Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this device, I thought out, developed and had made.

Unfortunately I’ve lost the pictures of the second and final model of it, but here is the original.

What this device allows me to do is to use the air in the spare wheel <donor wheel> to inflate any of the other tyres, that may have gone flat quickly.

Granted, it will only inflate until the pressure in the donor tyre and the receiving tyre is equal, but that should be around the 2Bar level, enough to move to a place of safety.

This would work very nicely with tyre seal <aftr mostly inflating, use tyre seal, drive off and the wheel will turn allowing the tyre seal to do it’s work

BUT: - It ALSO enables me to seat the bead after a stripdown – I’m not a fan of the lighter-fuel method

HOW THIS WORKS

Keep the spare at +- 1Bar over spec <3 to 3.5 Bar>

If you are stopped in a dangerous place you can quickly inflate the flat tyre and move to a safer spot – get to a garage – service station.

With ONLY Tyre seal, you still have to Jack, put the tyre seal in and spin the wheel to get the goo to go to the hole – here you just inflate.

If you are safe and able to repair, even if you have to remove the tyre off the rim this device will enable you to re-seat the tyre over the bead.

You can’t seat the tyre over the bead from a tyre pump, because the VOLUME of air does not facilitate an initial seal to allow pressure build up.

The “inflate-a-flat” provides sufficient VOLUME for this to happen

The second <and final version> has 2 extra features: - An in-line gate valve and a T piece where the tyre pump can be connected.

The gate valve eliminates loss of pressure while connecting and the T piece, with the tyre pump attached enables you to re-inflate the donor tyre and bring the receiving tyre up to full pressure.

VERSION 1

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI BrianWorf
Had a discussion with them what knows... I don’t have the financial depth to achieve it, and I can’t look to “patent pending” while the product generates a sufficiently robust income, SA is a tiddly market in comparison to what you guys have over the big pond.

Me? Just chuffed I thought it all up, made it and it works:cool:

But thanks for the vote of confidence...

·
Business Owner
2,580 Posts
HI BrianWorf
Had a discussion with them what knows... I don’t have the financial depth to achieve it, and I can’t look to “patent pending” while the product generates a sufficiently robust income, SA is a tiddly market in comparison to what you guys have over the big pond.

Me? Just chuffed I thought it all up, made it and it works:cool:

But thanks for the vote of confidence...
True enough on the $$$ required for a patent. I am in the works on getting one myself. Fortunately, my attorney is also in need of my services and is very well into bartering services for services.
I usually keep my spare over-inflated a bit to make up for any slow leaks.

·
Survivor
16,523 Posts
If the flat tire can hold the air being donated, why is it flat?

Seems like an extremely limited use item.
Good point but there are occasions that it could be useful. I was airing down my tires in the snow once (clip-on tire chuck) and got sidetracked helping someone else, when I got back to my truck, the tire was pretty low. I hooked up the transfer hose and brought it back up to the required 5 PSI and still had enough air left to air back up to 15 before driving home.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Lot of farmers around here used that setup in the 70's - early 80's, we used both ends that threaded onto valve stem,thanks for posting I'd forgotten all about that setup,it was handy at times for airing up a tire on piece of equipment to get you by awhile,as equipment got bigger the tires also got bigger so I dont think I've seen one of those setups since early 80's still a great idea that can get you out of a jam

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,895 Posts
The trouble is, it removes the option of using your spare.
Also, removing the spare from either of my vehicles to get at the air valve is almost as much work as changing the tire.
And the Honda Spare is a compact spare. That thing would not give a regular tire much air.

Lots of portable air compressor options.
I like the Ryobi one that uses their big One+ battery, because you set the pressure and walk away. Also no cords to plug in and mess with.
I also carry at least 1 normal 12V cig lighter plug air compressor. And the Truck has an aluminum air tank with 110 psi in it all the time.

·
statists' be statin'
3,425 Posts
Patent law had a major re-write since I tried to patent something. But, I think you now have 12 months to file for a patent since you have publicly disclosed the invention here. In 12 months from today it becomes public domain. And...if anyone here wants to patent it first, the US changed to a first-to-file patent system instead of the older first-to-invent system.

I do like the idea.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,895 Posts
Patent law had a major re-write since I tried to patent something. But, I think you now have 12 months to file for a patent since you have publicly disclosed the invention here. In 12 months from today it becomes public domain. And...if anyone here wants to patent it first, the US changed to a first-to-file patent system instead of the older first-to-invent system.

I do like the idea.
The patent atty told me he can file a provisional patent with about 30 minutes work. This then protects you and starts the clock, giving you a year to submit the detailed patent application.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
what ever happened to the idea of a converted Freon bottle that you aired up and carried around with you? My dad had a couple of those he used to air up lawn mower and boat trailer tires with so he could move them around to the garage and either repair them or most of the time just air them all the way back up. IIRC you can buy those already made.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
LOL...

I had someone slash the sidewall of my tractor tire, it was $500 for a new one and I just couldn't swing it but I needed to use my tractor. I opened the hole up and poured the five foot tall tire full of oats as I had just bought four tons and still had some sitting loose in my dump truck. I then topped it off with water and welded up a metal plate 3 inches longer and wider than the slash with two bolts welded in place the threads sticking out one side. I then added some old inner tube rubber on the plate and got it inside the tire and then slipped a plate with a rubber pad on it over the bolts sticking out and bolted it down tight.

I was hoping the metal pieces and bolts would hold some amount of air pressure but no such luck. But I did find that if I parked with the metal plate down the fermentation in the tire aired it up every night... I ran that like that using it daily for several months until I could afford a new tire...

My God you should have smelled that when I broke that tire down to clean it all out, it smelled like ale... Talk about a mess to clean out of that tire though...

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Scuba tank with the proper regulator. Set at 50 psi,doesn't mean you have to fill it to 50 psi but the tank will last a long time.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts