Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those who know my mother know she is not prone to hysterics or being easily swayed by popular sentiment or hot button issues. She has lived through much. She is old enough to remember her father calling her mother to tell them WWII was 'over', and her mother gave her the phone so her father could tell her, too. She said she didn't understand much about the war as she was so young, but she understood the end of it was a great and historic event.

She lived through a polio epidemic, catching it and surviving it relatively unscathed. She's been from fairly well off to dirt poor to middle class. Lost her parents and a child. A staunch Christian and believer in the work ethic. So there is not much that gets her worried. But the corona virus has her worried.

We were talking the other day and she said she remembers her grandmother talking about how hard the Spanish flu hit rural areas in 1918. Obviously, being rural didn't help at all back then. There is a cemetery in Caddo, Tx. I've been in where there are so many headstones with the date of death being 1918, and a sad number of those were child's headstones.

My mother called me a while ago to make sure I have plenty of preps in case the coronavirus begins to take hold in the general population like the Spanish flu did, and we all have to stay home for an undetermined amount of time. She knows I'm a prepper, and she knows I've always worried because basically, they are not. In the past several years they do keep more food on hand, but not more than a few weeks worth at most. And if they lost electricity and lost the contents of their chest freezer, cut that time in half.

I said yes mom, I have plenty of preps but I have been adding to them lately and plan on doing a major shop in the next few days when my knee is up to it. She said they are going tomorrow and are going to 'spend big' on it. Of course to her spending 'big' on anything is not really my idea of spending big, but it's better than nothing.

She also was talking about other prep type issues. And I just thought of something I need to ask her about tomorrow---what about their meds? I need to see if they have some on hand. God knows Walgreens would be the last place I'd go in a pandemic.

So yeah, my mom, the prepper!

Y'all, I am so, so proud of her I could burst!

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
We have 2-3 years of food preps.
I am still prepping. Have quite a bit of medical supplies but my biggest worry is my husbands meds. They come in a 90 day supply so nothing to store unless he forgets a day now and then. He needs his heart meds and glaucoma meds. those are the most important. His blood pressure can be monitored some with a rigid diet. I will feed family but they are on their own for script meds.

·
BASS
2,095 Posts
You are a lucky son of a Prepped Mother. I can't get my wife to stock more than a month at best. "We have enough"!

So as I have said before, "I prep and hide the goods". She will be happy someday I hope..... :rolleyes:

This virus can get "out of control very fast". Let's pray it doesn't... We all may suffer. :eek::

Those who know my mother know she is not prone to hysterics or being easily swayed by popular sentiment or hot button issues. She has lived through much. She is old enough to remember her father calling her mother to tell them WWII was 'over', and her mother gave her the phone so her father could tell her, too. She said she didn't understand much about the war as she was so young, but she understood the end of it was a great and historic event.

She lived through a polio epidemic, catching it and surviving it relatively unscathed. She's been from fairly well off to dirt poor to middle class. Lost her parents and a child. A staunch Christian and believer in the work ethic. So there is not much that gets her worried. But the corona virus has her worried.

We were talking the other day and she said she remembers her grandmother talking about how hard the Spanish flu hit rural areas in 1918. Obviously, being rural didn't help at all back then. There is a cemetery in Caddo, Tx. I've been in where there are so many headstones with the date of death being 1918, and a sad number of those were child's headstones.

My mother called me a while ago to make sure I have plenty of preps in case the coronavirus begins to take hold in the general population like the Spanish flu did, and we all have to stay home for an undetermined amount of time. She knows I'm a prepper, and she knows I've always worried because basically, they are not. In the past several years they do keep more food on hand, but not more than a few weeks worth at most. And if they lost electricity and lost the contents of their chest freezer, cut that time in half.

I said yes mom, I have plenty of preps but I have been adding to them lately and plan on doing a major shop in the next few days when my knee is up to it. She said they are going tomorrow and are going to 'spend big' on it. Of course to her spending 'big' on anything is not really my idea of spending big, but it's better than nothing.

She also was talking about other prep type issues. And I just thought of something I need to ask her about tomorrow---what about their meds? I need to see if they have some on hand. God knows Walgreens would be the last place I'd go in a pandemic.

So yeah, my mom, the prepper!

Y'all, I am so, so proud of her I could burst!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Most insurance companies aren't going to let you get or pay for more meds ahead of time. You could possibly try and tell them you are going on vacation or something but I doubt you will have luck. The one thought would be to go across the boarder but if you go south you could get sugar pills and not the real stuff.

My mom thinks about it but doesn't really do anything. She seems to think a weeks worth of extra food is enough. I am slowly trying to get more for the both of us.

·
BASS
2,095 Posts
What you all call prepping, my folks and grand parents called daily life.

You Mom is a head of the curve. give her an atta Girl from all of us.
My English Grandparents prepped all the time it was "just daily life" as you say. They having gone through WW1 and WW2 and Depression in Europe it was "daily life" just too have food for the belly and products we all take for granted now. They raised meat rabbits just to have some meat. I am talking 11 pound and up rabbits. Not you little white rabbits we usually think of.

Prep now!

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My great grandparents on one side of the family were from Europe and also lived a prepping way of life. Oddly, though, where they were from it was actually more common for the middle and lower class to rent their home their entire life instead of buying. Only after they came to America and rented for a while did they realize they could buy their own home for what they were paying in rent every month. So they were actually more self sufficient here than they were in Europe. I can't imagine being 80 or 90 and still paying rent! No wonder so many people were destitute over there.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,834 Posts
I need your mother to talk to my mother. She's not worried about this stuff and is still planning on going on a cruise to the Bahamas. She still thinks everything's oky doky and everybody's "making a mountain out of a mole hill," her words. Gggrrrrr

Reactions: Mazarine33

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,947 Posts
My adoptive mother is on a minimalist kick and gave away all the preps I gave her. Super frustrating.

Last time I asked, Dad said he only had a couple days of his heart medication.

Reactions: gsrr and Mazarine33
1 - 9 of 9 Posts