1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Liberty or Death
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
937 Posts
Very nice looking Mauser and an early date very nice. Mitchales Mauser's is a very good place to deal with and if buying a Mauser really the only place to go to. Keep us posted on the range report.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
One thing you need to remember is to not try to "Customize" this gun. You have a very nice piece and you need to leave it in the condition it is in now. If you want a scope buy a modern rifle. this is a great collectable and shoots like a dream. The 8MM Mauser round is a great one. Have a good time with the gun and clean it after you shoot it. Much of the surplus ammo is corrosive. The Turkish and Yugo stuff especially corrosive.

·
"Et si omnes ego non"
246 Posts
One thing you need to remember is to not try to "Customize" this gun. You have a very nice piece and you need to leave it in the condition it is in now. If you want a scope buy a modern rifle. this is a great collectable and shoots like a dream. The 8MM Mauser round is a great one. Have a good time with the gun and clean it after you shoot it. Much of the surplus ammo is corrosive. The Turkish and Yugo stuff especially corrosive.
especially the scope part. DO NOT DRILL AND TAP!!!!!

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Is it the original 7,92 or the 7,62?
The early ones are the best. Later models can have lesser metal alloys in them and wear sooner. I have had both a 1939 and a 1944 model. On the 44 model you could clearly see that germany was in big trouble. Some of the parts seemed to have been made in a hurry and the metal was not of top quality. Didn't shoot as well either.

original Mausers are cheap here though.. Only $50-70.

·
Part Terminator
499 Posts
Have a good time with the gun and clean it after you shoot it. Much of the surplus ammo is corrosive. The Turkish and Yugo stuff especially corrosive.
One thing I have done is to bring Windex with me. After you are done shooting for the day, run at list 3 or 4 patches with Windex on them. Use original only, ( 50/50 water and Ammonium) It brakes down the Corrosive salt in the primer and wipes away.. Then one or two patches of Gun Oil for G/P. Then clean when you can..:thumb:

Trust ME trying to clean it without the 50/50 (Water and Ammonium) is a real pain.

Very Nice K98!! BTW Is that the original Cleaning Rod or a copy?

·
Liberty or Death
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it the original 7,92 or the 7,62?
The early ones are the best. Later models can have lesser metal alloys in them and wear sooner. I have had both a 1939 and a 1944 model. On the 44 model you could clearly see that germany was in big trouble. Some of the parts seemed to have been made in a hurry and the metal was not of top quality. Didn't shoot as well either.

original Mausers are cheap here though.. Only $50-70.
Its 7,92 and it was made in 1938(if only it could talk).

·
Liberty or Death
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One thing I have done is to bring Windex with me. After you are done shooting for the day, run at list 3 or 4 patches with Windex on them. Use original only, ( 50/50 water and Ammonium) It brakes down the Corrosive salt in the primer and wipes away.. Then one or two patches of Gun Oil for G/P. Then clean when you can..:thumb:

Trust ME trying to clean it without the 50/50 (Water and Ammonium) is a real pain.

I think the cleaning rod is an original.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
I have one made in 1938 as well, although it doesn't look as nice as yours.

I have some ammo for it but honestly Ive never even shot it yet.

·
Registered
171 Posts

windex you dont say i always used the good old soap and water on my rifles i will have to try the windex approach.

i got a 1944 mauser its chech made but all german parts. shoots like a dream i love it and wouldnt trade it for the world. keep her clean and oiled and it will last a life time.

·
Registered
647 Posts
That is one "NICE" 98. I absolutely love those old rifles. I have a Chech VZ-24 ,its the best shooting rifle I own. Your gonna enjoy it, and the windex idea works great, I can attest to that.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
A fine rifle! Enjoy it. AIMSURPLUS.com is advertising some 8mm steel cased ammo at a good price. I'm not familiar with it, but I'd try some. Availability and shipping is somewhat 'iffy since the election though. I agree with the poster than warned against drilling the reciever for a scope. I saw first hand what may happen. The pressure (PSI) from this round is tremendous. A guy drilled into the chamber to add a scope mount.. the screw blew out of the receiver, striking him in the face. No bad injury, but he was lucky, missed his eyes. A great rifle.. piece of history you have there!

·
Liberty or Death
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just got 80 rounds for it and I'm going to the range tomarrow. I'll tell you guys how well it performes tomarrow.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Wengo,you can go threw www.aimsurplus.com and get a 340rnd spam can of 8mm on stripper clips for $100.00.if you get any,remember that its corrosive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts