Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Barrio Bajo Señor
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw my neighbors son(kid) washing his Hemi Challenger today and curiously asked him what kind of gas mileage he gets on the thing and he proudly says 16 then goes on to tell me he pays $80 every 3 days like he’s bragging about it or something.

A quick calculation in my head tells me $800 a month for fuel on a $20/hr job that clears around $2400 a month along with a hefty car payment and insurance means he’s probably gonna be living with mommy and daddy for a while.

·
Registered
731 Posts
well he seems to like his life. and at least he is washing his car and taking care of it.

lots of people make bad decisions. its not agin the law, stupid but not agin the law.

when i left my parents house i was driving a paid for car worth about 500$ it was reliable because i made it that way with skill my dad taught me.

i taught my son the same skills my dad taught me. even tho he now makes a lot of money he called me and told me that the things i exposed him to have saved him tons of money in the last few years.

my dad was a hell of a man and still is. he would of shamed me for owning a fancy car but still living under his roof.

shame is a powerfull motivator.

it should be used more.

·
Barrio Bajo Señor
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a friend that works at a grocery store and he had a co worker that was commuting 120 miles in an older Suburban getting like 15 miles a gallon, burning through 20 gallons of fuel just to get to and from a grocery store job, $80 a day in today’s California gas prices, yeah I’d rather stay home

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I drive a 2011 chevy 2500 4x4 crew cab 8 ft service body loaded down with hvac tools, I buy about $40 a day in gas, 5-6 days a week. This was before gas went up, now that it has gone up I'll start buying $50 a day.
Some days I have to use 2 trucks on the road at the same time me in 1 and my help in the other.
Thanks Biden

·
Registered
541 Posts
Such is the price for driving a muscle car. I drive a 2011 mustang w/6 spd everyday to work and commute ~70 miles a day. It gets 23-26 mpg between fill-ups depending on how much in-town driving I do as most is highway. I previously had an 06 automatic and averaged 18-19 mpg. Being a mustang guy, the 2011 is the 16th and I still have #3 (a 69), I didn't buy any of them for the mileage.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Such is the price for driving a muscle car. I drive a 2011 mustang w/6 spd everyday for work and commute ~70 miles a day. It gets 23-26 mpg between fill-ups depending on how much in-town driving I do as most is highway. I previously had an 06 automatic and averaged 18-19 mpg. Being a mustang guy, the 2011 is the 16th and I still have #3 (a 69), I didn't buy any of them for the mileage.
I just picked up a 2020 Mustang which has 3700 miles on it. I got the Ecoboost turbo and the 6-speed manual. I was considering a 5.0, but that used premium and gets 1/2 the fuel manage. The car has plenty of power at 310 HP. I was our east a few weeks back and got 31 MPG.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I saw my neighbors son(kid) washing his Hemi Challenger today and curiously asked him what kind of gas mileage he gets on the thing and he proudly says 16 then goes on to tell me he pays $80 every 3 days like he’s bragging about it or something.

A quick calculation in my head tells me $800 a month for fuel on a $20/hr job that clears around $2400 a month along with a hefty car payment and insurance means he’s probably gonna be living with mommy and daddy for a while.
I’ve never understood people that drive big gas guzzling trucks as daily drivers that don’t actually need a truck for work.

·
What... me worry??
401 Posts
OK boomer.

Apparently you’ve forgotten how it is to be young. As someone who got to cruise along the Jersey shore in my black w/ silver/grey interior Camaro, the COST of this activity was NEVER factored in. The benefits far outweighed the money.

If I had to do it all over again... I’d find a way to do it more. If I do it now, they’ll think I escaped from a wrinkle ranch (retirement community).

·
Barrio Bajo Señor
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’ve never understood people that drive big gas guzzling trucks as daily drivers that don’t actually need a truck for work.

reminds me of these guys going for groceries in my big 1mil city on lifted trucks and huge all terrain tires, there’s nowhere to put it in 4 wheel drive and go mudding anywhere close, the fools are using it to commute and daily drive

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
10,733 Posts
Guy I worked w offshore, Galley Helper,minimum wage, maybe a 1.00 more an hr, works 14/7, wormy little dude,, someone saw him on his week off,3 pc suit, driving a brand new Camaro, hanging out at upscale oilfield clubs, passing as an ‘oil executive’…
We did the math, on his week off he either was living in that car or had a free hut somewhere-takes all kinds I guess

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
OK boomer.

Apparently you’ve forgotten how it is to be young. As someone who got to cruise along the Jersey shore in my black w/ silver/grey interior Camaro, the COST of this activity was NEVER factored in. The benefits far outweighed the money.

If I had to do it all over again... I’d find a way to do it more. If I do it now, they’ll think I escaped from a wrinkle ranch (retirement community).
There's nothing wrong with having a nice car BUT paying $800 on gas and living in your parents basement isn't something to brag about.

·
Registered
541 Posts
OK boomer.

I have a neighbor who is 70+ who has a couple Model As, a Model A indy style racecar he built from scratch and spare Model A parts, a Porsche Speedster, and a FFR Cobra replica. I've ridden with him in his cobra, it'll put you back in the seat and is stupid fast.

·
Ordinary Average Guy
1,174 Posts
Unfortunately most of the crew I work with pull campers to the job, then have to drive the truck daily. Most also have a tool box that weighs several hundred pounds in the back.
Being the engineer, my tool is a laptop, so I cruise in a Focus that gets 39.5mpg on the highway. Drops to 34 around town.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
17,620 Posts
I had a difficult childhood, and before I was diagnosed with my disability I realized pretty quick the older kids in my family who had a car had to still live at home. I did not get a car, rode the bus, moved out the day after I turned 18.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts