Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm relatively new here, but I thought I would detail my journey into NFA goodness for any of you who may be interested but were put off by the lengthy legal requirements.

A little background on me first, I have been into guns and shooting as far back as I can remember. I bought my first AR in 2006, a cheap, at the time, $800 dpms stock AR-15 with the A2 style carrying handle.

Since then I have built multiple ARs from the ground up. Recently I decided I would build an AR in 300 Blackout.

Now the ballistics of the 300blk aren't that great compared to other battle rifle calibers, and the ballistics of the subsonic round are similar to a .45 ACP. However, pair that subsonic round with a suppressor and you have a close combat rifle that is whisper quiet.

So I started my build with the intentions of getting a tax stamp for a suppressor, so I figured why the heck not opt for another tax stamp and make this rifle a Short Barreled Rifle.

The very first thing I did was create an NFA trust because it makes the entire process a lot easier. And Mrs. Slokey can legally own the suppressor/rifle as well. More on creating NFA trusts here: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/11/26/setting-nfa-gun-trust/

After I completed my trust and got it notarized I could hardly contain my excitement. I was one step closer to legally owning my suppressor I had always dreamed of.

After doing a lot of research I decided to buy the SilencerCo Omega suppressor. This suppressor was built for suppressing 300 blk, but it can also suppress 5.56-300 win mag! It can either directly thread on your barrel, or you can swap out your flash suppressors to the SilencerCo ASR muzzle brakes for the quick attach/detach feature.

I went down to my local class 3 dealer and "purchased" my suppressor last weekend. $940 later I left the store with a piece of paper saying I had purchased my can. Now I have to wait 4-8 weeks for my can to arrive at my local gun shop. Once it arrives I have to fill out my ATF form 4 and mail it into the ATF along with 2 copies of my NFA Trust and a check for $200. After sending the form off I can expect another 4-6 month wait before I can physically own my suppressor.

For the rifle itself I decided to go with Aero Precision's 10" Upper receiver, and I also purchased a standard AR15 lower receiver. *LEGAL DISCLAIMER you can legally own a Short Barreled upper receiver as long as you do not mount it on a lower receiver. If you do not have your Tax stamp from the ATF and you mount a lower receiver to your SBR you have run afoul of the law.

My lower showed up this weekend and I E-Filed my ATF form 1 for short barreled rifle tax stamp. All I needed was an electronic version of my trust to upload on the ATFs website: https://www.atfonline.gov/
The actual Form 1 E-form was pretty self explanatory, and they take credit cards so the whole process is extremely expedited.

I also have ordered a bunch of magpul gear to swap out existing pieces on the rifle with some enhancements.

In the last few months I have gone from clueless on these NFA laws to having a decent understanding of how everything works, so feel free to ask any questions. I think the whole process is a joke, and is a hindrance that shouldn't even exist in the first place, but that's a topic for another thread.

I will post up some pictures later today of my rifle as it sits right now. I feel like a kid on Christmas eve, thanks for taking the journey with me!

Slokey

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. I'm about to start a gun trust and purchase some NFA items as well. The process, once known, is relatively simple though time consuming. I'm looking for to getting this started. Please post pictures once you have it built and setup.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
This is something that has been on my wish list forever...just never have started the process due to the "extra hassle". I'm sure if I ever do it I'll really kick myself for waiting so long.

So thanks for posting, its of interest to many I'd bet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for sharing this. I'm about to start a gun trust and purchase some NFA items as well. The process, once known, is relatively simple though time consuming. I'm looking for to getting this started. Please post pictures once you have it built and setup.
No problem, I will definitely get some pictures up. My local arts and crafts store is laser etching my trust on my lower right now, I'll post pictures of that tonight hopefully.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
The depth of laser might not be enough. Be sure you know the correct depth of engraving and that they can do it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Picture time

All in pieces:

Upper:

Upper/Lower next to a 16" non SBR upper for comarison:

Laser Engraving:

Yeah Txprep, the depth at first wasn't quite .003" so they ran it through the laser a few more times. Now it's sitting at .005". I highly doubt the ATF is going to come by with a micrometer to check, but if he does, I'm good to go.

The lady did a really good job on the engraving... the best part was she charged me $3.50!!!

Now all I have left to do on this build is swap out the Compensator for the ASR Muzzle Brake, slap on some Optics (I have flip up Iron Sights on the way) attach a small angled grip. Still undecided on what kind of Optic I want.

I'm going to have to space all that stuff waaaaaaaay out, because I'm looking at least a 2 month wait on my SBR stamp, and 4-6 months on my Can.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Very nice! I really don't know what I'm waiting for to do this. :confused: Care to share the details on what parts you have? I see an Aero Precisoin lower and what looks like an upper. The can is mentioned in your OP.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are correct Outlier, Aero Precision Upper and Lower. I have never had anything but quality from Aero. Starting from the back I have a magpul CTR stock, standard carbine spring, tube, and buffer. I ordered a heavy buffer before I read that 300 Blk suppressed rounds typically don't get along with a heavier buffer.

Magpul ASAP rear plate for mounting a sling. I wrapped it in hockey stick tape because the metal on metal was ungodly loud lol. Magpul MOE pistol grip, and a magpul enhanced trigger guard. I also have the Magpul MBUS flip up sights on the way, and finally a Seekins precision angled grip, that is also on the way.

Now all of these things of course are niceties that I could do without, but I really like the CTR stock, the MOE grip fits my hand perfect, and the enhanced trigger guard is nice for life up north when you wear heavy gloves 9 months out of the year :D

The only real regret so far is the magpul ASAP sling plate. I'm thinking if the hockey tape wears off with minimal use I will disassemble it and plasti dip it. Just way too noisy for my liking.

·
Shill for the Federal Gov
517 Posts
Thank you for the info!

One question, not trying to be a downer, just really want to know because I want to do the same thing,

Is having the short upper and not having either an nfa or pistol lower constructive intent?

I probably have an irrational fear of constructive intent. Hell, I probably have an irrational fear of all gubmint kinda stuff.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I mean, if they really want to get technical they could take it to court, but why would I bother submitting my Form 1 to the ATF if I was going to construct a gun illegally?

Plus when you submit the form 1 you have to have a serial number to put on the form, technically you can make your own, but I'm just using the SN already on my lower.

Edit: plus when you mate the upper and lower it leaves noticeable scratches on both receivers, no scratches on mine.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Yeah Txprep, the depth at first wasn't quite .003" so they ran it through the laser a few more times. Now it's sitting at .005". I highly doubt the ATF is going to come by with a micrometer to check, but if he does, I'm good to go.

Correct, the ATF does not go around checking the height and depth of characters in the engraving. Some people really need to chill out and get a life. All they are concerned with is that you paid the $200 tax. BTW nice shorty.:thumb:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the lower was pre manufactured (that is, you didn't mill it out), you don't have to engrave it. This information keeps getting put out there even though it's patently false.

You use the original manufacturer, their serial number and their address for the Form 1.

https://www.guntrustguru.com/will-i-need-to-engrave-firearms-assigned-to-my-gun-trust.html
Thanks for the info, a little late for me, I got the engraving done up already. But it only ran me $3.50, so you can't go wrong :thumb:

Thanks Mike! I figure as long as I have paid the tax and wait for my stamp nothing will come of it. Literally hundreds of thousands of SBRs are in existence. I'm sure some people that have them have no clue there even is a law governing it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thank you for the info!

One question, not trying to be a downer, just really want to know because I want to do the same thing,

Is having the short upper and not having either an nfa or pistol lower constructive intent?

I probably have an irrational fear of constructive intent. Hell, I probably have an irrational fear of all gubmint kinda stuff.
If it were an issue I assume Congress/ATF would mandate that they be sent to an FFL like any other FFL or NFA item. I've wondered the same before, but since you can order the SBR upper and have it sent to your house, it's up to integrity and honesty to do it the right way. Besides, it's not worth the risk of being caught and not having the right paperwork/tax stamp.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
If the lower is an "other", I'd build it out as a pistol first, and assemble and use it that way till I got the stamp. Just sayin...

It'd allow you to try out the barrel & other parts and make sure things worked..

Some would argue that having the stock and lower already built- ready to throw together- with a sub 16 inch upper might constitute constructive intent. After all, you did submit the paperwork to build it as such. Me, I'd build it first and use it as a pistol while awaiting the paperwork..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not a lawyer, but I imagine any one worth their salt could get a "Constructive Intent" charge thrown out immediately...

I have a hacksaw and a shotgun in my house, by the ATF's logic I have constructive intent to make a short barreled shotgun. I do see your point about trying my rifle out though, I will just wait patiently :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts