Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i had to go in the woods and only bring one gun it would have to be my remmy 700 sps in .270. i really like the .270. what would you bring and what do you think of the .270.

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
For a trip in the woods of TN I would bring my 30-30 as the woods are pretty close. I would not prefer this for long term but you were just asking about a walk weren't you?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Tget stag arms 7. In 6.8 caliber it is very accurate with low kick but plenty of knock down power under 400 hundred yards. Mine has a vortex viper 4x16 - 44. And is plenty of scope to make longer shots. But I chose the stag 7 because it is very accurate right out of the box. And the trigger is great also. Not a hard pulling trigger such as my ruger or bushmaster ar's have. My wife loves shooting it. And it uses the same size bullet as our 270. So when the government restricts the ar caliber of bullets the 6.8 could be over looked. I am currently looking for more brass for the 6.8. Any idea's?

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
If I had to go live in the woods or other rural environment, I would probably want a 30-06 or a 308. Probably a little easier to get ammo for, plus a bit more versatile if you reload.

I really like the 270, though. Mine is an ancient Sako, built on an FN Mauser action back in the early 1950's. It is beat up, but still drives tacks. I would take it along if I had room.

·
Author of Hitwoman
3,034 Posts
if i had to go in the woods and only bring one gun it would have to be my remmy 700 sps in .270. i really like the .270.
Good!

what would you bring
I am in the woods nearly every day because it's 100' from my front door and extends outward about 25 miles before I hit a paved road. Everyday I carry a 20" Marlin Cowboy in .44.

and what do you think of the .270.
I bugled in my FIL's 50th bull elk he killed with a M70 in .270, as he did with the previous 49. What do you think I think of the .270? :D:

·
OTP Rebel
997 Posts
.270 is OK for hunting.
556 is weak for protection as the 762 x 51 certainly has more range and power.
a 300 round load out of 556 is lighter than 270 or 762x51
For me a G19 with 5 mags,spare ammo & a 20" 556 pencil barreled A2 upper with 10 mags and spare ammo.
I may even have room for food.

22lr is even lighter

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
.270 is 10x too powerful for small game, unless you carry some "cat sneeze" loads for it. Unfortunately there's very few bullets or even moulds that cast a suitable bullet for the .270 Much easier if you choose .30 caliber, or my personal choice, Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. All kinds of .38/.357 bullets work. A hollow-base wadcutter at 800 fps is a good squirrel/grouse/rabbit getter, and is almost silent. (My old Dad taught me that. I now have his Marlin, and carry on the tradition.)

·
Classical Musician
3,998 Posts
Use what gun you're comfortable with. If you love the .270 and are good with it and you hate an AR and aren't good with it, you'll live longer with the .270. My primary weapon is currently a scoped bolt action.

·
Registered
11,420 Posts
it has the same problem every other center fire bolt rifle has

slow rate of fire
low capacity
heavy ammo

it is a great round

but for survival I think other would do better

1 - 20 of 71 Posts