot or SA. But I do think you've got a pretty slick strategy going with stuff that doesn't scream "wacko extremist" when someone sees you. I think a lot of people have gone for the assault style stuff just it looks bad ass(which can get you in trouble). Besides, ever go squirrel hunting with an AK-47?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Nice read, and nothing wrong with your choices if they are what your comfortable with, and obviously you are.

Alot of your logic seems based around getting to your BOL, which certainly is a very important issue, however, once that is accomplished the fire arms you choose are the fire arms you have with you from then on out, unless you stock some up at your BOL. Hopefully you do, but you didnt mention it.

People spend alot of time worried about sneaking by people to get to their BOL, and for good reason, but once that is done, its done, and then for the next no-telling how many years your out there living out of your BOL. And if you do ever need to make a trip into what ever is left of town, you wouldnt be bringing all of those anyways.

There are other ways to make sure you get to your BOL safely without altering the choices you make to decide what fire arms you want to bring with you.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
There is nothing wrong with going a bit more civilian. I myself have decided to just go with everyday looking guns instead of worrying baout have an ak or ar and 20k rounds for it.

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
Being a .44 and 45-70 fan for years I think your choices are good ones. The .22 goes without saying. But I have to comment on your loading bench. How do you keep it so neat and clean or did you straighten up before the pictures were taken?

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
i dont know about the 45-70 never had 1 so never looked into it, how common of a round is it? i think i would rather have a 30.06 or a .308 at least you might beable to resupply. and if the SHTF who cares if the the gov/sheep are scared their reaction will be the same no matter what weapon you have if they see you with a weapon. most sheep know nothing about weapons, all the know is your armed:eek:. and the gov dont care they just want you disarmed no matter what you got.:whip:

personally, i would just have a pistol to get to my BOL, and hopefully beable to drive to it and not have to walk :D: and with a pistol you have less chance of attracting attention if i do have to walk.but that is assumeing that you have a cabin or such with a stash of goods at your BOL. a 10 mile walk really isnt that bad specially if its 95% in the woods shouldnt take but a day. we would run 10 mile runs in 4-6hrs (cant remember )back in the army but that was on a road. have you tried to walk it to see how long it will take? carring the load you plan on carring?then do it under the cover of night so youll know your nighttime bearrings :thumb:

but to each his own :thumb:

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
I think for the most part you have a good battery. But I would rethink the single action revolver. Just from the aspect of defense. I would think having a double action and some speed loaders would be better. For the reloading a single action under fire is difficult at best. Another thought is how about aquiring a Ruger Redhawk in .45 Long Colt for it can be loaded past .44 Mag power levels when hand loaded, plus one can share componets between the hand gun and the rifle.

Or being you live where only black bears are an issue how bout exchanging the .45-70 for a .44 Magnum levergun. For with heavy loads you can take anything on the continent Especially when it's shot out of the rifle.

Or and this it the least likable Idea is to get both a Lever and revolver in .45 Long Colt for the greater power (especially if you get the Rossi 1892) than .44 Mag and real close to your favorite .45-70, but you can enjoy the commonality between the pistol and rifle.

Ethier way even if you end up sticking with what you got, I like you train of thought of Grizzly Adams instead of Rambo.

Rifleman 336

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't go for a single shot or SA. But I do think you've got a pretty slick strategy going with stuff that doesn't scream "wacko extremist" when someone sees you. I think a lot of people have gone for the assault style stuff just it looks bad ass(which can get you in trouble). Besides, ever go squirrel hunting with an AK-47?
Ditto on the Single action- I'd want a double action. Ditton on the Military Grade Arms. Most military gun I own is a Lee-Enfield #4MKI.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Gotta agree with 336 (and thisain't the first time...) that matching your levergun and handgun ammo makes sense, especially since 44 mag is capable of doing everything you are talking about, I would think.

Aslo ditto on the single action. Next time you are shooting, try to do a quick reload and see how efficeint you are at it... maybe run a few hundred yards first to put some "stress" on yourself at least physically.

I do agree that having "non threatening" firearms as part of your strategy makes good sense.
John

·
One decade later...
221 Posts
I would take a 12 guage pump action, with hollowpoint slugs, and #6 shot.

I would also take a .22 lr for sure, because they are just a necessity when it

comes to survival. My last chance would probably be my .270, so I can hit

deer that I couldn't reach with the slugs from shotgun.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
The military/cops look at ANY gun as a gun...

And besides... someone at 300 yards with an SKS would have VERY little trouble 'dealing' with you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am a big fan of the 45/70, and lever actions in general. I have seen a 45/70 turn an 800 # bull elk sideways. But it seems like your strategy relies mainly on staying hidden. What if that were not possible? Or what if you had to stand your ground and defend your BOL? If you were to get into a gun fight I think you would be out gunned pretty easily. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
True I can be out gunned in an instant given my weapon choices. However IF things were to degrade to a point where I am faced with being forcibly disarmed one of two things will happen. I might die. Or that lowly little buck 119 I have carried for years will cause me to be suddenly better armed to deal with a protracted gun fight. I don't hunt deer from a tree stand for a reason. I am quite capable of walking within 20 yards of a spooky little whitetail in a thicket. I feel confident in my ability to quietly remove a zombies firearm and gear in the early morning predawn hours. Even the most alert human is no match for a whitetails senses. I firmly follow the thought that you should be able to clearly win a fight before it is undertaken. The scenario you seem to suggest is that the officials have decided to abandon the Constitution or read it incorrectly. I fear that this would be their downfall. I do not take my freedoms lightly. Nor do I believe we won our current freedoms without cost. If my life is the price, then perhaps I can help preserve America (as it was intended) for our children.

Oh and I always keep my reloading bench like that. Seems to help move things along faster if everything is neat.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well thought out strategy IMO, Mark. There are many proponents of the ideas that you have to have the farthest reaching, most accurate, most knockdown power, most ammo capacity, etc... and I guess all those have a place.

However, it sounds as if you have developed your tactics to fit your weapons of choice... which is what we all need to do, regardless of what your weapon and yourself are capable of. Even if I have a M2 50 cal... I better have the right battle plan or it is going to do me exactly jack $hit...

Lastly, I commend your spirit and your independent thought.

Well done,

John

·
Registered
458 Posts
If I had to think of a trio, just off the top of my head I'd probably make it a 12 gauge pump or double: a .22 rifle, bolt or lever or pump are all good choices: and a DA .357.

For a quartet, I'd add a .357 lever rifle to the above.

Jim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts