Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
aka Mental Avenger
4,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my new bugout vehicle. It is tougher than my Bronco and will haul more. It is a 1991 Ford F250, ¾ ton, 4x4, FI 460 CDI, dual tanks, new load range E tires. This is a strong, heavy duty pickup and should be able to take a lot of abuse offroad.

The topper is only temporary, put together with a couple car hoods to keep the snow out for now. Later, I will build a full cab-over box for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Looks like it'll do the job properly once the topper and what not are on.
I wish I could find some of these here in NZ for ok prices. There way over priced here.

Keep us updated with the build as it comes along

·
aka Mental Avenger
4,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found this truck on the local swap site. I got it for $300 because it wouldn’t back up. I paid a mechanic $400 to put a good transfer case in it. $700 total. It is an XLT Lariat, and is fully loaded for its day.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Even though I own a F350 I'm not really a Ford guru. Does that have the BW1356 or the NP208 t case? I have owned a 4x4 since before I had a license to drive and I have never busted a T Case.

I have heard the BW1356 is stronger than the NP205. I built a Jeep with a LT1 350 350T with a doubler kit using the front half of a NP203 and a NP205. I would say the weak link is the 350T.
We busted quite a few Dana 44 front axles in that jeep before we ran out of junk yard spares and upgraded to 2.5 tons.
I wasn't afraid to abuse that jeep. This pic was after I rolled it.

This was right after we put the rockwells under it. Still has the same drivetrain. It did snap a rear output housing on the 205. We upgraded it to a larger spline output shaft and appropriate housing. I cant find an action pic on my phone.

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
I've got a 95 F250, but two wheel drive. 460, auto, about 111000 miles. The drive line is very stout and they are cheap to fix if anything goes wrong. A lot of underhood parts are shared with the 302/351. Good vehicles. Horrible gas mileage.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I looked at a 97 f250 2wd guy wanted $1,500. In my interest i looked at a 4x4 conversion. Looks like there is not much difference in the frames down to holes already in the correct spot to bolt on stock brackets.
Im thinking when my 37's are bald Im going to swap my leaf spring front to an 05 and up suspension and get the larger Dana 60 probably go with 4.56 or 4.88 gears. Hopefully these new tires last me a few years...

·
Registered
33 Posts
With 99% plus of all vehicles permanently ruined by EMP in a serious SHTF event,
have you guys thought about a post Armageddon SALVAGE vehicle??? One to go out
on the highways and retrieve cargoes stranded on the interstate highways to be long
term survival supplies for your family or a group of families??

Ideally it would be diesel without any electronics....and be big enough to have a fifth
wheel to latch onto 43 to 53 foot cargo trailers.....and pull them to a central depot
where you can hand out the goodies to your people.

A mil surplus 5 ton tractor truck from the 70s would fill the bill, I think.

Tell me what you think. You'd need an onboard 12 or 24 volt DC pump to pull diesel
out of underground storage tanks at truck stops or fuel jobbers yards. The diesel will still be good for a few years after a nuclear/emp strike wipes out the USA.

WestTexasDesertRat

·
Registered
37 Posts
your truck

Perfect start, I put 6 in pvc pipe under it as air storage for an underhood compressor, worked well, no rust, can handle 34-psi, you can hook small tools to it, ect. works nice. you can skina deer with air, at least part way anyhow. I had an old 3/4 burb, I had that thing tricked out big time for hunting/survival. Road side processing, winches, a crane, welding, you name it I had it.

·
Registered
789 Posts
6in pvc fittings are expensive. Trust me. I would go with a nice aluminum air tank with pex line and fittings. Easier to repair on the go. And can handle 125 psi easily.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts