Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
HI All & Sarge

Yes that would be the same as my version one, but my second version is somewhat more sophisticated...

I needed to get to version 1 to see if it worked in principal, before paying for version 2

There are a lot of different ways to skin this particular cat, this one is cheap, light, not space hungry and transferable to another car (second car – daily commute EC)

Where I see a bigger potential is for the “gentler” sex... To be able to quickly get going to a place of safety, then get help.

Here, it is definitely not safe to be stuck on the side of the road – especially for the “gentler” sex....

You might bear in mind that here, culturally, woman “belong” to a man, and everything that goes with that

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
FYI: I have my grandpa's "flat fix" - a LONG hose, with a threaded adapter to fit a spark plug hole on one end, and a threaded adapter (do you don't have to HOLD the 'air' hose to the valve stem) on the other......

·
Apprentice Geezer
2,473 Posts
Using "air in the spare" is a very old idea (most of the people that I knew who tried it were less than satisfied, long term).
if the spare is the same size as the road tire the air inside is only enough to inflate it from flat to half pressure (because you have twice the volume when they are connected)...
After inflation you now have 2 half inflated tires (or less if there is a leak in the device)... Another problem is that some tires unseat from the rim when they go all the way flat; trying to reseat them while the tire is still on the vehicle and on the ground is often an exercise in futility. and could easily result in no air in the spare rendering it useless.
...so what are you going to do if the flat dies on the way to the tire shop?
Some in the old tyme off road community tried running the spare at twice the pressure to partially reinflate 2 tires after airing down again a less than satisfactory plan...
Most in the off road community (where dropping the pressure in the tires for increased traction is very common; have found that a portable, high pressure, gas tank (Typically CO2, or nitrogen) with regulator or a small, portable, air compresser is the better solution.
A few still haul an antique "chuffer" spark plug adapter along (mostly to amaze the younger folks)...

Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
I had a VW Beetle once that powered the windshield washer
with air pressure from the spare tire. There was a limiter valve
to prevent the spare from going absolute flat.
In the 70s had an airbrush for hobby painting. The kit included an adapter that would screw on to a valve stem and could then use a spare tire as an air source. Creative idea though the air had to of dubious quality for painting.

·
SBs Resident Non Prepper
7,527 Posts
I keep my spare tire for my truck...and the spares for my trailer...inflated
I don’t think it’s a good ideal to sacrifice the air pressure in any of my spares to try to air up a flat tire.... you just might end up with 2 flat tires 👍

Carry a high quality air compressor and air up your tires. Just my 2 cents

·
SBs Resident Non Prepper
7,527 Posts
Make sure you test your air compressor as well.... don’t just buy it from Amazon ..toss in the trunk and when you really need it....you find that it doesn’t work worth a damn

Go someplace that has air..... deflate one of your tires...then test your compressor
My compressor shown above will inflate my 265-70-17 truck tire in 4 minutes
From flat 👍

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Morning all....
Remember, I mentioned that the one in th pic was the first version, I took the design this far to se the complications, and mostly to see if it would seat the tyre on the bead----- A kind of dexperimental version.

My second version negates the problem of equalising the pressure by having a "T" piece and a gate valve in line. The "T" piece allows me to couple the tyre pump to it and the gate valve allows me to control which tyre I'm fully inflating----- The spare or the flat.

Bear in mind, the spare is the resavoir, but a little extra from each of the other three tyres can also be gleaned.... A LOT of people carry 2 spares.
Dumping from the spare allowws you to seat the tyre on the bead---- There is enough volume to create the initial seal --- That was the engineering exercise of the first version --- Once beyond that question, the rest was worth the expense...

RGDS

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,895 Posts
Carry a spare tire and learn how to use it.
They sell battery operated impact wrenches now. Not much excuse why a woman can't change a tire.
If crime is bad, carry a gun while you change it.

Carry an aluminum air tank. Way better off. 110 psig will do a better job and not leave you with a flat spare.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hi Just me....
Not the wisest suggestion

For many reasons, here in SA? you don't want to be carrying ..... Even more so you don't want to be using....
Not if you dont want to be immediatly incarcerated by "reverse racist police, out to deal with you as a "whitie" and slapped with a murder charge irrespective of circumstances....
Different country different perspective...

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,895 Posts
Hi Just me....
Not the wisest suggestion

For many reasons, here in SA? you don't want to be carrying ..... Even more so you don't want to be using....
Not if you dont want to be immediatly incarcerated by "reverse racist police, out to deal with you as a "whitie" and slapped with a murder charge irrespective of circumstances....
Different country different perspective...
I used to work with some people who fled South Africa and came to our company in NJ.
A little 55 yr old lady who I thought would be anti gun told me she drove everywhere in SA with a loaded AK47 in the back of her vehicle.
That was 20 yrs ago approx, so maybe things have changed. That was the first I had ever even heard of a "home invasion".

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Morning Just me..

Thanks for the post...........

So a slight self-post hi-jack --- I don't want to get into the current state of affairs here in SA on this post, but just shortly, It is illegal to own a fully auto lethal weapon here.
Home invasions are commonplace --- Almost invarably accompanied with the most gruesume tourturing --- you can go google farm murders in SA --- It's no exageration.

Here when they attack you it's not one <or> two-on-one, it's 5 / 6 on one. ---- even attacks in broad daylight in the car parks of shopping centre's are multi - person attacks - It's known that you cannot deal with that many in one attack, even if armed.

But just to put a can on this post, I mentioned that I was mandated to document a training program for our workers - go see post "something to think about" under th thread finances - well here is the security component : - <Text copy-paste>

It’s about your life and valuables that you have worked long and hard to get
It’s about your friends life and valuables that they have worked long and hard to get
It’s everybody’s responsibility
They usually go for everybody’s personal belongings like cell phones / wallets / watches / jewellery / laptops, things that can be sold quickly.
They have a set pattern that they usually execute:

Get access to the premises quickly

They have already identified the company as a target, they know how many people are there, and they probably already know how the building looks like inside

Violently intimidate (shoot or beat up) workers into doing what they say
They have no worry to shoot, stab or beat up somebody. Most times that somebody is the first person that they get where they come in, and that could be you.

Get away quickly.
It usually takes no more than 5 – 10 minutes

They usually operate out of 3 or more vehicles.
At least one vehicle stay’s outside and makes sure nobody disturbs the robbery

When they are finished, they get into at least 2 other cars and drive off in different directions

FOUR SURVIVAL RULES. LEARN THEM THEY MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE

NUMBER 4

MINIMISE YOUR RISK
Leave your valuable stuff at home and don’t carry much money on you. You don’t need it at work. It does not help leaving that stuff in your locker, they raid the change rooms.

NUMBER 3

DON’T TALK ABOUT SECURITY THINGS WITH OTHER PEOPLE AT HOME OR ANYWHERE. KEEP INFORMATION TO YOURSELF.
Once you have said something you have no control over what happens to the information. The person who you spoke to might be trustworthy, but who they in turn speak to may not be trustworthy.

NUMBER 2
KEEP ALL THE FACTORY GATES AND DOORS CLOSED & LOCKED AS MUCH AS POSSABLE.
Criminals patrol the streets all the time. They are looking for opportunities. If they notice that our gates are unlocked or open, they will begin to see the company as a potential target

The company instruction is: - If you see the gate has been left open, you go and close it. Then discuss it with who left it open, or bring it to the attention of someone.

NUMBER 1

IF IT HAPPENS DO NOT CONFRONT OR ENGAGE WITH ANY OF THEM.

Remember there are more than one, and you have no control over any of the other’s so overpowering one is of no use, you could get yourself killed or very badly beaten up.

Do exactly what they tell you to do.
Do not fight back, even if they assault you..
Do not stare directly at them - look away.
Do not argue with them.
Do not try and put your hand in your pocket! - They see this as a top-level threat. They think you are armed / have a secrete panic alarm and will immediately react and possibly shoot you.

Do nothing to delay them. - You might get killed

So this component is 5 slides of a PP presentation with graphics and the usual, but you get the gist of it..... IF THAT"S what has to be part of a general worker's work training programme, That kinda says it all....

One other thing... They are usually utterly goofed..... Or "hyped up" having gone to the traditional medicine doctor (witchdoctor if you will) who has given them "muti" (medicine that's concocted from herbs ETC) that makes them immune to bullets, that when the "enemy" (white people) shoots at them, water comes out the barrel............. And they 100 % believe that.....

OK enough of that, it is what it is, what you fellas have there is not what we have here.... We have to deal with things differently, as contrary as it may seem...

As part of prepping & the fact that I travel solo I'm comosing a post regards my self defence multiplier's ETC, I'm keen to get input on that, I hope it's not going to de-generate into "get a gun" type of response...

REGARDS

21 - 34 of 34 Posts