Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
I just bought my first ALICE pack and it has me running around like a young man who just lost his virginity. For those of you who know I am preping for my first camping trip in years. We are due to head out in 10 days and I am already packing what gear we have for it and making list that I have checked so many times already that the ink is rubbing off the paper. However I have not gotten to actually use my new ALICE pack yet, I am overly confident that it will serve all of my needs for this trip plus many many more. Its purchase can be accredited to a mans name whom I dont know from youtube.com who did reviews on it and went through his gear which tought me a lot. That man was a member of this website, which in turn got me to become a member of this website. I wish I knew that mans screename on here so that I could thank him for his knowledge as well as inspiring me to get back into camping and the outdoors more than I was. Thanks pal.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Congrats. I snagged me a medium alice pack last year and tested it out for about 4 days. It served its purpose but it was mildly uncomfortable. Maybe the way I packed it. I got a promotion at work and passed a few exams in which they reimbursed my money back to me so I purchased an Osprey Argon 85 liter pack for an week long survival study next summer.

Have fun on your trip I love camping and hiking!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Congrats. I snagged me a medium alice pack last year and tested it out for about 4 days. It served its purpose but it was mildly uncomfortable. Maybe the way I packed it. I got a promotion at work and passed a few exams in which they reimbursed my money back to me so I purchased an Osprey Argon 85 liter pack for an week long survival study next summer.

Have fun on your trip I love camping and hiking!

nice grats on the new pack!!! thats a hella pack.you should be overly happy

·
Deeds of Flesh
45 Posts
Hey Everyone,
I just bought my first ALICE pack and it has me running around like a young man who just lost his virginity. For those of you who know I am preping for my first camping trip in years. We are due to head out in 10 days and I am already packing what gear we have for it and making list that I have checked so many times already that the ink is rubbing off the paper. However I have not gotten to actually use my new ALICE pack yet, I am overly confident that it will serve all of my needs for this trip plus many many more. Its purchase can be accredited to a mans name whom I dont know from youtube.com who did reviews on it and went through his gear which tought me a lot. That man was a member of this website, which in turn got me to become a member of this website. I wish I knew that mans screename on here so that I could thank him for his knowledge as well as inspiring me to get back into camping and the outdoors more than I was. Thanks pal.
Pictures please! I would like to see those Youtube vids if you remember his name, cause I am also looking for a pack.
Edit: Did you go with the Med or Large? Does anyone know how many Cubic inches the Med and Large are?

·
Slayer of Sacred Cows
588 Posts
Good luck with it I hope you are one of those people it fits.

It is a pretty rugged pack if it works out for you.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the works fellas. It has kidney pads and all. As far as the size and all im not really sure. I actually even asked that question to a guy who worked there and he said he was not sure but he loves his. So with his word and the guy on youtube I purcahsed. And Im in love with it, even though I have not used it yet lol. Speaking of youtube, just type in survivalistboards in the search area and he will pop up. I will be sure and take lots of pics of our camping trip and post them. OK, so can someone tell me how I would post them on this website? lol. Goodnight fellas.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Ahh, the ALICE pack. It brings back many memories of my college days when I was in the Army ROTC and first introduced to it. It was carried on many field training exercises. During the summer when I had to turn in my gear in I bought my own and have had it for the past decade. While it can be a bit uncomfortable, the pack often settled into a comfortable spot after the first mile or so. There are plenty of upgrades available for it, available through Tactical Tailor and High Speed Gear Incorporated. I bought an HSGI Alipad for my medium ALICE not too long ago and love it. While a bit pricey at $85, it was well worth the cost. The comfort factor increased greatly. Sadly, though, the ALICE has begun sitting on the shelf more often than not. I primarily use Kelty packs for every day carry / get home bag and a bug out bag due to their civilian appearance. But that is not to say the ALICE still does not get a good workout every so often. Though I use far more comfortable (and expensive!) packs, the medium ALICE is still my favorite.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
great packs -- only one problem with them -- room.

as in there is a lot of it -- choose your load carefully and go on a test walk or three before ya hit tha woods.

Reactions: joes

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Yes, if you plan to do more than 20 miles, you need to extend the frame, or buy load bearing belts and suspenders to serve as a hip belt. That's why alice has a kidney pad and civilian packs have hip pads. The difference in pad location between an external frame civvie pack and an alive is almost 8 inches. Do a google search for "alice frame modification" for directions to creating a supurb external frame pack. Otherwise, get lbe.

·
Good To Go
71 Posts
Re: Alice Pack

I bought a medium Alice pack (with frame) a few years ago, used it as a bugout bag and for 1-2 day overnight
trips.

The straps left a lot to be desired and the so-called improved strap sets were not much better.

I liked the design of the pack and the govt. built it stout,
so I decided to put it on a better frame. Cabelas sells an
nice aluminum frame with excellent straps, pads, etc.

The Alice attaches OK although the frame is wider than
the top pocket of the pack.

I removed some of the length of the frame above the
shoulder straps. Once attached, there is enough room
below the Alice to attach a bedroll, MSS carrier, or a buttpack.

This arrangement is now my main rig for less than 100 bucks. Mounted on a good support system the Alice will
take you anywhere.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The ALICE is awesome, but it needs a better belt if you plan to live out of it for more then a weekend. Tactical Taylor makes many improvements http://www.tacticaltailor.com/ruckmods.aspx and the super belt should be your first consideration. Remember the pack is designed to ride on your waist not your shoulders. Enjoy your ruck you should get many years of use from it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I modded my ALICE with quick release straps for the big top pocket and one across my breast to keep the shoulder straps from going lateral. I might add another pocket as I maxed its size (Medium). The aftermarket straps are good but aren't there some much, much softer. I have a commercial pack with softer straps and I like it for long hikes. But there's something about that sturdy old ALICE.

The medium size tends to bow my back as it has no frame. Is there any way to avoid the need for a frame? If not, who has an excellent aftermarket frame?
Thanks
KT

1 - 20 of 20 Posts