Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to start a grove of Pecan trees on my new ranch in the western ozark mtns. Planted them from stratified nuts two years ago. First summer I had about a 85% germination rate.

When I have gotten back a checked on them from time to time I found the little surveyor flags pulled up and many of the trees missing. I grew up planting corn and soybeans, so I don't have a lot of experience growing pecans. I just figured they had gotten eaten by the wild life or something.

I was back there last week and found many of these trees are now about a foot tall and still leafed out. Close as I can figure, they were dropping their leaves during the dry part of the summer. Without there leaves a tiny pecan looks just like a stick. Since this year was wet, I can now find them. I think I will have to replace the little flags with metal fence posts.

The 60 or so trees I have remaining would feed a whole army of survivors when the mature and start producing in another 5-6 years.

·
Super Duper Moderator. I'm helping!
9,767 Posts
Once pecan trees get established it is nigh on impossible to kill them. We have several in our neighborhood. My house had two in the backyard. Had them taken out ten years ago and I am STILL dealing with suckers from root pieces every spring. :xeye:

Seems like every couple of years or so we have a bumper crop of pecans in the neighborhood. There is a grove of pecan trees down on a property by the lake near here. Those trees look like they have been there forever, though. The owner has his grove fenced off and has llama and sheep grazing on it except when the pecans are ripe.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bunny, I have acres of oak and hickory trees still coming up from the roots as well. I selected the biggest ones and brush hog the rest once a year. I don't think I will need to buy any firewood the rest of my life.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.