Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Urban Van Survivor 1 Year
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mother and Father own a house in a large city. My parent know things are getting bad int he world however they really aren't doing anything to prepare. My mom is not interested at all in the inconveniences of prepping and/or relocating to a more sustainable location. If and when I have a place, I'm concerned my mom won't even bug out when it is necessary. And if she does decide to bug out, the lack of mental preparation would be make it a very traumatic transition for her. My dad, I'm not so concerned with.
The thing that gets me is that even urban survival will not be feasible for my parents due to a lack of planning and prepping. :(

How do you guys deal with this type of thing?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
My mom was like that too, but now she realizes that some prepping is a good thing. She has a problem finding food that she and my dad like, that will store. My dad is mentally ill and has various physical issues, and he is a VERY finicky eater. He demands fresh meat or fish every day. He drinks milk, even though he's likely allergic to casein. My parents built their dream home in a very desirable subdivision of acre lots, on the northern edge of Sacramento. They of course refuse to leave, and besides they're underwater on the mortgage. My dad needs familiar surroundings and stability, and there are features of the custom built house that he needs. My parents are hoping that things don't get too bad. As far as I'm concerned, when you're 65 you've already made your major life decisions, and you must sleep in the bed you made. I want to get my debts paid down, then I'll move away.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Some people just wont budge and there isn't much you can do about it. Aside from storing some food and extra water at their home, there isn't a lot you can do. Protecting one's home in a large city will be difficult, but when the SHTF they may be more willing to just bug out than you think. Crisis changes people. Regardless, any SHTF is going to be tough psychologically...no matter how much or little you have prepared, in my opinion.

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, but the area they live in isn't the best choice. I'm heavily considering relocating nearly a thousand miles away. it's long trip to bug out.

·
Registered
305 Posts
we have only a small level of prep (but growing) and i have explained to family, the stuck in with no water for a couple of days, or all sick and cant face going out / bad weather and cant drive to shops, once you get that chat going everyone has a story about when this or that failed for a day, then tell them you worry about them and would feel better about moving if they had a couple of extras in the cupboard.

small steps and do it at there pace, and once you get them moving you may find they see the light.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Your mom is just even with you for the times you were a pain when you were young. remember when you were a child and could not protect yourself from unknown problems. She kept you safe now its your turn. Prepair for her and do what is needed so they have what they need if it becomes unavailable. AS for the move its her choice.

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your mom is just even with you for the times you were a pain when you were young. remember when you were a child and could not protect yourself from unknown problems. She kept you safe now its your turn. Prepair for her and do what is needed so they have what they need if it becomes unavailable. AS for the move its her choice.

I completely agree with you on this. It's just difficult to accept. (Their choices to sit tight.)

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,135 Posts
yes, but the area they live in isn't the best choice. I'm heavily considering relocating nearly a thousand miles away. it's long trip to bug out.
Your world as you know it can end at any time. If you are ok with relying on the government to take care of your mom until you can get there two days latter, then move.

If you need to move to take better care of yourself and your new family, then move.

Your parents must also be given the opportunity to make their own choices-good or bad. A family is a great place to practice communism. It is, however, each persons choice to continue or separate from such an arrangement once you become an adult. (I’m thinking more along the lines of a family farm than just living in your parents basement).

If they are retired, involve them in your plans. Why is it better for you to move. Would they like to pickup and move also or stay.

If they believe nothing bad can happen, they may be part of the problem. It may be time to cut them loose. You must respect their choice - their liberty to do so.

You do have a lot to think about.

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If they are retired, involve them in your plans. Why is it better for you to move. Would they like to pickup and move also or stay.
It is becoming more and more difficult to be self sufficient in California without having major dollars to invest into it.

·
Those were the days....
4,542 Posts
I think alot of people share your folks mindset. Even given the opportunity, they wouldnt bug out. Most people arent mentally, let alone physically prepared to just leave their home. Its all they have, and in some cases, all they`ve ever known.

This is why i dont buy into some peoples idea that hoardes of sheeple will come streaming out of the cities into the countryside when things get bad.

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...Most people arent mentally, let alone physically prepared to just leave their home. Its all they have, and in some cases, all they`ve ever known.

This is why i dont buy into some peoples idea that hoardes of sheeple will come streaming out of the cities into the countryside when things get bad.
I agree with this. At best they will maybe go a few miles. But most would give up and go back to their own home. They would probably get lost and frustrated at their inability to survive in un-familiar territory.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
If you have a wife & kids, they are your first concern. You said your dad needed special extras that are built into the home they have now. Your mom probably wouldn't want to live without your dad anyway. I wouldn't want to live with out my wife.

My mom got very hard to care for before she passed. I miss her & loved her deeply but, I'm glad she didn't get any worse before she passed. The elderly can be alot harder to care for than a new born. I'm not saying you should turn your back on her but, she is an adult & makes her own decisions. Perhaps she wouldn't want to go with you because she feels your chances are better on your own.

·
(-.(-.-).-)
118 Posts
My mom is the same. She doesn't want to listen to me, she is too scared, she wants to live in some dream world. If I try to prepare, she is against it (like most folks around) she is sheeple, sad to admit it but it's true.

She is against all the preps and SHTF/disater planning. She is like OMG please stop talking about it, if it will happen we can do nothing so stop thinking about it.. meh
Unfortunately I think she is going to be from the first that are going to pass if something really bad hit us. She is unable to change her life and she doesn't really want to.

I still have some hope that she is going to open her eyes and if something hit us she will change and survive, but most of it is a wishful thinking.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My mom is the same. She doesn't want to listen to me, she is too scared, she wants to live in some dream world. If I try to prepare, she is against it (like most folks around) she is sheeple, sad to admit it but it's true.

She is against all the preps and SHTF/disater planning. She is like OMG please stop talking about it, if it will happen we can do nothing so stop thinking about it.. meh
Unfortunately I think she is going to be from the first that are going to pass if something really bad hit us. She is unable to change her life and she doesn't really want to.

I still have some hope that she is going to open her eyes and if something hit us she will change and survive, but most of it is a wishful thinking.
Maybe we'll all be lucky and nothing bad will happen. We can always have hope, right? I am just glad we have the ability to plan for the alternative.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My dad is mentally ill and has various physical issues.
I know what this is like because I went through the same thing with my Uncle before he died. Dementia, Parkinson's disease, Chronic Pain, Dialysis 2X per week, Diabetes, Special diet, Pace Maker, in and out of the hospital 6-7 times over a 4 year period and was on at least 15 medications spread out four times a day.

Is your Dad dependent on a lot of meds?

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's their life, you must let them live it......no matter how painful it is for you or them. You can't make them do what you think or even know is best. Kinda like they knew you were going to get hurt as a kid because you were making a bad choice. It might have been the girl they knew would break your heart or the front teeth you were going to loose because you saw "a guy on TV do it." They tried to protect you but they could only do so much. They knew you might get killed on your bike, skateboard, tree house etc. They also knew they had to take that chance and let you live.

Maybe they are tired of the fight and if things get worse they don't want to go on.
Just be ready to help them if they change their minds at the last minute.

Here are a couple thoughts that I have learned and shared with EMS workers over the years. They may or may not help you.

The sad truth is people die every day....some go willingly, others fight tooth and nail for every second. We can not stop it. It hurts, it sucks, it ain't fair and there ain't a damn thing we can do to fix it.

Until the name on your drivers license says "God" don't try to take on his responsibilities.

At the end of your shift be able to look deep into the eyes you see in the mirror and say that you provided every patient with the best chance they had to survive. The rest is between them, God and the surgeon.

Good luck

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
It's their life, you must let them live it......no matter how painful it is for you or them. You can't make them do what you think or even know is best. Kinda like they knew you were going to get hurt as a kid because you were making a bad choice. It might have been the girl they knew would break your heart or the front teeth you were going to loose because you saw "a guy on TV do it." They tried to protect you but they could only do so much. They knew you might get killed on your bike, skateboard, tree house etc. They also knew they had to take that chance and let you live.

Maybe they are tired of the fight and if things get worse they don't want to go on.
Just be ready to help them if they change their minds at the last minute.

Here are a couple thoughts that I have learned and shared with EMS workers over the years. They may or may not help you.

The sad truth is people die every day....some go willingly, others fight tooth and nail for every second. We can not stop it. It hurts, it sucks, it ain't fair and there ain't a damn thing we can do to fix it.

Until the name on your drivers license says "God" don't try to take on his responsibilities.

At the end of your shift be able to look deep into the eyes you see in the mirror and say that you provided every patient with the best chance they had to survive. The rest is between them, God and the surgeon.

Good luck

A wonderful post! It says everything I was going to say; good thing I read the last post in the thread instead of answering right after I read the first post. :rolleyes:

By the way, just 2 things I'd like to add. First...65 is not necessarily old :D: and second, it's our job to drive you young 'uns crazy. :D:

Do what you can, but ultimately learn just what you do have control over and what you don't. Be well.

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
Moms driving their kids crazy. Wow, THAT'S unusual! :rolleyes:

Prep for her, that's all you can do. If she makes it to your place in an emergency, you'll have stuff for her; if she doesn't, you'll have additional for your own use.

·
Registered
75 Posts

I have much the same issue. My dad is also prepping but my mom is seriously sabotaging all the work we are try to do. Just yesterday we had a fight on this since I was checking online shopping on some stuff to get for prepping she freaked out cause she was so sick of my dad and my crap.... blah blah blah. We're not forcing her and we're not even talking to her about it any more but every time me and my dad and hubby talk prepping she catches a fit about it.

We are prepping for a group of about 19 or more and it does put stress on you if your walking on egg shells when it comes to this. My dad and hubby wanted to go to the BOL this weekend to do some prepping there but after another scene from my mom thy decided to rather go maybe next week.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts