Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
This site Sucks
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a new trailer the other day to convert into a camping / bugout / expedition rig. I was looking into purchasing one of the Adventure trailers , but to get what i wanted it was gonna be almost $14k. So, i was driving down the road the other day and found this old military pioneer trailer with a for sale sign on it, so i stopped and checked it out. The trailer was in great shape, no rust thru, solid, park brakes worked and all. I called the guy and he was asking $400 for it and with a little haggling i got it and the pintle hitch for $350.
My plans are to put a small kitchen area on the right side of it, a 40 gal water tank under the counter space attatched to a small hand pump sink like the ones in popup campers, the other side of the wall in front will hold my tools such as an axe, shovel, hi lift jack, and a stanley Fubar tool. the rear area will be able to hold my tent and shelter along with coolers and extra supplies. I will mount 2 propane cylinders on the tongue of the trailer like a camper has to run the coleman stove, and i will add a couple deep cycle batteries inside to run some 12v lights and add a small inverter. On the top i plan on making a rack that can haul a canoe or 2. The trailer isn't as big as the pics make it look, the box itself is only about 4 1/2 ft wide, and 8 ft long. It tows perfect behind my F-150 and doesn't stick out past the sides of my truck. My plan is to see what my options are on finding a spare wheel, or converting the hubs or axle so i can use a standard truck wheel ( possibly one that matches my F-150 ). here are a couple of pics ...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Any idea what it weighs?

Edited:

Great deal. This is what they are going for on other sites. Yours is a little heavy for me but the 1960's versions are not to bad at 650lbs and still cheaper than the adventure trailers. Restored and repainted they would make an excellent BOT.

·
This site Sucks
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i looked at that site, the one i got was $1650 :eek:

i woulda got one from the auction, but by the time i registered, paid the buyers fee and then the cost of the trailer, then traveled to get it, i woulda had double that in it.

·
This site Sucks
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think its necessary to hold the top, especially since the weight of the doors is all on the top. But that wall is gonna be an itegral part of my modification anyway.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Seems as if you could remove the wall, and take some pieces of metal square tubing and reinforce the top, and build a skeleton around the front and back going down the bottom on each side and it would be really solid, maybe more so than it is now.

If it only have a six lug I would totally think about getting one.

·
Sky Soldier
338 Posts
Nice Score!
The park service where I live has one just like that and I've been drooling over. They lefted it open all winter. That style would suit me perfectly.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts