Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Life, Liberty,& Happiness
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.survivalistboards.com/album.php?albumid=1564&pictureid=23522

This is my new heavy duty bike, I've been riding it several miles a day to work and back, and also spending some time at the park climbing over things.

The bike is a Redline MX24 frame, with a heavy duty set of crank arms, super heavy duty petals, and a sprocket that is over 1/4" thick. Back brakes are some sort of Promax that lock up right now, and the front suspension is off of a full frame unknown mountian bike however it dampens shock like a pro. When my petals are even horozontally I have approx 12" of clearance from the ground.

This bike could trail ride and rock crawl with the best of them I'm sure, and I plan on using it as a BOV if necessary.

I love this bike as is but the front fork has a disc brake mount and I am not sure what to do about it. I dont generally need a front brake for casual riding/light transportation but how valuable would the front disc brake be for trails, rock crawling, or bugging out of zombie town if needed?

Anyone recommend any sites to researh building bikes, customizing, or where to find quality parts at a reasonable price? I'm kinda new to owning a good bike, I've always had crappy superstore specials.

·
First in line for lunch !
117 Posts
Nobody needs brakes going uphill.

Coming down is another issue entirely...:eek:

I'd suggest you get one. :thumb:

You riding a fixed gear ? I didn't see a derailer (sp?) on the rear hub.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nobody needs brakes going uphill.

Coming down is another issue entirely...:eek:

I'd suggest you get one. :thumb:

You riding a fixed gear ? I didn't see a derailer (sp?) on the rear hub.
yes its a fixed gear, this is what I got until I can afford a Cannondale, Trek, Diamondback, or Redline 29'er.

I'd kinda like to have a nice bigger bike to.

·
117 Posts
Fixed gear has it's advantages. Fewer parts to break, better control at low speeds and you'll have a natural spin on the flats that'll let you eat mile after mile.

I used to ride one when I was younger.

Seriously re-think the front brake. When your thighs start burning from trying to control your speed on an extended down hill you'll appreciate the stopping power of a front disc.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasnt not thinking about a front brake, it has a spot for one, I want to fill that spot.

I'm just not very sure of what all goes into it, no bike shop local, i'm new to the bike game, and the net can hurt as much as it can help.

I'm considering cost vs ability vs advantages, looking basically for more info from the expierenced bike gurus.

·
117 Posts
Aha.

You'll need a front hub with a disc, can you lace a wheel ?

You'll also need a caliper, cable and lever for your dominant hand. There's both cable acutated and hydraulic versions available. I've got the cabled discs on my rockhopper and they can haul my 250lb butt to a halt pretty quick.

Since you're cobbeling bikes together from parts it's likely you understand why the front brake needs to be controlled by your dominant hand, Right ?

(For those who don't...Its because your dominant hand is stronger and the front brake provides most of the stopping power. Its' usually controlled from the right side lever because most people are right handed. When I set up a bike for a leftie I put the control lever for the front brake on the left side. Which, BTY may be why your rear beake is locking up so easily.)

If you've never laced a wheel I'd suggest you pick up a copy of The Bicycle Wheel, by Jobst Brandt. The Bicycle Wheel, by Jobst Brandt. It'd very informative and in addition to showing you how to lace a wheel several ways it'll explain in detail the physics involved during braking and cornering.

Don't know why that link came out the way it did but you'll get the point.
Best wishes. Try Bike Nashbar for parts. I'm not connected to them got a lot of my gear from them back in the 90's.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the Info, and being a SouthPaw I have always preferred the front brake on my left.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts