Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to start a grove of Pecan trees on my new ranch in the western ozark mtns. Planted them from stratified nuts two years ago. First summer I had about a 85% germination rate.

When I have gotten back a checked on them from time to time I found the little surveyor flags pulled up and many of the trees missing. I grew up planting corn and soybeans, so I don't have a lot of experience growing pecans. I just figured they had gotten eaten by the wild life or something.

I was back there last week and found many of these trees are now about a foot tall and still leafed out. Close as I can figure, they were dropping their leaves during the dry part of the summer. Without there leaves a tiny pecan looks just like a stick. Since this year was wet, I can now find them. I think I will have to replace the little flags with metal fence posts.

The 60 or so trees I have remaining would feed a whole army of survivors when the mature and start producing in another 5-6 years.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bunny, I have acres of oak and hickory trees still coming up from the roots as well. I selected the biggest ones and brush hog the rest once a year. I don't think I will need to buy any firewood the rest of my life.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.