Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Swift Justice = 2950fps
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found myself needing a new and different rifle. My attitude has always been “shoot long range or go home”. I had open heart surgery recently and realized that I can’t shoot long range for a couple of months. The recoil of a 300 win mag would probably make my guts fall out. So to keep shooting, I purchased a bolt action “Savage 17wsm b-mag”....adjustable trigger, Tupperware stock and stainless heavy barrel. I equipped it with a bipod and a 3x9x57 scope. It has changed my mind about “ fun at the range”. At 200 yards, it’s an absolute tack driver (provided there’s no crosswind). I now have a different attitude about going to the range and I’m sure this rifle will be going along long after I’m able to shoot long range again.

Anyone else shooting 17wsm?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
No 17s, sorry. I do have a couple of 22 hornets which are nice out to 150 yards, maybe more but, I switch to a 223 or 22-250 for longer range. have fun and enjoy your rifle. I'm going through ground squirrel withdrawals right now. got to get out and do some shooting

·
Banned
4,841 Posts
`

A few years back my dad got a .17HMR & brought it here to sight it in. It was pretty accurate, but I just didn't see the point, he already has accurate 22WMR & 22LR's not to mention a triple deuce that's an absolute tack driver. The bullet is so dang light on the 17's other than very small varmits at limited ranges it's not going to be too useful, I don't think any more useful than a 22LR or 22WMR. As a plinker 22LR is much cheaper & just as fun. I know it didn't kick, but really neither do any of the other small varmint calibers he's got. I guess if a surgery meant it was shooting a 17 caliber or nothing to help healing, then yeah, I'd probably run out & buy a 17 then too. :)

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
17HMR and 17WSM are two different cartridges! I don't have any experience with the WSM but my brother has the HMR, has killed a lot of critters with it and it is surprisingly effective and accurate. Anything coyote sized or smaller don't move much after a hit and it keeps the pelts in excellent condition as well.

·
Banned
4,841 Posts
17HMR and 17WSM are two different cartridges! I don't have any experience with the WSM but my brother has the HMR, has killed a lot of critters with it and it is surprisingly effective and accurate. Anything coyote sized or smaller don't move much after a hit and it keeps the pelts in excellent condition as well.
`

I didn't even catch the WSM. :eek:: I have HMR on the brain. Still really light bullets though. Being able to reload it gives you a lot more variety than I've seen in 17HMR offerings though.

·
Banned
4,841 Posts
WSM is still a rimfire but about 500 fps faster.
Is it? I've never seen one & I've just never had much interest in .17 cal. I was surprised when my dad got the 17HMR & I asked him why he got it & he basically only bought it cause it was a good deal. If people like them more power to them but they don't tickle my fancy. Heck even when I was a kid one of the first things I saved up for was a 22cal pellet gun cause the 17 was just too puny for me even when I was puny.

·
Banned
4,841 Posts
The hottest 22lr load runs about 1400+/- FPS. 17wsm runs 3,000 FPS
I'm not sure what the official hottest 22LR runs, but CCI stinger is rated at 1640fps & is 32grains. You can easily find 22LR in the 36-40 grain range going over 1200fps. Most of the 17HMR I've seen around here at least is usually 17 grains, maybe 20. While that speed is nice, I'd rather have a bullet that weighs 2-3x as much going ~2/3 the speed & costs 1/3 the price. Like I said, if it floats your boat, by all means enjoy it, I just don't have any desire for it or see it having enough benefits over a 22LR or 22WMR to add another caliber to my collection. :thumb:

·
Vigilant Curmudgeon
489 Posts
Good choice , after invasive surgery. You will in top shape by late spring. I think you will be real happy with that little laser beam.
I took some healing time too. 2 stents ( angioplasty) within 10 days. (September)

I tried to be the real Dean , by working a gig on the 9th day. Did not work to my betterment.

·
Swift Justice = 2950fps
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good choice , after invasive surgery. You will in top shape by late spring. I think you will be real happy with that little laser beam.
I took some healing time too. 2 stents ( angioplasty) within 10 days. (September)

I tried to be the real Dean , by working a gig on the 9th day. Did not work to my betterment.
I’m sure you were every bit as good if not better than the real Dean.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Just a thought but several summers ago my horse threw me and I spend several weeks in the hospital with a skull fracture. When I got squared away I purchased a 28 ga O/U. the reduced recoil allowed me to continue hunting that fall. your choice of firearms was a good thing. Enjoy it and hope your health is now great.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have a 17hmr Savage. Probably same model as op. Deadly accurate. I’ll squirrel hunt with it some with dogs. Everyone else totes 12 gauges. I can stop 75 yards back and find the squirrel with binoculars. You can shoot a squirrel in the eye at 75 yards.

Also shoot a 22 when I’m by myself. Need quick follow up shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 44 Posts