Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took the plunge and bought a Husqvarna 440 from Lowes. I also bought the extended warranty.

Previous thread - Going from stihl to husqvarna

My family has been mainly been stihl users for 20+ years. After hurricane Rita my brother bought a Husqvarna for cleanup. As far as I know he has had no complaints. So when it came time to replace my old Stihl Woodsboss I decided to go with Husqvarna.

Specs:

Cylinder displacement 40.9 cc
Power output 2.4 hp
18 inch bar

First impressions:

I knew the engine was a little small, but for this price point you get what you pay for. There are other Husqvarna models with larger engines, but none in the price range I was looking at.

The Husqvarna 440 will be used around the farm for cutting small - medium sized trees. Mainly oak, sweet gum, and other trees up to maybe 24 inches across.

Starting the first time was straight forward. The saw took was maybe 3 - 4 pulls and fired right up.

First job was to cut some cherry laurel trees my grandmother had planted several years ago. The laurels are starting to take over shading out grass and other trees I want to grow. Even though my grandmother planted them, all of the laurel trees are being cut down. The Husqvarna 440 did well cutting through the cherry laurel trees that were maybe up to 10 inches across at the base.

Next job will be to cut down some small 4 - 6 inch sweet gum and oak trees that are growing up along a fence row.

Second impressions:

Used my new Husqvarna 440 this evening to cut down a dying pecan tree, the 40.9 cc left a lot to be desired. There were times when the saw bogged down to the point where it could not cut the tree.

If I were to buy the saw again I could upgrade to a larger model.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I bought a 240 for light work, it's only been about 6 months but so far we like it.

I still have my old Homelite(SXL-AO) with a 20" bar for big stuff but it was just getting too heavy for limbing and trail clearing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.